Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

To be fair, Marleau has never won anything either.

I think MD2020 was saying "Who's Roenick to talk?", when it came to Roenick criticizing a player who hasn't won anything. 

Based on the links I provided, seems like Roenick almost has an obsession with Marleau. 

The title of Roenick's book is hilarious. The dude really seems to have some grand illusions. They honored him the other night in Chicago, and he came out skating in full equipment. Whether that was his idea or not, any reasonable person is going to understand how ridiculous that is and not do it.

12 minutes ago, ringtwins said:

Him and amonte in nhl 94 game on Playstation 1were unstoppable

Add in Chelios on D, Larmer and his slapper on the other wing, and Belfour in net, and that team was unbeatable.  Loved playing with them in that game vs. my friends. 

Spoiler

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 11:23 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Roenick is a blowhard a$$hole. Also a loser on the ice who never won anything. He should keep his big mouth shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the guy who had a press conference in his own hotel room after having surgery to fix a broken jaw??? Dude couldn't shut up if you stuck a gun in his mouth :D

• Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 10:10 AM, mfitz804 said:

Right. I guess when I think of "dominant" I think more in terms of big chunks of one's career rather than for one season. Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman..those kind of guys were truly dominant. 

In fairness, Yzerman scored a ton early in his career but it wasn't until he dialed it back on scoring and became more of a two way guy  that the Red Wings became a championship caliber team.  I'm by no means trying to start a Yzerman vs Elias debate but sometimes I think it gets held against Patrik that he played a two way game from essentially day one instead of showing that he could really pile up points (by forgetting the defensive zone) early in his career. 

Anyway, I would say being a point per game in '99-'00, scoring or assisting on what seemed like every major goal in the 2000 cup run and then finishing 3rd in the league in points in '00-'01 while having a ridiculous +45 is pretty damn dominant.  

On 1/24/2017 at 0:05 PM, thecoffeecake said:

The title of Roenick's book is hilarious. The dude really seems to have some grand illusions. They honored him the other night in Chicago, and he came out skating in full equipment. Whether that was his idea or not, any reasonable person is going to understand how ridiculous that is and not do it.

Ew are you serious?

On 1/24/2017 at 10:34 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Despite the EGG line coming together late in the season, that year really shows how Lou didn't always do a good job giving Elias more of a supporting cast, or finding the right complementary players.  It seemed like Elias had to fight a lot of years to get his offense...almost to the point where you wondered how might have fared elsewhere. 

In much the same way that Marty covered Lou's back side for assembling some really bad defenses post Niedermayer, there were many seasons where Elias basically single handedly gave us a decent second line by dragging around guys like Clarkson, and the ghosts of Sykora and Rolston when we really should have been adding another top 6 to the roster.    

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Member when the ASG was something to be excited about?

berries.JPG

This would be the perfect weekend to hold the Winter Classic.  Better chance of cold weather and no college football bowl games.     

What's different about this year's all star weekend that it sucks so bad? No one cared about it leading up, there was no buzz surrounding it at all, and the atmosphere is terrible. I thought Columbus was ok and really hoped Nashville with what a huge success it was would turn the event around. Maybe not.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Love Snoop. I got a hug from him for giving him a bottle of Hennessy XO when he played the Super Bowl after party when it was in Jacksonville (I bartended the after party for the Patriots after they won the Super Bowl. Also met Lionel Ritchie and the second black guy and Asian guy from the Black Eyed Peas).

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

Princeton beat #5 Penn State at Wells Fargo Center tonight! A really big deal for the Tigers program. So satisfying to see Penn State lose these Philly games, it drives me nuts seeing them trying to push their brand in the city. Their basketball team beat Michigan State at the Palestra a few weeks ago, and the media was talking it up as a huge victory for Penn State in this part of PA. Nice to see them fall on their face pushing their hockey team here, but even better for Princeton to get such a huge win on a big stage in a hostile environment. I really wanted to go but tickets were too pricey for me.

What's different about this year's all star weekend that it sucks so bad? No one cared about it leading up, there was no buzz surrounding it at all, and the atmosphere is terrible. I thought Columbus was ok and really hoped Nashville with what a huge success it was would turn the event around. Maybe not.

All-star weekends always suck and the game itself is a joke, so I don't know what's any different about this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, lazer said:

imagine gretzky as devils coach haha

I would rather fornicate myself with a hot poker, stick needles in my eyes, and stand under the departure end of a runway just beyond the rotate point and let jets blow out my ear drums than have that man as coach...

[really hoping this was in jest]

• Like 1