Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

Probably posturing/negotiation over getting a new arena, I can't imagine the Flames moving out of Calgary, one of the the biggest Canadian cities and a strong NHL market.

Yeah apparently Katz pulled the same crap and threatened to move the Oilers in order to extract money from the city for a new building- and the city of Edmonton coughed up the money, so you can see why the Flames would say these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Florida is firing Tom Rowe after the season ends: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/panthers-will-reportedly-fire-rowe-who-will-be-next-coach

It's really kind of amazing how inept the new ownership is down there.   The Panthers get a lot of crap about fan support and Miami is a sh!tty sports market but what do they expect when they run a franchise like this.  After years of being terrible they finally had an exciting team last year and they ripped it apart.  I wouldn't support that crap either.  

I just imagine this tool walking up to the podium after winning the draft and saying "ayyy" with his thumbs up in the Fonz voice.   

484996925.jpg

Edit: For clarification, getting rid of Rowe is fine. He's a mess. Getting to this point where it's even necessary is the issue.   

Edited by Lateralous

On 4/3/2017 at 1:17 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Tavares is done for the season, and the ice at Barclays is getting the blame.... I don't see how the Islanders can continue to play there for too much longer. http://www.tsn.ca/clutterbuck-blames-home-ice-for-tavares-injury-1.712840

Well he won't have to worry about that ice much longer.  

... our ice is just fine, though.

• Like 2

So with the playoff matchups starting to take shape, is anyone jumping on board and rooting for a particular team?  I don't really like the Canadiens, don't really hate them either, but I know we'll all be cheering for them in the back of our minds.  I'm probably rooting for Columbus just because I don't want to see Pittsburgh have success again, though I really would like to see Columbus' sh!tty franchise get eliminated early.

As much as I like to see the Cup go to an Eastern Conference team just to have bragging rights that we're better than the West, but because there's so many rivals and teams I dislike in the East simply because we play them often, I tend to root for a Western team that we generally have no hate or malice towards.  I think I may root for the Blues.  They've been close the past few years, and obviously been around a while now and still never won a Cup.  I probably wouldn't mind Washington finally winning one too, just so Ovi gets one.

Yeah I'd be happy for Ovi to finally win the Cup. Hell, even get to one. Don't want to see Pitt repeat and obviously not the Rags. If I had to pick a team I guess I'd go with the Sharks. I was rooting for them last year in the finals. 

In the East the one team I find myself rooting for is Washington, I want Ovechkin to finally get his cup. In the West, I quite like those Nashville and Calgary teams, would like to one of them make a run.

What a dramatic story it would be if we had a Nashville vs Montreal cup final, eh? Subban vs Weber, have at it media.

Edited by CommonDreads

20 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Him signing with us would not only be a game-changer, but a complete franchise-changer.  Up there with Kovy signing with us.

However, I still think we have less than a .1% chance of signing him here.

As I've said before, I don't think it's as crazy as might otherwise be thought.  Breaking it down, it's a very safe bet that he's not going to make it unrestricted free agency.  The Isles will either try to sign him to an extension before the draft.  If that doesn't happen, and especially if the negotiations are testy, the Isles will really have no choice but to trade him.  But of course, any trade comes with an extension worked out ahead of time if the Isles are going to get maximum value, which is what they'll be looking for.  Then it comes down to teams he'd want to sign an extension with and those that have things the Isles would want and could get.  While he'd obviously want to play in Toronto, Toronto's finally good now, so picks from them aren't that valuable and they're not trading Nylander and Marner, which is what the Isles would probably demand.  I haven't thought of all of the other teams that could fit this mold, but the Devils, especially if they end up with picks 1 or 2 this year are a strong contender.  He seems to like the area, the Devils could pay him probably more than any other plausible destination, and he gets to play with Hall.  There's the whole taboo against trading in the division, but you can't limit the number of bidders for someone as important as him, or at least you shouldn't.  The question becomes whether you trade the first rounder and one of McLeod or Zacha, or take a huge gamble and trade both this year's first and next year's first.  Losing out on the top two or three picks next year could prove to be disastrous, so you better be a much improved team.  Of course, the Isles stunk for years with Tavares there, so it's real risk.

