Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

Just don't see a spot for Elias anymore, though I'd love to see him dress somehow one more time so we can all give him a proper sendoff.

He wouldn't be effective in a 4th line role, and even a 3rd line role is pushing it IMO.  But there's absolutely no space for him in the top-6, unless Cammy goes down or something.

If he wasn't considered when Hall, Cammy, and Palmieri were out for a little while then I think it might never happen.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Just don't see a spot for Elias anymore, though I'd love to see him dress somehow one more time so we can all give him a proper sendoff.

He wouldn't be effective in a 4th line role, and even a 3rd line role is pushing it IMO.  But there's absolutely no space for him in the top-6, unless Cammy goes down or something.

If he wasn't considered when Hall, Cammy, and Palmieri were out for a little while then I think it might never happen.

Not only that, but there's also the possibility that his knee just isn't going to get where he needs it to be. 

The death knell for the possibility of an Elias return, in my opinion, has been the viability of Miles Wood in the bottom-6, and how he's only getting better. He's making waves in his limited minutes, and when he wasn't there, Kalinin was doing okay as well. If neither of them showed up to play this season, there's a spot for Elias on the 3rd and 4th lines, but that hasn't been the case at all fortunately/unfortunately.

Edited by DJ Eco

So am I assuming that Viola has to give up/sell his stake or ownership (not sure how much of the Panthers he owns) now that he has a government position?

It's being put in a trust and his family will continue to own the majority stake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

First the flyers, now the jackets... Metro division has had some insane winning streaks this year.

Tortorella being so successful with the Jackets is making me sick. I have no idea how he's doing it with that lineup. 

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Tortorella being so successful with the Jackets is making me sick. I have no idea how he's doing it with that lineup. 

Their roster isn't bad - last year they got crushed by injuries and they added Werenski who has been real good, Wennberg has taken a step and so on. Their PDO is high and they're not the best team in the league or anything, but they're good (not great).

On the other hand, the long term outlook with some of those deals, is kinda bleak.

Edited by Marshall

I actually like their roster a lot, have good goaltending, a good defense with Jones, Savard, Johnson, and Werenski, and a forward group that has a good blend of skill and grit with Saad, Jenner, Wennberg, Foligno, Dubinsky, and Atkinson. I kinda thought they would be this team last year, but wrote em off this year when I saw them struggle under Tortorella, who has probably been the biggest surprise out of the success that Columbus is having. After his World Cup debacle everyone wanted to see Tortorella fail and all he's done is get the very most out of that Columbus team every night.

1 hour ago, BostonNala370 said:

Congrats to Jagr for getting 1888 points breaking the tie and claiming 2nd place. I don't  see him getting  to first  place but quite an accomplishment for  a 44 year old hockey player . 

Agree no change catching Gretz, but if he plays a couple of more years he could get 2,000 points which would be incredible!

1 hour ago, BostonNala370 said:

Congrats to Jagr for getting 1888 points breaking the tie and claiming 2nd place. I don't  see him getting  to first  place but quite an accomplishment for  a 44 year old hockey player . 

Imagine if he didnt go to Russia for a bit and didn't miss a bunch of games cause of all the lockouts? Crazy 

19 hours ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Wouldnt mind having JVR here, I still remember him playing hockey in HS, near by. Would be great to have another Jersey native back, and good player to boot.

Agreed but I just shudder at what it would take to pry him from the stubborn old prick who already set us back almost a decade.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2016 at 6:19 PM, BostonNala370 said:

It's OK there is always next year it's rare that a wealthy white guy invites a black guy with his family for Christmas dinner. I am not going anywhere unless Trump  deports me and my family. 

I don't know why you brought race and economics into it (for the record.. I'm four years removed from college.  I don't think 'wealthy' is an accurate description at all) but all I can say to you is:

347tkqc.jpg

Edited by Devilsfan118

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I don't know why you brought race and economics into it (for the record.. I'm four years removed from college.  I don't think 'wealthy' is an accurate description at all) but all I can say to you is:

347tkqc.jpg

Let me offer you and yours a healthy  and a prosperous New Year. May you have guidance from above to be a better person. We look forward to your invite next year.