Pru Center to (finally) enforce noisemaker ban

RunninWithTheDevil

23 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Nope, I've said this numerous times over the years that I dont care either way about the chant but even if the horn isn't there people will still do the you suck in whatever goal song we have. The horn just doesn't bother me either way. 

And like I said above I heard it on Monday during the flyers game when I was there.  

You are correct, it was at the Flyers game but not at the Rangers game.  I heard they would not let the guy bring it in on Saturday.

Well, there goes the atmosphere at Prudential Center until the next time we manage to squeeze two home playoff games in.

There's nothing wrong with the you suck chant. It was an organic, fan created tradition, and it was the loudest the building got in the last half decade. The dumbest thing I hear about the you suck chant aren't the whiney parents who gasp at their kids being exposed to vulgarities at a professional sporting event, it's the people who say things like "team so and so are good, it's improper to tell them that they aren't doing a good job".

Hopefully they find a way to get it back somehow. And that isn't an unpopular opinion, as much as the NJDevs community likes to think its attitudes are reflective of the fan base at large. It's consistently the loudest the building gets, so many fans are cool with it.

My biggest problem with the opposition isn't necessarily this single chant in this single building, it's fans now siding with owners trying to make the professional sports experience ever more corporate and "family friendly".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Well, there goes the atmosphere at Prudential Center until the next time we manage to squeeze two home playoff games in.

There's nothing wrong with the you suck chant. It was an organic, fan created tradition, and it was the loudest the building got in the last half decade. The dumbest thing I hear about the you suck chant aren't the whiney parents who gasp at their kids being exposed to vulgarities at a professional sporting event, it's the people who say things like "team so and so are good, it's improper to tell them that they aren't doing a good job".

Hopefully they find a way to get it back somehow. And that isn't an unpopular opinion, as much as the NJDevs community likes to think its attitudes are reflective of the fan base at large. It's consistently the loudest the building gets, so many fans are cool with it.

My biggest problem with the opposition isn't necessarily this single chant in this single building, it's fans now siding with owners trying to make the professional sports experience ever more corporate and "family friendly".

Nothing wrong with wanting our fans to get loud doing something that isn't asinine. And it has nothing to do with it being improper. It has to do with the fact that its fvcking stupid.

5 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Nothing wrong with wanting our fans to get loud doing something that isn't asinine. And it has nothing to do with it being improper. It has to do with the fact that its fvcking stupid.

Yeah, but our fans don't, so...

I don't get it though. Some of the funniest crowds come from the NJ area. Rutgers basketball fans were really creative and funny when I was going in the 90's and, the ECW fans, although Philadelphia based, came up with some of the best chants I've ever heard at a live event.

People from the area are pretty funny, why do Devils fans have to resort to simple "You suck" chants? 

12 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Yeah, but our fans don't, so...

Which is very sad and telling when the loudest our fanbase gets is when they cheer harder against the opposition than for our own team.

I heard much more YS and RSFS chants at games the past 5 years than I heard Let's Go Devils chants.  That's our fanbase in a nutshell.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Please just stop already with the thought that people who hate YS hate it because it's vulgar.  It's not even remotely close to being vulgar and kids hear worse on their elementary school playground.  It's just a dumb chant and it makes us as a fanbase look silly and like we have some sort of massive inferiority complex.

And please just get over the fact that JVB is no longer the owner.  It's been 3 years now.  He's done, just like the goal song.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Which is very sad and telling when the loudest our fanbase gets is when they cheer harder against the opposition than for our own team.

I heard much more YS and RSFS chants at games the past 5 years than I heard Let's Go Devils chants.  That's our fanbase in a nutshell.

A bunch of fat 8th graders. 

21 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Please just stop already with the thought that people who hate YS hate it because it's vulgar.  It's not even remotely close to being vulgar and kids hear worse on their elementary school playground.  It's just a dumb chant and it makes us as a fanbase look silly and like we have some sort of massive inferiority complex.

And please just get over the fact that JVB is no longer the owner.  It's been 3 years now.  He's done, just like the goal song.

I never gave a sh!t about JVB. I'm commenting on a massive shift in the environment of every American professional sports atmosphere.

You don't like it, so it shouldn't be allowed in the stadium, got it.

5 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I never gave a sh!t about JVB. I'm commenting on a massive shift in the environment of every American professional sports atmosphere.

That's not even close to what he said, nor has the chant ever been 'banned'.  He said he didn't like it.  I don't like it either.  I would be glad if it went away forever.  I recognize this is not possible.  In hating it, I don't want 'a corporate atmosphere'; that's a false dichotomy.  The chant in its original form doesn't really make any sense.

Edited by Triumph

2 minutes ago, Triumph said:

That's not even close to what he said, nor has the chant ever been 'banned'.  He said he didn't like it.  I don't like it either.  I would be glad if it went away forever.  I recognize this is not possible.  In hating it, I don't want 'a corporate atmosphere'; that's a false dichotomy.  The chant in its original form doesn't really make any sense.

The narrative on this board coming from people who don't like it has always been in favor of banning it.

26 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

That last line is dumb.  Yeah I do not like it, but so do many others.  We minimize the amount of people who like it and you minimize the amount of people who hate it.  However the owners finally took our side so we win, you lose, I'm happy, you're upset, it's done, get over it.

