Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

57 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

That would be terrible.  I personally HATE when teams add an unnecessary adjective to a name.  I know their was an issue with "Knights" and I know the NHL told them no gambling references.  Just go with something else.  "Dessert Knights" sounds like minor league baseball.  But, I guess it is not as bad as "Rumble Ponies".

I can't even believe that's a thing. 

They are trying to re-name our local minor league affiliate, the Staten Island Yankees. You would think that was a good enough name. Apparently not. 

The finalists are:

Bridge Trolls (we're an island, we have bridges. We have some trolls too.)

Heroes (Because 9/11, obviously that's a legit way to exploit a tragedy.)

Killer Bees (Wu Tang reference, probably my favorite.)

Pizza Rats (literally named after a viral video of a rat in the subway system carrying a slice of pizza.)

Rock Pigeons ("Rock" because we are an island, Pigeons because they poop on our Rock?)

The winner in the local paper's poll, with 44.7% of the vote, was "None of the above".  Pizza Rats (21.74%) beat out Heroes (21.73%) by one vote, and nobody else was close. 

Unfortunately, Basey McBallsface didn't make the cut. 

Edited by mfitz804

If they are going with a 2-word name, Silver Knights should be it.

1 hour ago, Matteau#32 said:

That would be terrible.  I personally HATE when teams add an unnecessary adjective to a name.  I know their was an issue with "Knights" and I know the NHL told them no gambling references.  Just go with something else.  "Dessert Knights" sounds like minor league baseball.  But, I guess it is not as bad as "Rumble Ponies".

You hate the Red Wings name?

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

If they are going with a 2-word name, Silver Knights should be it.

You hate the Red Wings name?

It is not so much 2 word names.  Just unnecessary adjectives.  I know it isn't the reason for the name, but there is a bird called a redwing.  So it is an actual thing.  Same with Maple Leafs.  Things like, "Screaming Eagles", "Flying Dutchmen" etc.  

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Or the Red Sox and White Sox (would be very confusing, you'd never know which sox belonged together). 

Different time.  They got the name for what they wore.  Same with Cornell and Dartmouth being the "Big Red" and "Big Green".  A reporter referred to Cornell's football team as "That Big Red Team on the hill" and it stuck.  

3 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

It is not so much 2 word names.  Just unnecessary adjectives.  I know it isn't the reason for the name, but there is a bird called a redwing.  So it is an actual thing.  Same with Maple Leafs.  Things like, "Screaming Eagles", "Flying Dutchmen" etc.  

I always hated my high school's team name. We petitioned to have it changed and it was torn up in front of us by the principal.

On 11/11/2016 at 5:22 PM, jagknife said:

I always hated my high school's team name. We petitioned to have it changed and it was torn up in front of us by the principal.

The good old days, when a Principal or teacher could just give it to you straight.  If a principal did that now, there would be parents calling for his/her removal and at the very least they would be told to take sensitivity classes.

• Like 1

Thought this was a decent read, on Schlemko - snippet: 

“I fully expected to be going back to Jersey,” Schlemko says. “They gave me a great opportunity, thought I was a good fit there, but contract negotiations went really slow, not really exactly what I was looking for.”

Conversations with Wilson and Sharks coach Pete DeBoer about his projected role beside Dillon, however, pointed Schlemko toward [San Jose]. “Of course my wife wanted to live in California,” he says. “We were still taking to Jersey until the 11th hour, but it was decided this would be the best spot.”

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/11/15/david-schlemko-san-jose-sharks

They cant sustain this high a shooting percentage. Right? Can they? Someone please tell me it has to end soon.... :blink:Half their team is shooting over 20% it feels like.... including Dan fvcking Girardi. Vesey is near 25%. Hayes 30%. Grabner is over 30%. 

It CANT be sustainable, but I am starting to get worried lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

They cant sustain this high a shooting percentage. Right? Can they? Someone please tell me it has to end soon.... :blink:Half their team is shooting over 20% it feels like.... including Dan fvcking Girardi. Vesey is near 25%. Hayes 30%. Grabner is over 30%. 

It CANT be sustainable, but I am starting to get worried lol.

No, but they're likely quite good.

4 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

The bubble has to burst soon, lately they've been getting routinely outplayed but are somehow shooting as a team at 14.5%. They allowed 38 shots last night to the Vancouver fvcking Canucks and somehow won by 5, Im not really worried about them, but in the meantime it's just annoying.

Anytime the Rangers have success, its annoying. And so are their fans. When they suck, you don't hear from them at all. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Anytime the Rangers have success, its annoying. And so are their fans. When they suck, you don't hear from them at all. 

The Rangers are annoying when they spend a decade passed out in a gutter covered in their own piss, too, but at least it's enjoyable. The good news is that they've just told the bartender to leave the bottle, so anytime now.

• Like 1