Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

11 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Fillip Forsberg now has 10 goals in the past 5 games. Someone tell him this isn't 1985.

He did the same thing last year. Forsberg is a big second half player. He had like no goals in mid-December. He's amazing.

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Subban returned to Montreal tonight: http://deadsp.in/Yui2xuH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously don't know what went on behind closed doors, but Subban seems like a genuinely good guy.

Might have a bit of an ego, but he sure does a lot of good for the community and says the right things in interviews. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Obviously don't know what went on behind closed doors, but Subban seems like a genuinely good guy.

Might have a bit of an ego, but he sure does a lot of good for the community and says the right things in interviews. 

I wonder how much of his "bad attitude" was Montreal media generated. They seem to pick certain people and turn them to villains up there. That trade will continue to look historically bad

22 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Subban returned to Montreal tonight: http://deadsp.in/Yui2xuH

Can someone fill me in on who the old lady is?

Good for PK though, very deserving of all the praise he gets, IMO

EDIT: Upon some research, I have come to find out she's Jean Beliveau's widow, and outside of his own parents/family, is his biggest fan.

Edited by jagknife

On 3/1/2017 at 10:02 AM, Derek21 said:

He did the same thing last year. Forsberg is a big second half player. He had like no goals in mid-December. He's amazing.

His first year he exploded mid season and totally dropped off the last two months or so if I recall correctly. He always scores like this.

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lars with a goal for Edmonton tonight

They eventually credited the goal to Kassian.  Still, it was a 2 assist night for Larsson although the first one was just a blocked shot that McDavid retrieved and then blew past two defenders to score.  That kid is something else.   

Roberto Luongo appeared in his 966th regular season game last Thursday...he recently passed Belfour (963 RSGP) for 4th on the all-time GP list for goalies...if he comes back from his injury (lower body, only supposed to be out a week), he should pass Sawchuk (971 RSGP) this season for 3rd.  He could pass Roy for second next season (1029 RSGP).

Still has exactly 300 games to go to catch Marty (1266 RSGP).  We know the balance of Marty's last four seasons were rough (especially the last two), but man it was insane how many games that guy managed to play.

Only active goalies that have any reach chance to play in 1000 regular season games are Lundqvist (735, just turned 35 years old last week) and MAF (685, now 32 years old).  Right now, I'd have to say that I don't think either one of them get there.  And it seems just about certain that MAF will have to do it with a new team. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It's blank for me, bank for anyone else? I bet its Rags related, in which case, I'm with you 100%. 

Yeah it was Rags logo, I actually walked out of the DD today, they grabbed the cup and I asked "is that on all of em"  she said yes.  Told her nevermind, and why, and then walked out...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It really sounds like the Coyotes aren't long for Arizona now: http://deadspin.com/gary-bettman-coyotes-cannot-and-will-not-remain-in-gl-1793078751

Ridiculous how long this was strung out. I have never seen in sports history a dead corpse propped up for this long, and for absolutely no reason that's of any benefit to the league. So many twists and turns in this saga.

Just give them to Quebec or Seattle already. They would fill the building every night.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2

Ridiculous how long this was strung out. I have never seen in sports history a dead corpse propped up for this long, and for absolutely no reason that's of any benefit to the league. So many twists and turns in this saga.

Just give them to Quebec or Seattle already. They would fill the building every night.

This sh!t has been going on in one form or another for eight years. EIGHT YEARS. Enough. Move 'em to Seattle or Portland and be done with it. It isn't gonna work there, that much is clear at this point.

• Like 1

It's blank for me, bank for anyone else? I bet its Rags related, in which case, I'm with you 100%. 

Yes DD coffee is apparently 'The official coffee of the NY Rangers'. I hate it when products I love associate with sports teams I loathe.

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This sh!t has been going on in one form or another for eight years. EIGHT YEARS. Enough. Move 'em to Seattle or Portland and be done with it. It isn't gonna work there, that much is clear at this point.

