Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Apparently he was talking sh!t to Devils fans in Vegas the in the 2016 off-season (the first one after he was shipped to Colorado).  He told them he hates the Devils and stuff like that.

He should, we all hated him. 

For me, it was just his lack of defense, his stupid haircut and his face. And his last name. Snail eater. 

On 9/18/2017 at 3:29 PM, DevsMan84 said:

Apparently he was talking sh!t to Devils fans in Vegas the in the 2016 off-season (the first one after he was shipped to Colorado).  He told them he hates the Devils and stuff like that.

Well I get his gripe. They drafted him and invested tons of time and money in him and he was nothing but an inaccurate slapshot. He has every reason in the world to blame the devils and not himself :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:04 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

Well I get his gripe. They drafted him and invested tons of time and money in him and he was nothing but an inaccurate slapshot. He has every reason in the world to blame the devils and not himself :rolleyes:

Haha, what a d*ck...even COLORADO thought you weren't worth bothering with.  Loser.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Sigh.  Big Bird is with St. Louis now, as Senior Consultant to Hockey Operations:  

https://sports.yahoo.com/larry-robinson-magic-now-sprinkled-st-louis-blues-170454103.html

They're putting together a hell of a FO. Maybe they'll actually get over the hump and make a run at some point. 

Speaking of Duchene, one of the Colorado writers mentioned that the Devils were one of several teams who had a scout at the game last night. We are clearly hurting at center but you'd have to imagine that the deal would include Severson (who is now on a friendly long-term deal) or a first rounder next year (which has the potential to be a lottery pick). Doesn't seem likely in either regard, but I'd be interested to see what Shero could do considering TZ's extended absence. 

Sorry if this has been brought up ad nauseam elsewhere, but I thought it was interesting that a NJ scout was at the game.

Speaking of Duchene, one of the Colorado writers mentioned that the Devils were one of several teams who had a scout at the game last night. We are clearly hurting at center but you'd have to imagine that the deal would include Severson (who is now on a friendly long-term deal) or a first rounder next year (which has the potential to be a lottery pick). Doesn't seem likely in either regard, but I'd be interested to see what Shero could do considering TZ's extended absence. 
Sorry if this has been brought up ad nauseam elsewhere, but I thought it was interesting that a NJ scout was at the game.

I don't know if I'm really interested in Duchene especially if it means Severson is part of the deal. I think it would be an extra trade too far. With Zajac, Henrique (who we know can be moved to wing), Hischier, McCleod, and Boyle to name as natural centers, I don't see where Duchene fits not only on the roster, but under the salary cap if you see Hischier or McCleod as long-term solutions.

Now if Henrique is going the other way, COL might have my attention.

Henrique, a dman not named Severson and a first round maybe.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I don't know if I'm really interested in Duchene especially if it means Severson is part of the deal. I think it would be an extra trade too far. With Zajac, Henrique (who we know can be moved to wing), Hischier, McCleod, and Boyle to name as natural centers, I don't see where Duchene fits not only on the roster, but under the salary cap if you see Hischier or McCleod as long-term solutions.

Right, and I'm not necessarily advocating for a deal, but it's not because of our depth at center; it's due to the cost.

Zajac is hurt, we don't know what's going to happen with Boyle (although we all wish him the best) and McLoed has been outperformed in the preseason by other youngsters. I think there is more than enough room for a top 2 center on this team right now. I agree though, losing Severson doesn't seem to make sense.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NLinfante said:

Right, and I'm not necessarily advocating for a deal, but it's not because of our depth at center; it's due to the cost.

Zajac is hurt, we don't know what's going to happen with Boyle (although we all wish him the best) and McLoed has been outperformed in the preseason by other youngsters. I think there is more than enough room for a top 2 center on this team right now. I agree though, losing Severson doesn't seem to make sense.

Agree totally with all of these points. 

Yeah not a chance I'm trading our 2018 1st for anything, let alone Matt Duchene. This is another great draft, and that's very likely a high lottery pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Dallas is retiring Jere Lehtinen's number, seems weird to do it after all these years now. I know he was a big player on their 99 cup team but other than that he really didn't do much. Only had  2 seasons of 30+ goals and only 2 seasons of 50+ points. Doesn't seem worthy to me. 

$

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Article in today’s Post about how Kevin Hayes and others are upset because the league is requiring them to wear visors that actually go over their eyes, as if they thought clear plastic visors were intended for forehead protection. 

NYR players need their visors tilted up more to protect their eyes from the Broadway Bright Lights brah

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Dallas is retiring Jere Lehtinen's number, seems weird to do it after all these years now. I know he was a big player on their 99 cup team but other than that he really didn't do much. Only had  2 seasons of 30+ goals and only 2 seasons of 50+ points. Doesn't seem worthy to me. 

You can't go strictly by quick-glance offensive glamour numbers for these things.

He did play his entire career there (14 seasons, 875 regular season games and 108 playoff games) and was a career +176 in the regular season (he was even or better in all but his last season).  He won three Selke trophies (was in the Top 3 in three other seasons) and was tied for second in playoff goals (10) as his team won the 1999 Stanley Cup.  Seems like he was a very good two-way player for a long time. 

I'll give you that, for the most part, if a franchise feels like a player is worthy of getting his number retired, that taking over seven years to get to that point is a little odd...especially if the player calls it quits and doesn't continue his career for a while elsewhere (as was the case with Niedermayer).  To me I think you know fairly quickly whether or not you think a particular player deserves such a high honor...but it's not like we haven't seen "delayed" jersey retirement ceremonies before. 

I think the people who are the true authority on jersey retirements are the fans themselves...the ones who watched the majority of Lehtinen's career...do THEY think that Lehtinen is worthy?  Do THEY feel like this was somewhat overdue?  I feel like every Devil who's gotten his number retired 100% deserved it, no debate...Niedermayer's was a little bit weird because his #27 was still issued after he left (off the top of my head Barry Tallackson and Mike Mottau wore it after Nieds left), but that really wasn't a big deal, nor did it detract from Scott's night in the slightest.  Do Dallas fans feel as strongly about Lehtinen?  Only they can answer that.  As complete outsiders, it's just too hard for us to make a definitive case either way.   

• Like 1