Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Around the League: 2016-17 edition

This is a weird, and obviously unfortunate, ending for Elias, if it really is over and we've seen his last game.  I'd be curious to know how he's spending his days.  Is he working out, i.e. in the gym?  Is he skating and practicing with the team?  Is he attending team meetings and functions?  If he's doing any of that, even if just one of them, it probably points to his desire to return to the team, and if that's true then I'd really be curious to see how much time he might have before he's fully healed and/or capable of actually fully practicing or even playing.  

EDIT: I just looked at team's official website and he's not listed as being on the roster, yet a guy like Marc Savard is.  That can't be good.  Does anyone know what his official status is?  Because it doesn't look like he's on IR.  Is he a UFA and therefore not on any team at the moment?

Edited by NJDfan1711

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I think for RFA's you have until the New Year to sign, or else you can't be under contract until the summer, for UFA's I think you have until the Trade Deadline to sign a contract.

I think the rule for UFA's is you need to be signed before the trade deadline to be eligible for the playoffs. I think Ottawa signed Gomez after the deadline but he wasn't eligible to be placed on the playoff roster. 

8 hours ago, dmann422 said:

My assumption at this point is Patty is done. He said he'd only play for us and we now have enough depth on the wing that we let a young player go on waivers. Unless there is an extraordinary injury situation I don't see him dressing for us again.

Maybe the last home game against the Isles, if we're in a situation with nothing to play for or lose, we sign him for a day and give him a send off game. But even that is probably highly unlikely.

This is my take as well. It's bittersweet. On one hand it's a good thing he can't crack the lineup. Otoh it's the end of an era as Elias is obviously the last player left from the cup teams. He's also probably always going to be my favorite F. Hall or any future offensive star will have big shoes to fill to overtake him in my book.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

EDIT: I just looked at team's official website and he's not listed as being on the roster, yet a guy like Marc Savard is.  That can't be good.  Does anyone know what his official status is?  Because it doesn't look like he's on IR.  Is he a UFA and therefore not on any team at the moment?

Elias is a UFA. Savard is on the roster because he is technically signed to a contract with the Devils even though it's just a cap move. 

14 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I think for RFA's you have until the New Year to sign, or else you can't be under contract until the summer, for UFA's I think you have until the Trade Deadline to sign a contract.

December 1st.

You can sign a UFA whenever but it has to do with playoff eligiblity. 

Edited by Marshall

Just don't see a spot for Elias anymore, though I'd love to see him dress somehow one more time so we can all give him a proper sendoff.

He wouldn't be effective in a 4th line role, and even a 3rd line role is pushing it IMO.  But there's absolutely no space for him in the top-6, unless Cammy goes down or something.

If he wasn't considered when Hall, Cammy, and Palmieri were out for a little while then I think it might never happen.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Just don't see a spot for Elias anymore, though I'd love to see him dress somehow one more time so we can all give him a proper sendoff.

He wouldn't be effective in a 4th line role, and even a 3rd line role is pushing it IMO.  But there's absolutely no space for him in the top-6, unless Cammy goes down or something.

If he wasn't considered when Hall, Cammy, and Palmieri were out for a little while then I think it might never happen.

Not only that, but there's also the possibility that his knee just isn't going to get where he needs it to be. 

The death knell for the possibility of an Elias return, in my opinion, has been the viability of Miles Wood in the bottom-6, and how he's only getting better. He's making waves in his limited minutes, and when he wasn't there, Kalinin was doing okay as well. If neither of them showed up to play this season, there's a spot for Elias on the 3rd and 4th lines, but that hasn't been the case at all fortunately/unfortunately.

Edited by DJ Eco

So am I assuming that Viola has to give up/sell his stake or ownership (not sure how much of the Panthers he owns) now that he has a government position?

So am I assuming that Viola has to give up/sell his stake or ownership (not sure how much of the Panthers he owns) now that he has a government position?

It's being put in a trust and his family will continue to own the majority stake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First the flyers, now the jackets... Metro division has had some insane winning streaks this year.

32 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

First the flyers, now the jackets... Metro division has had some insane winning streaks this year.

Tortorella being so successful with the Jackets is making me sick. I have no idea how he's doing it with that lineup. 

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Tortorella being so successful with the Jackets is making me sick. I have no idea how he's doing it with that lineup. 

Their roster isn't bad - last year they got crushed by injuries and they added Werenski who has been real good, Wennberg has taken a step and so on. Their PDO is high and they're not the best team in the league or anything, but they're good (not great).

On the other hand, the long term outlook with some of those deals, is kinda bleak.

Edited by Marshall

I actually like their roster a lot, have good goaltending, a good defense with Jones, Savard, Johnson, and Werenski, and a forward group that has a good blend of skill and grit with Saad, Jenner, Wennberg, Foligno, Dubinsky, and Atkinson. I kinda thought they would be this team last year, but wrote em off this year when I saw them struggle under Tortorella, who has probably been the biggest surprise out of the success that Columbus is having. After his World Cup debacle everyone wanted to see Tortorella fail and all he's done is get the very most out of that Columbus team every night.

Congrats to Jagr for getting 1888 points breaking the tie and claiming 2nd place. I don't  see him getting  to first  place but quite an accomplishment for  a 44 year old hockey player . 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BostonNala370 said:

Congrats to Jagr for getting 1888 points breaking the tie and claiming 2nd place. I don't  see him getting  to first  place but quite an accomplishment for  a 44 year old hockey player . 

Agree no change catching Gretz, but if he plays a couple of more years he could get 2,000 points which would be incredible!

1 hour ago, BostonNala370 said:

Imagine if he didnt go to Russia for a bit and didn't miss a bunch of games cause of all the lockouts? Crazy 

Wouldnt mind having JVR here, I still remember him playing hockey in HS, near by. Would be great to have another Jersey native back, and good player to boot.

19 hours ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Wouldnt mind having JVR here, I still remember him playing hockey in HS, near by. Would be great to have another Jersey native back, and good player to boot.

Agreed but I just shudder at what it would take to pry him from the stubborn old prick who already set us back almost a decade.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jagknife said:

Agreed but I just shudder at what it would take to pry him from the stubborn old prick who already set us back almost a decade.

Lou's secretly still our agent - maybe he'll take Camm off our hands for him..

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Lou's secretly still our agent - maybe he'll take Camm off our hands for him..

What time is Christmas dinner at your house that you invited me too.? Good luck with Lou as our secret agent