People are on the Braves case for ditching a perfectly adequate stadium after 20 years, the Coyotes have been in their new arena for barely 14! They think moving out of Glendale will solve anything?

It's Arizona, there are few hockey fans and those that do exist are snowbirds that cheer for other franchises.

• Like 2

And now Bettman softening his stance a bit: http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/18853872/not-giving-greater-phoenix

The writing is on the wall though.... I just don't see how that franchise stays there long term.

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

People are on the Braves case for ditching a perfectly adequate stadium after 20 years, the Coyotes have been in their new arena for barely 14! They think moving out of Glendale will solve anything?

It's Arizona, there are few hockey fans and those that do exist are snowbirds that cheer for other franchises.

That's where I am...why the hell should that team get a new building?  The Coyotes are the NHL's version of trying to make fetch happen.  It's not going to.  Stop it already. 

• Like 1

That's where I am...why the hell should that team get a new building?  The Coyotes are the NHL's version of trying to make fetch happen.  It's not going to.  Stop it already. 

The reason they want a new building is because apparently Glendale is waaaaaay the fvck out there in terms of location- it's no where near Phoenix and the traffic at rush hour near game times is supposedly brutal. Basically, the Coyotes are saying 'we can't succeed in Glendale because the location sucks relative to where most of our fans live'. That's why they're trying to get a new building in a more centralized location. The whole thing is a circus.

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And now Bettman softening his stance a bit: http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/18853872/not-giving-greater-phoenix

The writing is on the wall though.... I just don't see how that franchise stays there long term.

You're probably right.  There's already a backlash against publicly funded venues for pro sports teams, and it seems to be even more intense in Arizona, home of Barry Goldwalter.  Not to mention that Glendale could have set the money it used to finance whatever the name of the arena that the Coyotes play in on fire. 

The only thing that might change things would be if the Coyotes turn things around on the ice, and get reasonably close to winning a Cup.  They have a lot of young talent, a good coach and a smart GM, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility.  In all of the four sports leagues, when was the last time a team did a major relocation after a successful season?  (So the Raiders shuttling back and forth between Oakland and LA doesn't count in my book).  The Nordiques are the only one I can think of, and they were by far the worst team in hockey for a pretty long stretch a few years before they moved. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You're probably right.  There's already a backlash against publicly funded venues for pro sports teams, and it seems to be even more intense in Arizona, home of Barry Goldwalter.  Not to mention that Glendale could have set the money it used to finance whatever the name of the arena that the Coyotes play in on fire. 

The only thing that might change things would be if the Coyotes turn things around on the ice, and get reasonably close to winning a Cup.  They have a lot of young talent, a good coach and a smart GM, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility.  In all of the four sports leagues, when was the last time a team did a major relocation after a successful season?  (So the Raiders shuttling back and forth between Oakland and LA doesn't count in my book).  The Nordiques are the only one I can think of, and they were by far the worst team in hockey for a pretty long stretch a few years before they moved. 

They were pretty dreadful from 87-88 to 91-92 (after having made the playoffs in seven straight seasons), then were on the rise from 92-93 (despite a hiccup season in 93-94, when Owen Nolan missed most of the season, and Steve Duchesne was traded for pieces that didn't really work out for Quebec)...of course, Forsberg made his debut during the 95 season, then after some other tweaks, the Avs made the deal for Roy that put them over the top in 95-96.  Kind of a shame for Nords fans, in that the team was so close when they left. 

Also wonder what would've happened if Roy hadn't been left to wither and die in that 9-goal disaster...he was such a huge part of the Avs' success, even with all of that team's considerable talent.

This guy is a former Hockey Night in Canada/Rogers Hockey producer and hockey columnist. I'm sure he's speculating and probably doesn't know anything concrete, but it goes to show people are beginning to think that this time, it's really over in Arizona. The only thing is, I don't know how you move them to Quebec because of the imbalance issue- you'd have to send Detroit and/or Columbus back west, and I highly doubt that happens. This should be interesting to monitor. https://mobile.twitter.com/bigmouthsports/status/839524068986601474