As Tri has mentioned earlier, there also seems to be an appreciable risk that Tavares is one of those players who ages really poorly.  You could have a very, very ugly contract for perhaps five years, unless you're counting on a new CBA that gives teams another two get out of jail free cards. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

torts.jpg

That's another reason I don't like the Jackets at the moment.  I sort of like Torts when he was down here in Tampa, but have grown to dislike him quite a bit since.  I guess when a guy is your coach you tend to stick by him no matter what, but when that relationship breaks you see it through unbiased eyes and for what it really is.  He's pretty annoying.  Funny, with his antics and what not, but still pretty annoying and kind of a jackass.

Did anyone have time to catch the wild ending to the Leafs clinching vs the Pens? Pretty amazing stuff. McElhinney forced in. Makes gigantic stop on Crosby. Game tying goal by Kapanen (1st of career), who they got for Kessel, who also scored. Brown's game-winner on a great redirect. Twenty goals for the other rookie. Matthews number 40.

The Islanders would've made it if they hadn't waited so long to bring back Halak. They had no backup and ran Greiss into the ground. He wore out. Halak's last 5 starts: 6 GA on 155 shots. That's heroic. The Isles also won the last four without Tavares. They do have some good young talent. Ho-Sang looks like he'll be good. Beauvillier is a solid overall player. Barzal should arrive this Fall. He's got talent. The Isles goalie situation won't be fixed until Ilya Sorokin comes over from the KHL. Same draft as Igor Shestyerkin in 2014.

If the Isles were managed better, they would've been in the playoffs. But they are mismanaged. They blew it. Not the players fault. But how the organization is run. 

West match-ups are set:

Blackhawks vs Predators

Wild vs Blues 

Ducks vs Flames

Oilers vs Sharks 

Chicago in 6 

Blues in 6 

Ducks in 6 

Oilers in 5

Two East match-ups to be decided today. Washington plays either Boston or Toronto. Ottawa plays one or the other. Here are the set two:

Pens vs Blue Jackets 

Canadiens vs Rangers 

Pittsburgh in 6

Montreal in 5 

8 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Did anyone have time to catch the wild ending to the Leafs clinching vs the Pens? Pretty amazing stuff. McElhinney forced in. Makes gigantic stop on Crosby. Game tying goal by Kapanen (1st of career), who they got for Kessel, who also scored. Brown's game-winner on a great redirect. Twenty goals for the other rookie. Matthews number 40.

The Islanders would've made it if they hadn't waited so long to bring back Halak. They had no backup and ran Greiss into the ground. He wore out. Halak's last 5 starts: 6 GA on 155 shots. That's heroic. The Isles also won the last four without Tavares. They do have some good young talent. Ho-Sang looks like he'll be good. Beauvillier is a solid overall player. Barzal should arrive this Fall. He's got talent. The Isles goalie situation won't be fixed until Ilya Sorokin comes over from the KHL. Same draft as Igor Shestyerkin in 2014.

If the Isles were managed better, they would've been in the playoffs. But they are mismanaged. They blew it. Not the players fault. But how the organization is run. 

West match-ups are set:

Blackhawks vs Predators

Wild vs Blues 

Ducks vs Flames

Oilers vs Sharks 

Chicago in 6 

Blues in 6 

Ducks in 6 

Oilers in 5

Two East match-ups to be decided today. Washington plays either Boston or Toronto. Ottawa plays one or the other. Here are the set two:

Pens vs Blue Jackets 

Canadiens vs Rangers 

Pittsburgh in 6

Montreal in 5 

The Isles savior in goal is more likely coming from Sweden, actually. I was talking to my brother about this recently, but the Islanders may have drafted the next Lundqvist in the form of Linus Söderström. 6'4" goaltender that just broke Henrik's GAA record in the SHL with a ridiculous 1.34 GAA and .943 SV%, which is a follow up to last year where he posted a 1.86 GAA and a .927 SV% in Alsvenskan and a 1.42 GAA and a .947 SV% with Sweden's national team. He's under contract for one more season with HV-71 but this kid looks like the real deal, he might make some noise in the NHL when he decides to come over.