Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

Per Puckdaddy, Darling has been signed by Carolina (they gave up a 3rd to talk with him early & it seemed to work): 

" The Carolina Hurricanes didn’t waste any time in locking up goalie Scott Darling.

After acquiring him from the Chicago Blackhawks on April 29, the Hurricanes signed Darling to a four-year deal on Friday. It’s a $16.6 million contract, with an average cap hit of $4.15 million. "

Edited by LittleBallofHate

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎02 at 11:00 AM, MadDog2020 said:

I don't watch the Leafs a lot and when I do I never notice him, really in a good or bad way. I guess they are sold on him.

48 minutes ago, sokar said:

Wonder what Dallas does with the other goalies they have

Bishop's Cap hit is almost $6 million. The Stars already have a cap hit of $10.5 million between Lenthonen and Neimi.

Jim Nill has to unload those 2 has-beens if they want to sign anyone else. I don't see any team wanting those 2 goalies. Maybe more dealings in the near future?

Dallas has until July 1 to reach an agreement with Bishop, before he’ll be able to negotiate with all 30 other teams as a free agent.

Suck for the Devs, would of loved a package deal of Cory and Greene and picking up the Stars goaltender problems for that 3rd OA pick... bummer.

Edited by HOLLYWOOD

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Wow Rangers and Sabres .... What a classic matchup

They've combined for 1 Stanley cup since 1940. Two absolute legendary teams with incredible legacies. Can't wait to realize "oh ya the winter classic was on" while getting wasted on New Years for the 5th year in a row. 

• Like 4

On 05/09/2017 at 9:27 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Wow Rangers and Sabres .... What a classic matchup

Yea this could be the worst one yet, I bet it'll be not very close to capacity. Between the Devils Isles and Rags, they couldn't fill Yankee Stadium. They should've had it in Buffalo where people would've shown up, and they could've planned it around the World Junior Championship game between the US and Canada that they're playing outside, and I would imagine like on most years will be on New Years Eve. Maybe they didn't want to detract from either event, but if that was the case, they wouldn't have scheduled Buffalo at all.

The more I think about it, the more furious I am that they did schedule Buffalo. They're gonna pull tons of fans away from that event who would mostly be supporting Team USA. The NHL couldn't let USA Hockey showcase the sport in this country on a global stage without trying to fvck it up.

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea this could be the worst one yet, I bet it'll be not very close to capacity. Between the Devils Isles and Rags, they couldn't fill Yankee Stadium. They should've had it in Buffalo where people would've shown up, and they could've planned it around the World Junior Championship game between the US and Canada that they're playing outside, and I would imagine like on most years will be on New Years Eve. Maybe they didn't want to detract from either event, but if that was the case, they wouldn't have scheduled Buffalo at all.

The more I think about it, the more furious I am that they did schedule Buffalo. They're gonna pull tons of fans away from that event who would mostly be supporting Team USA. The NHL couldn't let USA Hockey showcase the sport in this country on a global stage without trying to fvck it up.

The epitome of Gary Bettman's tenure as commissioner. yet they keep fvcking electing him for longer terms.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

The epitome of Gary Bettman's tenure as commissioner. yet they keep fvcking electing him for longer terms.

Because, like Goodell, he makes the owners a lot of money.   He's also pretty much the reason that salaries are controlled, such that the best player in the sport today has a lower average annual value than Bobby Holik's contract 15 years ago.

Fiddler did everything asked of him by the Devils, have nothing but the best wishes for him.  Hope he manages to pull off something special with Nashville.

Also, I think it was kinda cool of Shero to get Fiddler's blessing on the trade to Nashville before pulling the trigger.  IIRC he didn't have a NTC or NMC.

Regarding next year's Winter Classic: this is the league thinking they are creative but actually being the complete opposite.  I know they threw in Buffalo for the 10-year anniversary thing, but to put them in just for that reason alone is lame.  Then to pair them up with a team that has played in 3 outdoor games so far adds to the lameness.  I would actually respect the league more if they did Islanders versus Rangers again at Citifield as even though they have played an outdoor game against each other, they genuinely hate each other. 

• Like 1

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Regarding next year's Winter Classic: this is the league thinking they are creative but actually being the complete opposite.  I know they threw in Buffalo for the 10-year anniversary thing, but to put them in just for that reason alone is lame.  Then to pair them up with a team that has played in 3 outdoor games so far adds to the lameness.  I would actually respect the league more if they did Islanders versus Rangers again at Citifield as even though they have played an outdoor game against each other, they genuinely hate each other. 

The NHL is also looking for a bit broader appeal. Now granted Sabres are not super high profile but they are on the rise and always do great ratings (and also bring in some ratings from Canada as they have fans there)

But overall yea...this doesn't have much juice to it. The match-up to do here would've been Blackhawks-Rangers if they really desperately needed to include the Rags.

Just now, '7' said:

The NHL is also looking for a bit broader appeal. Now granted Sabres are not super high profile but they are on the rise and always do great ratings (and also bring in some ratings from Canada as they have fans there)

But overall yea...this doesn't have much juice to it. The match-up to do here would've been Blackhawks-Rangers if they really desperately needed to include the Rags.

I can understand the TV point of view and I believe that NBC does have the final say over which teams are in it.

I would absolutely hate if the Blackhawks were in another outdoor game.  Completely sick of them being in one every year.

7 hours ago, jagknife said:

Caps and Leafs will play each other at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium March 3rd of next year.

There's talk of Michie Stadium and Air Force also hosting games in the future.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-caps-to-host-leafs-in-outdoor-game-at-navy-1.763378

This is one outdoor game I actually will watch, just because of it being at Navy.

Now this is MUCH cooler than the Winter Classic generic bull crap. 

• Like 1