Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

fvck the Rags. It's too bad the NHL watered down the winter classic with all those other outdoor games and putting some of the same teams in multiple times. It could have been something special. 

Dallas is hitting rock bottom. If Lindy Ruff gets let go, Shero should pay him a phone call. He's a coach that knows how to get good things out of a limited lineup. Once the sh!t ownership in Buffalo finally built him a half decent team, he took them to the ECF. A shame that team blew up and let Drury and Briere go in the hight of the team's best performance in almost a decade. 

I'd be fine with this.

Rags can't play any home games outside of MSG per their tax deal with NYC.  Add the league's burning itch to have a NYC winter classic with the fact that they think it's bad business to have 2 local/geographical rivals play in the game, and you end up with a stupid situation where the Rags play the Sabres at Citifield with the Sabres being the home team.  
They might as well have the Caps or Blackhawks play the Rags at Citifield and be the home team.  The whole thing is a contrived farce anyway.  At least those 2 teams are interesting to watch.

I didn't realize that about their deal with the city. Interesting bit of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I didn't realize that about their deal with the city. Interesting bit of info.

I got this info from when they had the Stadium Series at Yankee Stadium.  That's the reason the Devils and Isles were the "home" teams in those games.  Plus, I'm sure the NHL isn't too upset about it.  They have to buy out a Sabres home game, which will cost them a hell of a lot less than if it was a Rags home game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Rags can't play any home games outside of MSG per their tax deal with NYC.  Add the league's burning itch to have a NYC winter classic with the fact that they think it's bad business to have 2 local/geographical rivals play in the game, and you end up with a stupid situation where the Rags play the Sabres at Citifield with the Sabres being the home team.  

They might as well have the Caps or Blackhawks play the Rags at Citifield and be the home team.  The whole thing is a contrived farce anyway.  At least those 2 teams are interesting to watch.

They already had the Caps and Blackhawks or was that someone else. The Hawks participate in more outdoor games than anyone. Rangers played the Flyers in 2012 at Citizens Bank Park and the whole Stadium Series at Yankee Stadium. I love having the Sabres in it with Eichel. Don't forget there are other outdoor games. Hopefully, they will expand.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Brad Marchand has eight goals this month. He's tied with the Devils.

Brad Marchand 19-12-31 since 1/24. He should be up for the Hart.

7 hours ago, Derek21 said:

They already had the Caps and Blackhawks or was that someone else. The Hawks participate in more outdoor games than anyone. Rangers played the Flyers in 2012 at Citizens Bank Park and the whole Stadium Series at Yankee Stadium. I love having the Sabres in it with Eichel. Don't forget there are other outdoor games. Hopefully, they will expand.

My point was that the Sabres suck, nobody gives a sh!t about them and they have no national following.  Eichel is a good player, but if there is 1 entertaining player that is worth watching, it is the Oilers with McDavid.  There a lot better and more entertaining options to play the Rangers in this game, which should be the only outdoor game played every year - it has become watered down with the Stadium series IMO.  The Sabres being a NY based team doesn't cover the fact that this really is a Rags home game.

37 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

My point was that the Sabres suck, nobody gives a sh!t about them and they have no national following.  Eichel is a good player, but if there is 1 entertaining player that is worth watching, it is the Oilers with McDavid.  There a lot better and more entertaining options to play the Rangers in this game, which should be the only outdoor game played every year - it has become watered down with the Stadium series IMO.  The Sabres being a NY based team doesn't cover the fact that this really is a Rags home game.

I agree with you on your post, they could have picked a better team and there definitely should only be one outdoor game a year. I said as much earlier in the thread. I have tos say though, I prefer Eichel in the same way I prefer Patrick Kane... just because they're American ;).

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The NHL's bread and butter is local ratings.  The Sabres do HUGE ratings in their local market. Off the top of my head, they are 2nd only to Pittsburgh.  Remember, ratings are based on a percentage of households in the market.  So, Buffalo getting 300K viewers is a lot better for business than the Blackhawks getting 300K viewers in the Chicago Metropolitan Area.   Couple that with the big market rangers and that is all NBC cares about.  Nobody in the league does a good rating nationally or in neutral cities.  I'm sure the NHL expects the Sabres fans to travel for this one, but even if they do not the Rangers fans can easily fill up Citi.

Supposedly, the NHL had pushed for Rangers Isles in NY and Rangers Devils at the Meadowlands and NBC wasn't having it.  Wanted 2 distinct tv markets.  Hence, why they created the Stadium Series.

Edited by Matteau#32
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Sabres do big ratings and have a surprisingly large fanbase. They are fairly underrated in that regard; I personally like this Winter Classic matchup (from an objective and neutral point of view).

I've been to Buffalo and have seen how the local fan base gets hyped for games. I wouldn't be surprised to find they have a cult follow from their 2004-2007 era successes. My friend here in NJ is a fan that latched on when they lost to the Stars in the SCF. 

They do have a huge following aside from the percentages.  Their stretch of fans goes from Buffalo further east than Rochester, so probably a good chunk of fans that are outside what is considered local for tv accounting.  A lot of upstate people who want nothing to do with the NYC metro area and root for Buffalo instead.

7 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

They do have a huge following aside from the percentages.  Their stretch of fans goes from Buffalo further east than Rochester, so probably a good chunk of fans that are outside what is considered local for tv accounting.  A lot of upstate people who want nothing to do with the NYC metro area and root for Buffalo instead.

Sabres fans are in Canada as well. I remember hearing a certain percentage of STH's and partial plan holders are actually Canadian citizens (it's only like 15 miles)

Edited by '7'

6 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

So, you think they would actually have McDavid and the Oilers play the Rangers in the game? Or is this just a suggestion for an Oilers/Flames game which NBC would not draw on? I think you had Calgary and Winnipeg in an outdoor game this winter. Eichel is not just good. He's been ripping it up. Since the All-Star break, he has 28 points (9-19-28) and is 48 points in 49 games. It just seems there is a lot of bitterness over these games which are overrated to begin with. I don't care one iota about it.

4 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

The NHL's bread and butter is local ratings.  The Sabres do HUGE ratings in their local market. Off the top of my head, they are 2nd only to Pittsburgh.  Remember, ratings are based on a percentage of households in the market.  So, Buffalo getting 300K viewers is a lot better for business than the Blackhawks getting 300K viewers in the Chicago Metropolitan Area.   Couple that with the big market rangers and that is all NBC cares about.  Nobody in the league does a good rating nationally or in neutral cities.  I'm sure the NHL expects the Sabres fans to travel for this one, but even if they do not the Rangers fans can easily fill up Citi.

Supposedly, the NHL had pushed for Rangers Isles in NY and Rangers Devils at the Meadowlands and NBC wasn't having it.  Wanted 2 distinct tv markets.  Hence, why they created the Stadium Series.

Exactly the point I was going to make. Buffalo is a huge ratings market for hockey. They always tune in. And they have passionate fans who will make the trip next year. I wish more people paid attention to that fact. It doesn't always have to be local. The Stadium Series has been pretty successful at giving other markets chances at the outdoor game.

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Why does everyone get upset when moves regarding the WC are made based on ratings? That's the whole fvcking purpose of the entire event!!!

I think it's because Bettman once said that every team in the league will have a chance to play in the Winter Classic against the Penguins but the Penguins aren't in this one. I don't know what's going on anymore...

Last night Crosby spears O'Reilly in the junk, tonight he slashes the tip off of Mark Methot's pinky finger. Neither play were called penalties.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DocInRealLife/status/845071442341441538?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2201755%26page%3D11