Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Good for him. Stay in the game as long as you can, however you can. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ah forgot about the NMC, obviously he has to be protected then... But I just can't see the Rags just losing Rantaa without trying to finagle an asset back somehow- I'd have to imagine that given his age, he's got a lot of value right now. I'd love for the Rags to just lose him for nothing by not protecting him, but I can't see them surrendering his rights so easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They'll trade him probably to another team. The best target is Dallas. They have the worst goalie duo in the league. They should be pretty desperate. And Raanta definitely deserves the same opportunity as Talbot to be a number 1. Hell. They rushed Lundqvist back from injury and he's allowed 10 goals in 2 games. If he struggles, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Prince Raanta versus Montreal. Not kidding. They play better in front of Raanta. I know it won't happen. AV has no balls. But if they fell behind 2-0 and Hank was bad, I would make the move. I don't want to see Raanta go. But if they can recoup draft picks, he deserves it. 

They'll trade him probably to another team. The best target is Dallas. They have the worst goalie duo in the league. They should be pretty desperate. And Raanta definitely deserves the same opportunity as Talbot to be a number 1. Hell. They rushed Lundqvist back from injury and he's allowed 10 goals in 2 games. If he struggles, I wouldn't hesitate to go to Prince Raanta versus Montreal. Not kidding. They play better in front of Raanta. I know it won't happen. AV has no balls. But if they fell behind 2-0 and Hank was bad, I would make the move. I don't want to see Raanta go. But if they can recoup draft picks, he deserves it. 

Yeah Rantaa is a starter on a bunch of teams no doubt. I think you're right that they'll trade him- he's too good to just give away for nothing, and I'm sure a team like Dallas would be willing to pony up something pretty decent in return.

Have to wonder if the Rangers keep trading away good young backup goalies that it might come up snake eyes when Lundquist is done and they really need a starter for themselves.  

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie

5 hours ago, Derek21 said:

That made me cringe sooooo bad. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Derek, I'm sorry... "Prince Raanta"? Is there a joke somewhere here or are you guys just hella non-creative?

It's called sarcasm. I wouldn't expect you to understand. 

21 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Have to wonder if the Rangers keep trading away good young backup goalies that it might come up snake eyes when Lundquist is done and they really need a starter for themselves.  

They have plenty of goalies in the system. One of the best European prospects who they stole a couple of years ago. Igor Shestyerkin. He's dominated the KHL this year and has been a starter last 2 years. One more year. Then I think they sign him. He's the heir apparent to Lundqvist. Tyler Wall had a great freshman year too at UMass-Lowell. He was a mid-round pick last year. And they also have another guy they took from Finland. So, there's no shortage of goalies in the system. 

14 hours ago, Derek21 said:

They have plenty of goalies in the system. One of the best European prospects who they stole a couple of years ago. Igor Shestyerkin. He's dominated the KHL this year and has been a starter last 2 years. One more year. Then I think they sign him. He's the heir apparent to Lundqvist. Tyler Wall had a great freshman year too at UMass-Lowell. He was a mid-round pick last year. And they also have another guy they took from Finland. So, there's no shortage of goalies in the system. 

I have been following Shestyerkin.... he does look quite good. My hope at this point is his stats are misleading due to the team he plays on being such a power house. Don't think I can stand another Lundqvist level goalie on the rangers for the foreseeable future.... :blink:

5 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

No idea why you were so snarky about that, but lol.

You've always been tough on me. I don't know why the Prince Raanta thing is a big deal. It's just a joke on Twitter. Some of us refer to him as that. Personally, I am a pretty big fan of him. The way he handles himself. The way he plays. He has 2 more shutouts than the Queen. Yes. Ranger fans can have a sense of humor. My Dad calls him the Queen. So do I. He's treated like one by the fans and press. I loved following Lundqvist's career overseas. I never imagined he'd be so good. He does'n't need a Cup. He's proved enough to me taking the team from a laughingstock to a Cup contender. It's almost over for him. He's breaking down.

I also refer to Crosby as The Princess. Well, because he is. They will never fine or suspend him. :P

50 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

"Prince Raanta"

"He's the heir apparent to Lundqvist"

Whats with Rangers fans and royalty references towards their goaltenders? :blink:

It's common knowledge that Shestyerkin is a pretty good goalie prospect. The Islanders have another Russian goalie in the KHL too who will be making headlines. Ilya Sorokin. Both were in the same draft. 2014. Sorokin 3rd round 78 overall. Shestyerkin 4th round 118 overall. They were two of the best goalies in the 'K.' One (Shestyerkin) helped his team SKA to the Gagarin Cup Final. 

Switch of topic. Who should win Hart?

McDavid (91 points) or Crosby (42-40-82 in 70 GP). 

I would go with Connor. Marchand is the third candidate. Then Kucherov. I would even put Bobrovsky in there for his year. He should be a lock for Vezina.

Vezina: Bobrovsky. Talbot. Holtby.

Norris: Karlsson (due to defense actually) Burns. Hedman.

Calder: Matthews (due to Leafs getting in). Laine. Werenski. 

Marner/Nylander. Murray (Pens goalie). Tkachuk. Skjei. Great rookie class. 

I take Bobrovsky for Vezina over Talbot only because they each have 7 shutouts but Bob has a slight advantage in SV% and GAA

Edit : now that I look, Holtby lead in shutouts with 8 and is posting a better GAA than either. Gonna be a tough ballot this year

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

McDavid should win the Hart, but he won't get it because he needs to pay his 'dues' (dues being losing these early tie-goes-to-the-runner type decisions to more established stars in races like this year's Hart Trophy). Crosby will win it going away I think. No big for McDavid though, because that kid is going to own the Hart for the next 15 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I don't like Rangers fans, I don't understand rangers fans posting on a Devils forum, and I'm not a big fan of shameless self-promotion, but I feel like I've usually directed my ire at Matteau#32 and specifically not you. 

I was picking fun at Prince Raanta, like the 6 other people in this thread were. Sorry that upset ya.

0C1BF72C-8080-4AF6-9C07-5596A26DEDA3_zps

• Like 1

I'd love to see McDavid win the Hart. The sooner we can stop referring to Cindy Crosby as the best player in the world the better. 

Bobrovsky should win the Vezina. I still think the Jackets have massively over achieved this year. And he's the main reason why. 

• Like 1