Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

There's god damn video evidence of Crosby cutting this guy's finger in half, and they're not even going to give him a call/schedule a hearing?
Lol this league, honestly feels 2nd rate sometimes.

If pretty much ANYONE other than Crosby does that, it's AT LEAST two games. Crosby could take his skate off and stab someone with it and nothing would happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

If pretty much ANYONE other than Crosby does that, it's AT LEAST two games. Crosby could take his skate off and stab someone with it and nothing would happen.

The other guy would get a delay of game minor as medical personnel attended to him.

• Like 2

Does anyone really expect the league to do anything about Crosby? He's the princess and best player. He has always pulled this stuff and always will. Especially with the stick to the groin and the hacks and whacks. He's a great player. But when he does that stuff and they don't fine or suspend him, it just makes him more universally loathed. I watched a HNIC 2nd intermission segment and that idiot Friedman tried to say the NHL doesn't protect its stars. Sure. Pathetic what lengths the Canadian broadcast will go to defend him. F Canada. They hate us anyway,

14 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Saw Parise took a stick to the face and it didn't look good. Hope he is okay and kept his teeth despite the history. 

Didn't he lose a bunch of teeth when he took a stick to the mouth here? I seem to recall him popping out the mouthpiece to discover a bunch of teeth came out stuck in it. Gross.

Rangers have to be very worried about Lundqvists play. He has had a terrible year and is 35. I wonder if they go to Raanta right away if Lundqvist has a poor game 1 of the playoffs.

I hope they lose Rantaa to Vegas. I'm tired of them seemingly always having a decent backup behind Lundqvist.

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Two of these guys have Vegas selecting Lovejoy: http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19015985/nhl-vegas-golden-knights-mock-draft-based-players-left-unprotected-their-teams emoji120.pngemoji120.png

What stood out to me is that Burnside thinks the Predators are leaving James Neal exposed.   Even if they go the 4 O and 4 D route, other than Johansen, Forsberg and Arvidson, who would they protect over Neal?   Jarnkrok, Wilson and Craig Smith are all dime a dozen guys that can be replaced.    

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I hope they lose Rantaa to Vegas. I'm tired of them seemingly always having a decent backup behind Lundqvist.

I was certain Talbot would crash down with Edmonton...and that the Rangers propensity for shot blocking (as well as a light workload) was helping him out. But he's played quite well for the Oilers.

Vegas should absolutely pluck Raanta. His sample size is still kind of small, and he himself is only 6'0 which in 2017 is not what you want for a starting goalie. But he looks pretty sound all around.

I was certain Talbot would crash down with Edmonton...and that the Rangers propensity for shot blocking (as well as a light workload) was helping him out. But he's played quite well for the Oilers.

Vegas should absolutely pluck Raanta. His sample size is still kind of small, and he himself is only 6'0 which in 2017 is not what you want for a starting goalie. But he looks pretty sound all around.

Obviously the Rags would almost assuredly protect Lundqvist, but I wonder if they try to pull some sh!t like offering Vegas a pick to not select Rantaa... OR if they decided to leave Lundqvist unprotected with the same arrangement, which obviously would allow them to keep Rantaa. I doubt they leave Lundqvist unprotected under any circumstances because of appearances and possible negative fan reaction, but it's an interesting situation to speculate on.

25 minutes ago, '7' said:

Rangers have to be very worried about Lundqvists play. He has had a terrible year and is 35. I wonder if they go to Raanta right away if Lundqvist has a poor game 1 of the playoffs.

From 1/19 through 3/7 he put up a .930 save% in 19 games...so he had been pretty hot before getting hurt.  But yeah, fair to wonder how quickly he can bounce back from an extended absence. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/rip-detroit-red-wings-playoff-streak-144341913.html

This was a good article.  Made me a little mad at times because I've always considered our success to be right there on par with the Wings (sometimes even better/greater, because after all we swept them in the finals for our first ever Cup win, when they were considered the heavy favorites).  But they, like us, are a pretty class organization, and are pretty much going through now what we have been going through the past 4-5 years.  It'll be interesting to see if how and when they turn it around, and if it takes them longer than it does us.  But it's cool to see that most of their fans, like this writer too, are pretty humble and are least recognizing that it happens to everyone/all teams, and that they could in fact be in for some dark times.  

48 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This isn't a good look.... http://deadsp.in/E4dtEwB

I don't see this as that big of a deal.  So he told people not to talk about something that, generally, has a negative connotation to it?  So what?  It's just Bettman trying to be a cheerleader for the league, which is pretty much his job.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't see this as that big of a deal.  So he told people not to talk about something that, generally, has a negative connotation to it?  So what?  It's just Bettman trying to be a cheerleader for the league, which is pretty much his job.

Legally speaking, it was the right thing to do.  He is giving his GM's advice that any lawyer would give his client under the circumstances.  However, in the court of public opinion, with the spin that the media will put on this story, it is a black eye for the league and the commissioner.  It's click bait fodder and good for headlines, so it likely won't die out quickly or quietly.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Obviously the Rags would almost assuredly protect Lundqvist, but I wonder if they try to pull some sh!t like offering Vegas a pick to not select Rantaa... OR if they decided to leave Lundqvist unprotected with the same arrangement, which obviously would allow them to keep Rantaa. I doubt they leave Lundqvist unprotected under any circumstances because of appearances and possible negative fan reaction, but it's an interesting situation to speculate on.

Lundqvist has a NMC, I could definitely see them trading some picks or prospects to try and hold onto Rantaa.  Guess the league announced today they will publish the list of available players.  One way or the other those lists were bound to become public.

Lundqvist has a NMC, I could definitely see them trading some picks or prospects to try and hold onto Rantaa.  Guess the league announced today they will publish the list of available players.  One way or the other those lists were bound to become public.

Ah forgot about the NMC, obviously he has to be protected then... But I just can't see the Rags just losing Rantaa without trying to finagle an asset back somehow- I'd have to imagine that given his age, he's got a lot of value right now. I'd love for the Rags to just lose him for nothing by not protecting him, but I can't see them surrendering his rights so easily.