Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

17 hours ago, Triumph said:

Cammalleri would find this out anyway.  There's no way they could hold an expansion draft where every non-NMC-having player has no clue whether or not he would be picked.  His agent would be told so he could possibly prepare.

The league came to their senses on this when they realized that the agents would leak certain names publicly, GMs would leak others, and it would be a big sh!tshow.

Yeah I guess it makes sense, just feel its a bit like publicly announcing which of your children is your favorite, but i guess it a business and players know that,

Edited by dmann422

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Who on earth thinks Shattenkirk is a "4th defenseman" and can you link your source?

Too lazy to go look for it, but one or two of the reputable Canadian writers -- maybe McKenzie or Dreger -- either tweeted or said that's what some scouts were telling them.  Again, it's possible that those sources were intentionally talking him down for whatever reason.  But whatever the case, he's not the sure thing UFA that Ryan Suter was.  I also think that Yandle is probably the better all around defenseman. 

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Is that even strength ranking  really that impressive? 

There are (until next season) 30 top pairings and 60 first pairing defensemen in the NHL. So yeah, being 35th in the past two seasons at even strength is pretty impressive.

Too lazy to go look for it, but one or two of the reputable Canadian writers -- maybe McKenzie or Dreger -- either tweeted or said that's what some scouts were telling them.  Again, it's possible that those sources were intentionally talking him down for whatever reason.  But whatever the case, he's not the sure thing UFA that Ryan Suter was.  I also think that Yandle is probably the better all around defenseman. 

Shattenkirk is a way better two way player than Yandle. 

Edited by Marshall

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Shattenkirk is a way better two way player than Yandle. 

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

It was Dreger who tweeted that, and I do not think he is reputable.

I mean, I don't think he made it up.  He's not hockeyyinsiderr.  Although I guess it's possible that he spoke with ten scouts, and eight told him that Shattenkirk is as good as advertised.

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

There are (until next season) 30 top pairings and 60 first pairing defensemen in the NHL. So yeah, being 35th in the past two seasons at even strength is pretty impressive.

Eh, not sure if that's really a great way to look at it.  If the 30th highest point scoring forward was a free agent we may not be as thrilled about throwing a ton of money at him.  

Nevertheless, I would be happy if the Devils signed him.

On 5/31/2017 at 9:17 PM, Daniel said:

And remotely informed and insightful commentary clearly is not yours.

lBYwEDm.gif

On 5/31/2017 at 9:08 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

So Oshie (and his spectacular wife) are vacationing with shattenkirk and his wife. I assume they've become quite close after time together in STL and WAS. We've got some endless cap room and a core group of players on controllable contracts. Why not back up the brinks truck and see if they want to team up in NJ, ala Parise and Suter?

article-0-1B8BEB5600000578-809_634x632.jpg

Jeeeeesus Christ you ain't kidding.  Hockey players land God damn bombshells.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean, I don't think he made it up.  He's not hockeyyinsiderr.  Although I guess it's possible that he spoke with ten scouts, and eight told him that Shattenkirk is as good as advertised.

Eh, not sure if that's really a great way to look at it.  If the 30th highest point scoring forward was a free agent we may not be as thrilled about throwing a ton of money at him.  

I don't think he made it up either, but he pushes people's agendas more than people like McKenzie and Friedman.

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeah nobody would be excited for Patrice Bergeron.

13 hours ago, Marshall said:

Yeah nobody would be excited for Patrice Bergeron.

Just removed foot from mouth. 

Although to dig the hole further, I'm redoing my math, and the 35th best defenseman at anything is the top 20th percentile in that category.  The top 20th percentile for a forward in a particular category is 72nd best.  Even strength points for forwards at that range are Eberle, Johansen and Radulov.  I'd throw the pile of cash for a long period of time at one of those guys.  The others would still get a nice chunk of change.

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Just removed foot from mouth. 

Although to dig the hole further, I'm redoing my math, and the 35th best defenseman at anything is the top 20th percentile in that category.  The top 20th percentile for a forward in a particular category is 72nd best.  Even strength points for forwards at that range are Eberle, Johansen and Radulov.  I'd throw the pile of cash for a long period of time at one of those guys.  The others would still get a nice chunk of change.

This is a fair point.

When looking at Shattenkirk's points, he does fine (~35th among dmen) in goals/60 and 1A/60 but seems to not be getting a lot of 2nd assists. This says more about his teammates than it does about him, IMO.

Either way, getting hung up on points for a defenseman can get iffy and I'm more excited by his territorial play and his impact there than his points. 

Edited by Marshall

I think Shatty will be a Ranger. They will discard Stoll and Girardi (buyout or trade) and sign him.  Yes, & overpay. NJ might be prepared to overpay, but enamored w/ playing @ MSG. (be careful what you wish for) 

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So it looks like Evander Kane is on his way out of Buffalo.

Think Shero looks into it?  Obviously the guy is skilled but you can't ignore the off-ice issues.

One of those guys I think could be great if he got his act together.

Problem is, he never gets his act together. 

• Like 3

Wonder if Parise has been talking up Kovy to GM Fletcher to bring him on board for Jonas Brodin.  

Yeah I'm sure Parise is trying to convince his GM to trade one of their best defenseman for a soon to be 35 year old forward who hasn't played a game of NHL hockey in four years. [emoji849][emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I mean screw that, let's just ask the Oilers for McDavid and a 1st!

Guys, there's a good possibility Jonas Brodin is going bye bye in expansion draft? This is common knowledge.  Don't take the post so seriously. We're only speculating, but what would it take to get Kovy for Tor. St. louis, & SJose? I only hear he's 34 and possibly done!  What? He had a very good year last. You don't think he could put up 20 goals-50 pt's? Great on PP? Just maybe Lou, Marty, & Petey feel otherwise. Can't we have a lil fun speculating?

On 6/5/2017 at 3:17 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

So it looks like Evander Kane is on his way out of Buffalo.

Think Shero looks into it?  Obviously the guy is skilled but you can't ignore the off-ice issues.

Nope, don't want anything to do with it.

On 6/3/2017 at 0:26 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

i would be more excited for Tom Bergeron

I don't understand how this guy doesn't get more credit than he does.  He's only 31 yrs old, sure going to be 32 in a month but whatever, and he's always been RIDICULOUSLY healthy.  Consistently plays in nearly all of his teams games, for the past ~13 seasons. Never ever any off-ice problems, and massively productive too - discarding the lockout seasons, he's has 7 straight years of 50+ points.  The guy's just as dependable as they come.  Kinda like a younger version of Marleau/Elias.  Plus, he's badass at faceoffs too.

He's one of those in-between type players, not necessarily a pure sniper, but not just a play-making passer either -- he has the hands and speed to do both. I've always loved him since he entered the league and knew he was going to be a great talent.  I'd take him on my team in a hearbeat.