Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

Doan was committed to that franchise. You have to respect that...though I wonder if he really ever wanted to win that badly. He had opportunities where he could've been traded somewhere to a contender and make a Cup run but he never seemed to care. 21 years in the NHL and only made it out of the first round ONCE.

Now they're jettisoning him, and look at what the franchise is. Hopeless, fanless, barely a blip on the radar and hanging by a string for yet another year. This is what he devoted his career to.

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Doan was committed to that franchise. You have to respect that...though I wonder if he really ever wanted to win that badly. He had opportunities where he could've been traded somewhere to a contender and make a Cup run but he never seemed to care. 21 years in the NHL and only made it out of the first round ONCE.

Now they're jettisoning him, and look at what the franchise is. Hopeless, fanless, barely a blip on the radar and hanging by a string for yet another year. This is what he devoted his career to.

Sounds like when we parted ways with Marty. 

2 hours ago, '7' said:

I think he just really liked Arizona.  Apparently a lot of players, especially with families do.  I don't recall whether he actually invoked his NTC in the past.

As for the team, they're going to be really good pretty soon.  They have a ton of young talent that's all finally playing the NHL, plus one of the best defensemen in the league.  They just need a goalie.  

So in other news, Marian Hossa has an "allergic reaction" to the equipment he's forced to wear and will miss at least the full season, if not retire entirely.

If legit, feel for the guy.  But it also seems like it could be bullsh!t cap circumvention to me.

So in other news, Marian Hossa has an "allergic reaction" to the equipment he's forced to wear and will miss at least the full season, if not retire entirely.

If legit, feel for the guy.  But it also seems like it could be bullsh!t cap circumvention to me.

Definitely sounds shady. If it's legit, obviously hope for the best for Hossa to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My limited understanding is that this disorder will allow the Hawks to stash Hossa on LTIR for the remainder of his contract to avoid any sort of recapture penalties.

If Hossa has been dealing with this for years - why now?  Is it purely coincidental that Hossa would be taking a 75% pay cut starting next year?

IMO, Hossa expressed interest in retiring to Hawks management, and they came up with this scheme that the NHL will not even bother investigating.

48 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It's okay because it's Hawks.

Hossa has always been a standup guy, but the league has to investigate this thoroughly.   Hossa needs to waive all doctor-patient confidentiality.  If there's even the hint of non-cooperation or if it's clear that he's had this condition for a while, Chicago has to penalized with at least losing a first round pick and not being able to avoid the recapture penalty.  All the sudden this "skin condition" becomes unbearable in the first year that his contract drops to almost the league minimum and at a time when the Hawks are in severe cap trouble. 

And if the league does nothing here, the Devils should demand that they get an extra first round pick -- say #15 -- at some point in the near future. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Hossa has always been a standup guy, but the league has to investigate this thoroughly.   Hossa needs to waive all doctor-patient confidentiality.  If there's even the hint of non-cooperation or if it's clear that he's had this condition for a while, Chicago has to penalized with at least losing a first round pick and not being able to avoid the recapture penalty.  All the sudden this "skin condition" becomes unbearable in the first year that his contract drops to almost the league minimum and at a time when the Hawks are in severe cap trouble. 

And if the league does nothing here, the Devils should demand that they get an extra first round pick -- say #15 -- at some point in the near future. 

This is 100% BULLSH!T. But they'll get away with it because Original 6, Chicago, all that political bullsh!t

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That was basically a 3rd going to Vegas for TVR too, it was Pittsburgh's 2nd that Carolina sent them- 62nd overall. It makes the Mueller deal look pretty stupid, honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you can say that TVR doesn't have much upside, which a 21 year old former first rounder might still have.  TVR's a 4th or 5th defenseman, and that's it.

Also you had at least one other team in on Mueller.