Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Which incident was the recent one that you were referring to though? 

Looking at that video compilation though, that's insane that he's done that so many times.  To be honest, it almost looks like that's how he was taught to skate and go into hits.  Not saying it's OK by any means, but he sure does a good job selling it and making it look "normal" and as if it was an accident.  

What was wrong with the hit at the 1 minute mark though?  It looked like a clean hip check to me.  And I loved at about the 2:40 mark the Penguin player axe chopped him with his stick after he tried to slewfoot him.  That's exactly what I would've done.  You wanna play like a bitch and cheap shot, be prepared for the same thing back you fvck.

Most recent is at 0:26, the Lightning player. He looks at him at least twice, so you can't even make the argument he didn't know he was there. 

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Most recent is at 0:26, the Lightning player. He looks at him at least twice, so you can't even make the argument he didn't know he was there. 

And he was fined $10k for the Kronwall incident that happened on 1/18

7 minutes ago, Crisis said:

And he was fined $10k for the Kronwall incident that happened on 1/18

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yeah both of those looked really blatant based on where they were on the ice and what was happening in the play.  I specifically thought the Kronwall one was awful, there was just no one else around him.

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck that. Gelinas is terrible. Moore's been out for a month and hasn't been the least bit missed.

Moore is awful defensively, but he's useful on the power play.  Gelinas is at worst unreliable defenseively, and is even better than Moore on the power play.  Gelinas had a CFRel of 9.0 with the Devils last year.  Dude brings more positives than negatives.

1 hour ago, Mike Brown said:

Moore is awful defensively, but he's useful on the power play.  Gelinas is at worst unreliable defenseively, and is even better than Moore on the power play.  Gelinas had a CFRel of 9.0 with the Devils last year.  Dude brings more positives than negatives.

Not sure if you've watched many Colorado games this season, but Gelinas is straight up horrendous. He's getting Waived by the Avalanche....the Avalanche!  Probably one of the worst defenses in the league. But hey, at least he can shoot the puck into the glass harder than most in the league. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

I hope Ray gets Gelinas back.  If Moore is gonna be out, we could really use Gelinas on the PP.  He's not nearly as bad as people think.

I don't see how he really contributes anything to our defense that makes him worth taking back. the only thing he has to offer is that monster shot which isn't even accurate. I do not think we would be stupid enough to take him back, lets continue to move forward not backward to old pieces that didn't work while they were here the first time around.

37 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I don't see how he really contributes anything to our defense that makes him worth taking back. the only thing he has to offer is that monster shot which isn't even accurate. I do not think we would be stupid enough to take him back, lets continue to move forward not backward to old pieces that didn't work while they were here the first time around.

Exactly, bringing back Gelly would be a Lou type move. No thanks.

5 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

But he was a 98% on the suck-o-meter.

• Like 1

Roenick will be proud.

If Marleau wins a Cup before he retires, I hope he shows up at Roenick's house unannounced with the Cup and a case and just drinks beer out of the Cup in Roenick's yard until the case is finished or the cops are called, whatever happens first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Dude, take 5 minutes to read about what Avs fans have to say about Gelinas. He's the most hated person on the planet there.

He got some puck luck and had a fantastic shot in his first few years here. Lately, teams have realized that if you pressure him even a tiny bit at the point he'll turn the puck over. He's one of the worst players that's actively playing in the NHL. 

Exactly.  Admittedly, I'm not a Moneyball guy, and don't put a lot of stock in advanced stats.  Yes, they are a part of the game and should be looked at as part of making decisions on players.  But Gelinas is one of many examples as to why you can't rely on stats to tell the entire story of a player or a team. 

Gelinas is a slapshot, and nothing else.  Once teams figured out how to pressure and play him to prevent him from getting it off cleanly, he's useless out there.  The guy has no hockey sense, especially in his defensive end, and is a detriment at the NHL level.  That said, I'd take him on my men's league team anyday. 

On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

Until they put something meaningful on the line the players will always look bored.

You'd think a million bucks would do it, but apparently not.

I just watched the game and I already know these guys make a lot of money but they mentioned the million dollar prize so god damn much that I was irritated by the end of the damn thing. I already know these players make a sh!t ton more money then any of us will see in our lifetime but the fact they kept hammering the point about the million dollars really bugged me. They should be donating it to their own charity or their teams charity if they don't have one. The stupid mvp here's a truck thing I at least understand because the sponsors want eyes on the truck. 

Funny, I watched that Colorado-LA game that Gelinas got waived right after, and I thought that he looked better than he did here. An hour later he was gone. Not to say I thought he looked good with Colorado (I'd seen them a few other times this year and saw bits and pieces of him), but to illustrate how god awful he was here.

As for Marchand, it's amazing how he gets away with all this. Some of those low hits are definitely borderline, but the slewfoots are unquestionably dirty. He's lucky Brassard's leg didn't get caught up in the boards like it easily could have on that play. He could've shattered his leg or blown out his knee and ended his career.

Edited by thecoffeecake

On 1/30/2017 at 8:10 PM, MadDog2020 said:

I actually heard a while back they want to explore an arena in Queens. I doubt they move out of the area when it's all said and done. https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/the-islanders-may-be-getting-kicked-out-of-the-barclays-center-soon-013017%3Famp%3Dtrue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently Hartford is making a pitch to them

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hartford-makes-pitch-for-new-york-islanders-212520258.html

44 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Interesting. Can't see that happening as there would likely be better options but at this point options are a good thing for the Islanders.

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie

48 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Interesting. Can't see that happening as there would likely be better options but at this point options are a good thing for the Islanders.

I could see them trying to work a multi year holding spot up there to parlay that against Nassau County to upgrade or rebuild the Coliseum.

On 2/3/2017 at 5:33 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I spoke with someone last night pretty involved in the 'sports world' and he was very confident the Islanders will be moving to Connecticut.

I don't pretend to have connections or 'inside info' but I was surprised how 100% definitive he was.  Said it could happy as early as next season.

Just FWIW, take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I spoke with someone last night pretty involved in the 'sports world' and he was very confident the Islanders will be moving to Connecticut.

I don't pretend to have connections or 'inside info' but I was surprised how 100% definitive he was.  Said it could happy as early as next season.

Just FWIW, take it with a grain of salt.

like jagknife said, its totally plausible that they use Hartford as a "hold-out" of sorts until either Nassau gets updated somehow or perhaps the Wilpons build a stadium next to Citi Field. I would hope they go there as the Whalers though, that would be awesome.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

While the Whalers name and logo are more fitting, I don't see how you can change the identity of a team that's won so many cups.  

If the Islanders are forced to relocate, Hartford wouldn't be a horrible option.  It allows the die hards who continue to follow them to at least make a few weekend trips per year.  I hate ESPN but having a team in their backyard again probably has some advantages as well.