Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

On 7/28/2017 at 3:01 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

Congrats to Jay! :cheers:

Tom Gulitti Retweeted

Mark Divver‏ @MarkDivver  

Jay Leach promoted to @AHLBruins head coach. Spencer Carbery (OHL Saginaw) will be new assistant coach, joining holdover Trent Whitfield

Good news for the former Mr. Kathryn Tappen.  Still his biggest accomplishment in life. :)

• Like 1

On 07/22/2017 at 4:44 PM, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

What Shattenkirk did was more the exception than the rule. I think most guys don't decide where to play based on who they cheered for growing up, they decide based on appeal of city, $, term, caliber of team and which roster is the best fit/opportunity. Obviously for a lower level player it is based most on who will offer them a contract. 

Appeal of city, the first thing you mentioned. For most guys, their hometown is going to be as if not more appealing than any amenity a certain city has. It's certainly not so much about the team itself, but your hometown is probably tough to turn down if they're pursuing you. I'm sure that's not true for everyone, I bet plenty of guys feel more attached to the place that drafted them at 17 and that they've lived in for the past however many years. A lot of them left home very young on top of everything else. But a player wanting to play in their hometown certainly isn't an "exception". Look at Parise, Suter, Clarkson, Kovalchuk, Hamonic, just off the top of my head. Stamkos was most definitely a leaf if  he hadn't re-signed in Tampa.

• Like 1

Didn't think this deserved it's own topic but Julie R. has been officially replaced with Amanda Stein (who covered the Devils during the Prospects Camp); she is running the All-Acess Blog, etc.  Her twitter handle is @amandacstein in case anyone wants to give a follow...  I thought she did a really nice job at the Camp & she's got lots of experience (7 years with TSN covering the Habs). 

On 8/4/2017 at 11:13 PM, thecoffeecake said:

Appeal of city, the first thing you mentioned. For most guys, their hometown is going to be as if not more appealing than any amenity a certain city has. It's certainly not so much about the team itself, but your hometown is probably tough to turn down if they're pursuing you. I'm sure that's not true for everyone, I bet plenty of guys feel more attached to the place that drafted them at 17 and that they've lived in for the past however many years. A lot of them left home very young on top of everything else. But a player wanting to play in their hometown certainly isn't an "exception". Look at Parise, Suter, Clarkson, Kovalchuk, Hamonic, just off the top of my head. Stamkos was most definitely a leaf if  he hadn't re-signed in Tampa.

Think it depends on the player and the team.  I have heard that a lot of guys from Ontario have no interest in playing for the Leafs.  I think another part of it is how their lives changed after getting drafted.  If they got drafted at 18, were playing in a city at 20, met their wife in that city, had kids while in that city, their attitude about "home" changes.  If they met their wife while playing Jrs and the wife followed them around from jrs to ahl city to nhl city, I think it is a little different.  Don't underestimate the influence the wife will have on the decision.  Although, the one thing I HATE is when the player will try to use the school system as a reason, ala Mike Hampton.  As if someone signing with the Flyers is going to be sending their kids to the Camden Public Schools.  They are either going to live in one of the wealthier towns in the suburbs, and/or send their kids to private schools.

On 8/4/2017 at 11:13 PM, thecoffeecake said:

Parise and Suter went "home" because "home" offered them the most money by a long shot.  Same with Clarkson.  Kovalchuk is kind of sui generis, but he probably made more money in Russia than he would have in the NHL, after you take taxes and escrow into account. And as you said, Stamkos didn't go back to Toronto, even though he could have waited another week if that's what he really wanted.

For a few guys, maybe it matters enough that they give the home town discount, but it's much rarer than you think.   

As per NHL.com, Eddie Olczyk has been diagnosed with colon cancer.  Don't like the guy as a sportscaster, but I hope to hear him back in the booth very soon. Cancer sucks.  And if any guys here are over 40, regular colon screenings are a MUST.  Its no joke.

Praying for a speedy recovery for Eddie O. https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/medical-update-on-eddie-olczyk/c-290621840

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Daniel said:

Parise and Suter went "home" because "home" offered them the most money by a long shot.  Same with Clarkson.  Kovalchuk is kind of sui generis, but he probably made more money in Russia than he would have in the NHL, after you take taxes and escrow into account. And as you said, Stamkos didn't go back to Toronto, even though he could have waited another week if that's what he really wanted.

For a few guys, maybe it matters enough that they give the home town discount, but it's much rarer than you think.   

I can't hate on Parise for wanting to go to Minnesota to play in front of his father every night.  IMHO, he made the right decision.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Praying for a speedy recovery for Eddie O. https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/medical-update-on-eddie-olczyk/c-290621840

I'm actually really surprised, but glad, that he expects to be back soon and make a quick recovery.  I don't know too much about it, but from what I've heard in the past, I always thought colon cancer was one of the uglier types, and quicker spreading/deteriorating.  Hopefully that not the case.  Eddie isn't my favorite guy, but I wouldn't say I dislike him either.  He's OK to listen to during hockey games, and he's not bad as a horse racing analyst either.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I can't hate on Parise for wanting to go to Minnesota to play in front of his father every night.  IMHO, he made the right decision.

I was always under the impression that NJ was able to offer him comparable salary, but not the same for Sutter, so I was also just as pissed as everyone when he jet. That changed as soon as I found out about JP's declining health because it was probably the main factor in his decision to go to Minnesota-- who could blame him? As much as my heart wished he stayed, neither of them are worth what they make anyway. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I was always under the impression that NJ was able to offer him comparable salary, but not the same for Sutter, so I was also just as pissed as everyone when he jet. That changed as soon as I found out about JP's declining health because it was probably the main factor in his decision to go to Minnesota-- who could blame him? As much as my heart wished he stayed, neither of them are worth what they make anyway. 

Same for just about every UFA.  Off the top of my head, Chara is the only guy I can think of who got big money and was worth it.  The guys who truly are worth that kind of money (Crosby,Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews, Kane, etc.) never hit UFA status because their teams lock them up long-term ahead of time.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Bryan Murray passed away. 74 years old. RIP. emoji26.png

That sucks. Multiple Cup appearances as a GM, and 600+ wins as a HC. Sad that just like Pat Burns he didn't get into the HoF while he was alive. 

• Like 1

Sad to hear.  He/Lou made the trade for Jeff Friesen (forget the other guy) with Sykora & another guy going the other way.

Edited by vadvlfan
adjusted

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Reminds me a little of Wendel Clark, in that Clark looked about 10-15 years older than he was, from the time he was in his mid-20s or so. 

• Like 1

Reminds me a little of Wendel Clark, in that Clark looked about 10-15 years older than he was, from the time he was in his mid-20s or so. 

The best comment on the article: 'How are you not gonna love Phil Kessel? He looks like he won the ‘91 and ‘92 Cups with the Pens and got a courtesy one day visit with it this year.' [emoji23]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The best comment on the article: 'How are you not gonna love Phil Kessel? He looks like he won the ‘91 and ‘92 Cups with the Pens and got a courtesy one day visit with it this year.' emoji23.png

Goddamn so true!