Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Never fails. Ever. And he'll sign there too, not even a question now. He won't win anything, just like every other jerk-off that sells out and goes there, but he'll go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does MadDog remind anyone else of an edgier Joe Beningo? I love that guy 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

LET THE DOMINOS FALL BABY LET'S GO

Interesting trade though.  I thought it'd end up being Galchenyuk for Drouin.

The Lightning need(ed) D.  Coburn and Garrison are both getting up there in age, as is Stralman (though I think he's quite a bit better than the other two)

I think the picks end up making this a pretty fair deal. As a resident of the Tampa surrounding area I know what Drouin is and I'll miss his offense and I think he's going to be great for a long time, but with Sergachev and Hedman on the blue line for years to come they'll have that on lock down.  If they can keep the rest of their forward core together, I think they'll be solid.

Rangers are scheming this somehow. Retiring? To Europe...at 32? No. Once he gets to Europe rags are somehow going to slip him some $ you can guarantee that. This is some sort of plan they've cooked up for Shattenkirk. No way is he just retiring from the NHL and taking such a big paycut to go play in Europe. Rags are lucky...they're not this lucky. Something smells fishy here.

• Like 3

Rangers are scheming this somehow. Retiring? To Europe...at 32? No. Once he gets to Europe rags are somehow going to slip him some $ you can guarantee that. This is some sort of plan they've cooked up for Shattenkirk. No way is he just retiring from the NHL and taking such a big paycut to go play in Europe. Rags are lucky...they're not this lucky. Something smells fishy here.

I want it looked into. If we did something like that, you can bet the league would be looking into it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Am I missing some news here?

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I want it looked into. If we did something like that, you can bet the league would be looking into it.

Unfortunately, even if there is some kind of under the table payment, you'd really need someone in the Ranger organization to be a whistleblower or for Klein or his agent to say something really stupid.  It isn't clear how much cause the league needs to have to force a team to open its books, but I imagine what we know now probably isn't enough -- Canadian player who seemingly has no connection to Europe all the sudden walking away from $2.9 million to play in Europe.  And even if the league did open an investigation, I imagine the Rangers are smart enough to conceal any payments so that the league would never find out.  It took the league something like four years to unravel the Stevens/Blues tampering, and that was something much more straightforward. 

Those a$$holes just always seem to get out of trouble.

Unfortunately, even if there is some kind of under the table payment, you'd really need someone in the Ranger organization to be a whistleblower or for Klein or his agent to say something really stupid.  It isn't clear how much cause the league needs to have to force a team to open its books, but I imagine what we know now probably isn't enough -- Canadian player who seemingly has no connection to Europe all the sudden walking away from $2.9 million to play in Europe.  And even if the league did open an investigation, I imagine the Rangers are smart enough to conceal any payments so that the league would never find out.  It took the league something like four years to unravel the Stevens/Blues tampering, and that was something much more straightforward. 

Those a$$holes just always seem to get out of trouble.

The fact that a Canadian player with no connection to Europe whatsoever who has no reason to do this should be enough to raise eyebrows in the league office. It's shady as fvck, and the league should be keeping it's eyes open with regard to this issue.

If this trade taught us anything, it's that teams who have the extra slot (a la NJ) are in pretty good shape to fleece teams. Now, Sergachev is one of the top D prospects, is cost controlled and could be a very good player, but Drouin is already a 1st liner at 21. 

22 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

If this trade taught us anything, it's that teams who have the extra slot (a la NJ) are in pretty good shape to fleece teams. Now, Sergachev is one of the top D prospects, is cost controlled and could be a very good player, but Drouin is already a 1st liner at 21. 

I had the exact opposite reaction.  This was a very fair deal for both teams, and the Canadians gave up significant value.  It leads me to believe that someone like Dumba or Brodin would cost someone like McLeod or Zacha.  That wouldn't be a fleecing by any stretch. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

The fact that a Canadian player with no connection to Europe whatsoever who has no reason to do this should be enough to raise eyebrows in the league office. It's shady as fvck, and the league should be keeping it's eyes open with regard to this issue.

No collusion. No collusion. You're the collusion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I've never had anything against the Candiens but I'm kind of anxious to see what kind of nonsensical move they end up making this offseason. it certainly feels like they are getting ready to sell low on Galchenyuk.     

I guess I owe them an apology.  Good trade this afternoon.