2016 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

I'm assuming Palmieri slots into where Pietila is right now when he gets back from the World Cup. Things are obviously subject to a lot of change before opening night but it seems like this is what the coaching staff is thinking for line combos right now:

Hall - Henrique - Smith-Pelly
Cammalleri - Zajac - Bennett
Boucher - Zacha - Palmieri
Fiddler - Josefson - Kalinin
Gazdic, Pietila/Gibbons

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Auvitu - Merrill
Gormley/Helgeson

18 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I'm assuming Palmieri slots into where Pietila is right now when he gets back from the World Cup. Things are obviously subject to a lot of change before opening night but it seems like this is what the coaching staff is thinking for line combos right now:

Hall - Henrique - Smith-Pelly
Cammalleri - Zajac - Bennett
Boucher - Zacha - Palmieri
Fiddler - Josefson - Kalinin
Gazdic, Pietila/Gibbons

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Auvitu - Merrill
Gormley/Helgeson

I don't like having two injury prone guys on same line Cammy and Bennett because it will effect chemistry with Zajac.

First cut 

Assigned to their junior teams:
Goalie: Evan Cormier (Saginaw, OHL);
Defensemen: Colby Sissons (Swift Current, WHL), Colton White (Sault. Ste. Marie, OHL)
Forwards: Nathan Bastian (Mississauga, OHL), Brandon Gignac (Shawinigan, QMJHL), Michael McLeod (Mississauga, OHL)

Assigned to Albany (AHL):
Goalies: Ken Appleby, Mackenzie Blackwood.
Defensemen: Joshua Jacobs, Vojtech Mozik.
Forwards: Brandon Baddock, Blake Coleman, Brian Gibbons, Ryan Kujawinski, Jan Mandat, Max Novak, Blake Pietila, John Quenneville, Kevin Rooney, Ben Sexton, Ben Thomson.

Placed on Waivers:
Defensemen: Brandon Gormley, Andrew MacWilliam, Reece Scarlett, Karl Stollery.
Forward: Carter Camper

Edited by moustic

So really as expected the only true competition seems to be for the last three or four forwards.

The definites are: Hall, Cammalleri, Henrique, Zajac, Palmieri, Smith-Pelly, Fiddler, Bennett, Boucher, Josefson and Kalinin.

That would leave 3 spots for the remaining 6 of Blandisi, Zacha, Gazdic, Lappin, Speers and Wood. 

So who are you taking? And do you take these young guys only to be healthy scratches to start or do you sit Kalinin/Josefson/Smith-Pelly instead?

30 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

So really as expected the only true competition seems to be for the last three or four forwards.

The definites are: Hall, Cammalleri, Henrique, Zajac, Palmieri, Smith-Pelly, Fiddler, Bennett, Boucher, Josefson and Kalinin.

That would leave 3 spots for the remaining 6 of Blandisi, Zacha, Gazdic, Lappin, Speers and Wood. 

So who are you taking? And do you take these young guys only to be healthy scratches to start or do you sit Kalinin/Josefson/Smith-Pelly instead?

I'd go with Blandisi, Zacha & Wood. I'm hoping to see more from Kalinin this season but, if he doesn't raise his game I'd give one of the youngsters a go.  JJ, I admit, I've given up on. He just doesn't seem to be able to put points on the board and I think it's time try other options.

1 hour ago, dmann422 said:

Under the definite offense I wouldn't put Boucher there I think  Zacha has a much better chance.

boucher would have to pass through waivers - i think he makes the team out of camp but might be a waiver casualty if he does not prove enough to stay in the lineup.

while i wouldn't use the term "definite" for boucher, i think he safely makes the team.

zacha is making the team. I'll eat my hat if he doesn't.

and gazdic makes sense to be the 13th (or 14th) forward.

i don't think they're carrying 2 defensemen as extras but if they did, i could see it making sense that helgeson is one of them because as i've said before, he's a known quantity and you don't feel terrible scratching him 6 games in a row.

but assuming it's two forwards they're scratching, i think that its blandisi to start and that's because he can also play center. wood has been better this preseason but there is still stuff that they want him to work on and i'd rather him get top 6 minutes in albany than 5-8 minutes (or scratched) in NJ.

i think this is opening night roster

hall-henrique-bennett

cammalleri-zajac-palmieri

boucher-zacha-smith-pelley

kalinin-fiddler-josfeson

scratch: blandisi/gazdic

greene-lovejoy

quincey-severson

auvitu-merrill

scratch: moore

schneider

kinkaid

I think they'll keep 2 of the forwards on dmann's list - Zacha and Gazdic - and stay with 8 defensemen.  The thing about Albany is that there is nothing at all on the left side down there, so you're stuck with the 6 guys NJ has at present as lefties - any callups are going to be on the right side or career AHLers.

I think Wood will go down for a few reasons. He'll play top line minutes there and get used to pro hockey. This kid is 18 months out of prep school! Plus no waivers for him.

If he performs like we hope he'll be up quickly. I'm excited about him.