Edited by DevsMan84

17 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

IMHO, a family environment is much better for the franchise. It just brings in more money. There are places where kids can't go though and they could cater a certain section or two, with a bar attached to it, to adults only. 

I don't care if the ban doesn't bring in 1 extra family to a game.  The horn and the chants were just dumb.  A victory to my ears and hopefully our image.

I really hope our team is good this year. Whether you like the chants or not at least people joined in(I'm tired of everyone giving their same exact opinions on this stuff cause we beat this topic to death every year I'm just saying people would join in)  if we stink this year again and you combine that with the Devils stubhub nonsense. The arena has the potential to be an empty morgue this year. 

Trying to get fans into chanting and being loud for this team with someone that doesn't include sucks is not an easy task. The Devils blew the great potential they had to do something to create a different atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Jerzey said:

IMHO, a family environment is much better for the franchise. It just brings in more money. There are places where kids can't go though and they could cater a certain section or two, with a bar attached to it, to adults only. 

We basically have that already. Those might as well be the black seats since most families can't afford to bring their kids to games and sit there. 

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I definitely wasn't a fan of it, especially when I was there.  Something about it was just irritating.  I think mostly because the guy who brought it had no idea of what moderation is. 

Not liking the horn doesn't correlate to wanting a quiet building.  I'm all for noise.  I just despised the vuvu.  There wasn't universal hatred for it, but I definitely think a lot of people weren't feeling it.

I wasn't there Saturday cause I was at the Red Bulls game but i still hear people do the you suck during the goal song. 

Im curious to see what happens during the first regular season game. 

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

That last line is dumb.  Yeah I do not like it, but so do many others.  We minimize the amount of people who like it and you minimize the amount of people who hate it.  However the owners finally took our side so we win, you lose, I'm happy, you're upset, it's done, get over it.

They've been on your side for 3 years, and the chant has resisted every attempt to get rid of it. What exactly makes you think we're not gonna hear it again?

15 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

They've been on your side for 3 years, and the chant has resisted every attempt to get rid of it. What exactly makes you think we're not gonna hear it again?

The chant was dying down in the short time between the new goal song made it much harder to shoehorn the YS chant in to when that one idiot with the horn decided to revive it.

The horn is a cue.  Get rid of the noisemakers and the cues, it will slowly die.  I couldn't hear the guy on 3 of the 5 goals on Saturday trying to sing the song and it seemed less % of the arena was able to do it too.  Get rid of the cue that the whole arena can hear, the less the YS people can get organized.

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wasn't there Saturday cause I was at the Red Bulls game but i still hear people do the you suck during the goal song. 

Im curious to see what happens during the first regular season game. 

YS isn't my thing and hasn't been in a long time, but I can't say it really bothers me...I'm more indifferent/immune to it and just choose not to partake...and it's obvious that there's enough fans that want to keep it going...I just kind of accept that it's there.  RSFS and the vuvu, those things I hate.  The former just isn't funny, and the latter always felt out-of-place and the guy using it never grasped the "less is more" concept. 

I've never thought of the You Suck chant as a reflection of some "inferiority complex," I've always viewed as some semblance of making our home rink a hostile environment for visiting teams. Nashville fans do the You Suck chant after goals, and I love that ownership embraces it, it's all about making your building hard to play in, and as much as some people hate the vuvuzela, it's easily the loudest our building gets at times and it's disappointing seeing it phased out because people would rather have our building sound like a library than any semblance of a hostile hockey environment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

YS isn't my thing and hasn't been in a long time, but I can't say it really bothers me...I'm more indifferent/immune to it and just choose not to partake...and it's obvious that there's enough fans that want to keep it going...I just kind of accept that it's there.  RSFS and the vuvu, those things I hate.  The former just isn't funny, and the latter always felt out-of-place and the guy using it never grasped the "less is more" concept. 

I know, there are only so many ways we can say the same thing over and over. It's not a knock on you or anyone here  but since this whole thing has been going on for so many years I can literally write down a list of the regulars here who are pro this or anti this off the top of my head when it comes to this subject lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

Just now, CommonDreads said:

I've never thought of the You Suck chant as a reflection of some "inferiority complex," I've always viewed as some semblance of making our home rink a hostile environment for visiting teams. Nashville fans do the You Suck chant after goals, and I love that ownership embraces it, it's all about making your building hard to play in, and as much as some people hate the vuvuzela, it's easily the loudest our building gets at times and it's disappointing seeing it phased out because people would rather have our building sound like a library than any semblance of a hostile hockey environment.

Damn, that isn't it...why does it have to be so friggin' black-and-white?  Again, hating the vuvuzela does NOT equal "We want a library-like atmosphere."  It just means we hated the fvcking vuvuzela.  That's it.  We can hate one particular form of noise while embracing others.  No reason to extrapolate an opinion on one thing to everything else. 

Kind of a different experience but did anyone watch Ryder Cup and see the fan's singing/chanting "Sweet Caroline" to Rory McIlroy? Now THAT is funny, and the kind of thing I could get behind. (His ex-girlfriend is tennis player Caroline Wozniacki). Golf fans have us beat by a mile :( 

Id also settle for just going back to "Let's go Devils" instead of YS randomly throughout the entire game.... almost anything would be more intelligent/amusing/fun than what we have now.