News on Elias thread

BostonNala370

15 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The last id read about him, he and shero agreed to see how the injury is and they'd revisit it in October/November. 

I don't think he plans on playing anywhere else  

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/devils-in-constant-communication-with-elias-as-veteran-decides-on-future

Patrik Elias is taking a wait-and-see approach to his future. Devils GM Ray Shero seems as though he’d be happy to have Elias back, but it will all depend on the veteran winger’s health following off-season knee surgery.

1 hour ago, Zubie#8 said:

I'm torn because I love the guy but I don't see his abilities meshing with the way this team wants to play. I also do not see a spot since the acquisition of Hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, if he comes back I see him getting re-injured. If not, he could end up a "healthy" scratch because there isn't a spot, which I'd also not want to see.

At the very least, I hope he's brought back on one of those ceremonial one-day contracts so he can have a proper sendoff.

I know those contracts are kind of a sham, but I think Elias deserves at least one more night for a chance to say goodbye.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

On 09/10/2016 at 7:11 PM, Nicomo said:

I'd imagine he'll move back to the Czech Republic permanently after he retires, but who knows. 

He's been here most of his life at this point. If that was his plan, he probably would've gone back to play there this season instead of waiting around here to see if he'll get a league minimum contract.

4 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

Elias has a role in the Devils organization.  He will be a fine GM one day.  He just has to be mentored into it...perhaps by Shero.

I have a feeling Patty's family loves it here. His oldest has been in school & probably has a "Jersey" accent.  He might be really good Devil employee.  Don't know if coaching is

in his future.

8 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

He's been here most of his life at this point. If that was his plan, he probably would've gone back to play there this season instead of waiting around here to see if he'll get a league minimum contract.

Patrik Elias isn't getting a league minimum contract if he comes back.   I'm not sure he'll get $2M, but he won't get the minimum.

He might if nobody else makes him an offer. 40 year old who has essentially not played in over a year (minus 16 games), with an unproven surgical knee is not the most attractive free agent. 

Plus, if he's got one year left, who wants to switch teams for just a couple games before you realize you can't do it and you hang them up?

0BA0755D-EFB9-48EC-9DFA-5545695E561F_zps

Edited by mfitz804