Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

19 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

McDavid likely getting 13.25M for 8 years on his extension.

Holy. sh!t.  Receiving a $100 MILLION extension at the age of 20.  

The kid must feel like a fvcking king.

He pretty much is the king of hockey. 

I was shocked on that. He was at quite a few of the Oilers playoff games. 

He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer literally three weeks ago... It's scary as hell that it can all happen that quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

I was shocked on that. He was at quite a few of the Oilers playoff games. 

he worked for them as a scout. As MD said, crazy and scary how sh!t like that can happen. One of the toughest of his era, people stayed away from Gretzky because they feared Dave Semenko.

Not a good start to Patrick's NHL career, especially with all of the worries about his durability going into the draft.  I guess all of that talk about him being 100% healthy and recovered from the sports hernia last season was BS.  Not saying he is going to be injury prone his whole career, but it definitely had me concerned going into the daft and I'm sure it factored in Shero's decision.

2 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Ouch. :lol:  From NHL.com: 

"I've been in Buffalo since 2008, been through my fifth coach, my third GM. It's just good to get a change I think," Ennis said. "Just a new, fresh start, a change of scenery and a new team.

As a Bills fan, that kinda sums beautifully how destructive Terry Pegula is to his sports teams

38 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

As a Bills fan, that kinda sums beautifully how destructive Terry Pegula is to his sports teams 

Meh, unless we're talking Leon Hess ineptitude, or Vanderbeek insolvency, it's usually the luck of the draw that causes what's perceived as instability.  But the Sabres, since the beginning of the 2014 season have done basically everything they should be doing.  They tanked in the year that it really made absolute sense to tank, i.e. they were guaranteed McDavid or Eichel.  They've made good trades, some you could call a fleecing, Ryan O'Reilly a huge steal, and Evander Kane and Scandella.  They've drafted very well in the first round... Risto, Eichel, Nylander, and Mittlestadt.

Buffalo will be an elite team pretty soon.  They're probably in better shape than we are in that regard.

2 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

It would have been unresponsible towards the taxpayers not to sell the naming rights

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We paid for our NFL stadium here in Cincinnati, and the naming rights have never been sold. It's Paul Brown Stadium to this day. 

8 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

It would have been unresponsible towards the taxpayers not to sell the naming rights

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I understand the logic, but when they're selling the rights to something they didn't pay for, it just tastes bad.

Oh wait, that's just the Little Caesar's pizza. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I understand the logic, but when they're selling the rights to something they didn't pay for, it just tastes bad.

Oh wait, that's just the Little Caesar's pizza. 

The former owner was the founder and chairman of Little Caesar's.  There was no way it wouldn't have been named after the company.

They will probably have a Gordie Howe Plaza or Gordie Howe Entrance though.