Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

Gotta feel for Lindy, he's taking the fall for the failures of Jim Nill this season. It's on Nill for dooming Ruff from the start by not retaining the key components of their defense and not improving that horrid goalie tandem. Nill put it on Ruff's shoulders to try to win the 5-4, 6-5 game every night, not a fair expectation.

Get him, Shero.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Kings fired Lombardi and Sutter. Rob Blake is their new GM.

Seems kind of unfair given the success they both had.  Still I guess it's getting out front of what might be an ugly decline which is smart.   Maybe they saw what happened with Lou in his last few years here and decided to nip that in the bud.

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's insane lmfao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a what have you done for me lately move. Blake seems to have a good reputation but I am always wary of giving GM jobs to former star players, frankly that I think that is one of the few landmines we avoided the last few years.  

• Like 1

Definitely a what have you done for me lately move. Blake seems to have a good reputation but I am always wary of giving GM jobs to former star players, frankly that I think that is one of the few landmines we avoided the last few years.  

It rarely works out well- just ask Colorado.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Francis is doing a pretty good job in Carolina.  Hextall has been pretty good in Philly.

I think there are two keys to doing it right. First the guy has to have experience and a clear vision.  Second he can't be a legend with the organization, no matter how good you think he might be as. GM.  Very hard to fire people like that.  That's why the Devils should never hire Marty for a front office positon, and why I wish the Rangers would hire Messier to be GM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Francis is doing a pretty good job in Carolina.  Hextall has been pretty good in Philly.

I think there are two keys to doing it right. First the guy has to have experience and a clear vision.  Second he can't be a legend with the organization, no matter how good you think he might be as. GM.  Very hard to fire people like that.  That's why the Devils should never hire Marty for a front office positon, and why I wish the Rangers would hire Messier to be GM.

Messier as GM would be the biggest sh!tstorm to ever hit the NHL and I pray to the almighty hockey gods that it someday happens.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Dunno, that Yzerman guy is pretty good at it...

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

According to Friedman on NHL Network a few minutes ago, looks like Hitchcock will be heading back to Dallas.

That's a pretty smart move I think.  I've always liked Hitch, and I think Dallas needs a guy they're familiar with and can trust right now.

18 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Wow, Sutter I could see.  But Lombardi too?

I honestly think trading for Bishop could've been the final nail in the coffin for him.  Giving up a 2nd rounder AND Budaj for a guy that will be a free agent at the end of the year, AND missing the playoffs and not even being able to use the guy you traded for, definitely didn't help.  I also think the ordeal with Martin Jones and having him come back to beat them in the first round left a stench that was hard to get rid of. 

That's a pretty smart move I think.  I've always liked Hitch, and I think Dallas needs a guy they're familiar with and can trust right now.

Yeah... For Tampa, not Detroit. I was talking about star players becoming GM's of organizations they are legends with as players. That usually never ends well, because GM's and coaches are hired to be fired.

Hitch back to coach Dallas? This sure isn't the defensive version of the Stars from the late 90s. Will be interesting to see how that goes: will he teach them to play defense or will the personnel be a bad fit for his coaching style and suck. Goaltending is another question. If you can't reliably get saves then pretty much whoever they put in there to coach is in tough. If they don't change some personnel I don't think it is going to go well.

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah... For Tampa, not Detroit. I was talking about star players becoming GM's of organizations they are legends with as players. That usually never ends well, because GM's and coaches are hired to be fired.

Oh, gotcha.  Yeah, I didn't get that lol.  

• Like 1