News on Elias thread

BostonNala370

Let's not kid ourselves: Cammalleri, Bennett, Josefson; that's 3 forwards right there that can be counted on to miss at least 15-20 games this season haha.. And who knows what else can happen? There may be a spot for Elias to slot in in this roster, and I think Shero agrees. Let's hope Elias himself is feeling up for it.

Edited by DJ Eco

10 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Let's not kid ourselves: Cammalleri, Bennett, Josefson; that's 3 forwards right there that can be counted on to miss at least 15-20 games this season haha.. And who knows what else can happen? There may be a spot for Elias to slot in in this roster, and I think Shero agrees. Let's hope Elias himself is feeling up for it.

I think you are very conservative thinking 15-20 games, Cammy can do that by himself and more

10 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

I think you are very conservative thinking 15-20 games, Cammy can do that by himself and more

100% right haha I didn't want to be too pessimistic, but yeah I feel like those 15-20 are at least guaranteed for all 3 of them. Cammy's one year older, so yeah, probably 30+ again at least.

13 hours ago, devilsfan26 said:

I was about to say pretty much exactly this.  This is a person's career.  As long as someone is willing to employ them, who are we to say they should retire?

No one's really saying that (I definitely wasn't).  I think most Devils fans felt that if someone was willing to employ him, that he had right to play regardless of how much his skills had eroded.  Like I said, based on his final two seasons as a Devil, I would've rather seen him just retire, but yeah, that's no one's call except for Marty's.  Tri's post I think summed up beautifully with how most fans felt about Marty's final season here.   

The mentality I clashed with were the fans who felt that Marty somehow betrayed them by not playing every last minute of his career in a Devil uniform.  I definitely didn't feel the slightest bit of betrayal or any need to "forgive".  There were some who liked to theorize that Marty would've been OK being Cory's backup here had he stayed...but the situation had really just become too uncomfortable and too awkward for everyone involved...not even saying who was right or wrong or who was to blame...just that another year of that would've been rough.  It was time for everyone to move on.  No reason for hard feelings on any level towards anyone.  The guy that I give the most kudos to is definitely Cory...I don't think he possibly could've handled it any better or classier, and he was the one who was getting screwed the most.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

A little more detail about his timeline in this article (F&I):  http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/all-eyes-on-defense-as-devils-begin-on-ice-training-camp-sessions-teammates-hope-for-elias-return-1.1665591

Excerpt: 

Shero said again that neither Elias nor the team is near a decision as to whether Elias will be a Devil this season. The first part is to determine whether Elias believes his surgically-repaired knee will allow him to play.

That, Shero said, may not be determined until November.

And if/when Elias determines he wants to play, then Shero and the Devils must decide whether there’s a place for him on the roster.

Posted by Andrew Gross with F & I

"Also, by the way, seen at the rink(s) today:

1. Patrik Elias skating on his own at the practice rink (in a Devils' practice jersey) as he continues to rehab his knee. He also, it should be noted, still has a stall with his nameplate in the main dressing room. However, it should be noted, he's still an unrestricted free agent who must decide whether he wants to continue his career, or whether he physically can, before the Devils decide whether they want their all-time leading scorer, now 40, back."

On 9/26/2016 at 0:08 PM, BostonNala370 said:

Posted by Andrew Gross with F & I

"Also, by the way, seen at the rink(s) today:

1. Patrik Elias skating on his own at the practice rink (in a Devils' practice jersey) as he continues to rehab his knee. He also, it should be noted, still has a stall with his nameplate in the main dressing room. However, it should be noted, he's still an unrestricted free agent who must decide whether he wants to continue his career, or whether he physically can, before the Devils decide whether they want their all-time leading scorer, now 40, back."

Very respectful by Shero and crew, really like that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think if he were healthy, he'd be in for Speers or Wood already. If that wasn't their intention, the team wouldn't keep him hanging around, at least I don't think so anyway.

After 3 games, neither Speers nor Wood has distinguished themselves so much so as to say "you can't send him down". 

But, there is still time for that to happen. 

Still think he'll end up signing eventually if his knee is all good. We're talking a few months away though. I doubt by December that Speers / Wood will still be up here. They're too raw, they're not ready.

P.S. for anyone wondering what Patty's been up to... here's a reddit link to him taking in the game with fans at the home opener. Pretty cool: https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/587f8n/patrick_elias_is_sitting_three_rows_in_front_of/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

Still think he'll end up signing eventually if his knee is all good. We're talking a few months away though. I doubt by December that Speers / Wood will still be up here. They're too raw, they're not ready.

P.S. for anyone wondering what Patty's been up to... here's a reddit link to him taking in the game with fans at the home opener. Pretty cool: https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/587f8n/patrick_elias_is_sitting_three_rows_in_front_of/

That's awesome.  Patty is a class guy and I hope he's able to come back for a good portion of this season.

• Like 2

I really don't think he'd be skating in a Devils practice jersey and have a locker room stall if the plan wasn't that he'd have a contract when/if healthy. His speed is obviously a step plus behind the modern NHL, but he's one of the last great playmakers. When he has time on the puck, no one in hockey makes better plays than he does.

54 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I really don't think he'd be skating in a Devils practice jersey and have a locker room stall if the plan wasn't that he'd have a contract when/if healthy. His speed is obviously a step plus behind the modern NHL, but he's one of the last great playmakers. When he has time on the puck, no one in hockey makes better plays than he does.

I knew before the season started that he attended team meetings and had a locker with his name on it but I wonder if after the  season started could that be the same? 

• 2 weeks later...

As reported by Andrew Gross F&I yesterday:

Haven't reported anything new because there really is nothing new. Patrik is around the rink, skating on own, testing his knee, trying to strengthen it. Have seen him in the dressing room a few times, he's been shy, for the most part, about talking to the media until he has something to report. Tried talking to him a couple of weeks ago and he said, very nicely, no comment. Don't believe Elias or the Devils thought Elias would be able to give the organization some kind of feeling about whether he'll be able to play or not until this month. Then it's up to the organization to decide whether they want to make a spot for him or not. My opinion is that, if he can play, the Devils can use him in a bottom six role. When news starts flowing from this faucet, I will definitely report it.