Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The reason they want a new building is because apparently Glendale is waaaaaay the fvck out there in terms of location- it's no where near Phoenix and the traffic at rush hour near game times is supposedly brutal. Basically, the Coyotes are saying 'we can't succeed in Glendale because the location sucks relative to where most of our fans live'. That's why they're trying to get a new building in a more centralized location. The whole thing is a circus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think hockey was going to work there anyway but I have been to a game in Glendale and it is pretty retarded planning how remote the arena is from downtown and Scottsdale. The football stadium is way out there to but that is far less dates and obviously much more popular. If they would have correctly located the rink in the first place maybe this would have went differently but it seems overdue for the NHL to pull out of that market. Atlanta seemed to move almost overnight, I think they were talking about moving Phoenix before Atlanta and the Thrashers were gone years ago.

2 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I don't think hockey was going to work there anyway but I have been to a game in Glendale and it is pretty retarded planning how remote the arena is from downtown and Scottsdale. The football stadium is way out there to but that is far less dates and obviously much more popular. If they would have correctly located the rink in the first place maybe this would have went differently but it seems overdue for the NHL to pull out of that market. Atlanta seemed to move almost overnight, I think they were talking about moving Phoenix before Atlanta and the Thrashers were gone years ago.

The league was propping up Phoenix at the time. When Atlanta's owners decided they were done, the league had no choice. They couldn't keep both on life support. 

Is traffic really that bad in Phoenix / Glendale? I've never been so I have no clue. What's the excuse for the weekend games? I just looked up the directions from downtown Phoenix to the arena and its 15-17 miles depending on the route. That doesn't even account for the people who are in the other surrounding towns and cities in the area.  It just seems like a really poor excuse at this point. 

I know we have people here who go to games that drive a lot farther than that. 

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Looks like the cap will be going up next year. More tremendous news for us. emoji19.pnghttp://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/projected-cap-increase-would-make-life-that-much-easier-for-several-gms

I've never once expected the cap to drop, or even stay the same. Just no reason to expect it not to go up if history is any indication.

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Looks like the cap will be going up next year. More tremendous news for us. emoji19.pnghttp://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/projected-cap-increase-would-make-life-that-much-easier-for-several-gms

not favorable. I fear that again we won't sign any FA of consequence and it will be another round of utility players that no one else particularly wants and waiver claims.

22 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

not favorable. I fear that again we won't sign any FA of consequence and it will be another round of utility players that no one else particularly wants and waiver claims.

If Shattenkirk isn't a Devil come next season, it won't be because Shero didn't offer enough money.  I have faith we'll get it done.

Good a place as any to once again thank Conte and his team for going with ECHLer Connor Chatham instead of Braydon Point.  Gotta have those big prospects.

I was contemplating the same thing watching that Tampa-Rags game.

So serious question without being a wise ass and because I've never followed as closely as most of you.  Did Conte ever bring much if any value when it came to evaluating talent.    Up until the last year or two the minor league teams have been dreadful as they burn one market after another into the ground. I think if you combined Lowell, Albany and the Titans when they were around they made the playoffs something like 2 out of 15 seasons at one point so it appears he wasn't even drafting AHL quality players or at least enough of them.  It appeared the orgs plan was bank on a very small handful of guys that "may" at some point make it and fill those rosters with some of the cheapest guys you could find that were marginally talented.

Edited by titans04

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

So serious question without being a wise ass and because I've never followed as closely as most of you.  Did Conte ever bring much if any value when it came to evaluating talent.  In baseball terms what would his BA have been?  Up until the last year or two the minor league teams have been dreadful as they burn one market after another into the ground. I think if you combined Lowell, Albany and the Titans when they were around they made the playoffs something like 2 out of 15 seasons at one point so it appears he wasn't even drafting AHL quality players or at least enough of them.  It appeared the orgs plan was bank on a very small handful of guys that "may" at some point make it and fill those rosters with some of the cheapest guys you could find that were marginally talented.

Obviously the guy had some big hits, Elias in the second round, Gionta in the third or fourth, supposedly getting Lou to trade up to get Parise, Sykora, Severson in the late second round and probably a few others I can't think of right now.  And that doesn't take into account prospects Lou was able to trade for important players.  I can't get on him too much for most of the first round draft busts like Tedenby and Matteau since those guys were drafted right around where they were supposed to be. 

People disagree with me, but I think towards the end he became  obsessed with drafting physically big players with less regard for whether they had demonstrated they could put up strong offensive numbers at the junior level.  Seems like Conte and some other scouts were always looking for that elusive Milan Lucic-type prospect. 

At the time I was upset Conte didn't draft Point in the second round and was furious when he didn't in the third round.  I don't know the first thing about scouting, but that's one instance where I beat a pro scout team. 

On 08.03.2017 at 11:26 PM, MadDog2020 said:

The only thing is, I don't know how you move them to Quebec because of the imbalance issue- you'd have to send Detroit and/or Columbus back west, and I highly doubt that happens

They can keep them in the West. Theoretically. Reasons for Houston

1. More than 6 mln. metro population; 2. Excellent Toyota Center; 3. History of legendary Houston Aeros. Four-time WHA champions, four-time division champions and two-time Avco Trophy; 4. 'Texas derby' - Aeros vs. Stars;

Just an assumption, of course

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Looks like the 2018 Winter Classic will be Rags-Buffalo at Citi Field: http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2018-nhl-winter-classic-likely-to-be-held-at-citi-field-with-rangers-vs-sabres-sources-say-1.13268887

They're hosting it at Citi Field and not even including the Isles?

That said Citi Field is an ideal Winter Classic site due to how close the seats are to the field...but it's kind of weird having the nondescript practically Canada Sabres there.

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

That said Citi Field is an ideal Winter Classic site due to how close the seats are to the field...but it's kind of weird having the nondescript practically Canada Sabres there.

I guess they wanted two teams not in the same metro area due to TV ratings.

Apparently they included Buffalo because it will be the 10-year anniversary of the first WC, which the Sabres hosted.

I guess they wanted two teams not in the same metro area due to TV ratings.

That too.

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Looks like the 2018 Winter Classic will be Rags-Buffalo at Citi Field: http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2018-nhl-winter-classic-likely-to-be-held-at-citi-field-with-rangers-vs-sabres-sources-say-1.13268887

One of the comments on there sums it up perfectly for me "I hope it rains" 

• Like 2

fvck the Rags. It's too bad the NHL watered down the winter classic with all those other outdoor games and putting some of the same teams in multiple times. It could have been something special. 

Dallas is hitting rock bottom. If Lindy Ruff gets let go, Shero should pay him a phone call. He's a coach that knows how to get good things out of a limited lineup. Once the sh!t ownership in Buffalo finally built him a half decent team, he took them to the ECF. A shame that team blew up and let Drury and Briere go in the hight of the team's best performance in almost a decade. 

• Like 2

Rags can't play any home games outside of MSG per their tax deal with NYC.  Add the league's burning itch to have a NYC winter classic with the fact that they think it's bad business to have 2 local/geographical rivals play in the game, and you end up with a stupid situation where the Rags play the Sabres at Citifield with the Sabres being the home team.  

They might as well have the Caps or Blackhawks play the Rags at Citifield and be the home team.  The whole thing is a contrived farce anyway.  At least those 2 teams are interesting to watch.