Pru Center to (finally) enforce noisemaker ban

RunninWithTheDevil

It's hard to believe that the team is all that concerned about being "family friendly" when it was 2 seasons ago that they had zero weekend afternoon home games, arguably the most family friendly time to have a game. Even now they are few and far between. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

I've never thought of the You Suck chant as a reflection of some "inferiority complex," I've always viewed as some semblance of making our home rink a hostile environment for visiting teams. Nashville fans do the You Suck chant after goals, and I love that ownership embraces it, it's all about making your building hard to play in, and as much as some people hate the vuvuzela, it's easily the loudest our building gets at times and it's disappointing seeing it phased out because people would rather have our building sound like a library than any semblance of a hostile hockey environment.

I can't name a single game where a team won or lost because of how loud the crowd has cheered for or against a team.

The whole "make the home arena hostile to the other team and their fans" thing is just fan-speak and teams like to promote that false idea as it connects with people.  However, it doesn't do a single thing for the team performance.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I can't name a single game where a team won or lost because of how loud the crowd has cheered for or against a team.

The whole "make the home arena hostile to the other team and their fans" thing is just fan-speak and teams like to promote that false idea as it connects with people.  However, it doesn't do a single thing for the team performance.

It doesn't, but it does kinda make it fun for the home team's fans. 

Here's a simple breakdown of this argument:

Pro-You Suck-ers: If we dont do it, the arena sounds dead. no one cheers any other time.

Anti-you suck-ers: fans cant cheer during anything other than you suck or rangers suck. tyring to get a lets go devils chant started and sustained is pathetic.

Both are valid points.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

The chant was dying down in the short time between the new goal song made it much harder to shoehorn the YS chant in to when that one idiot with the horn decided to revive it.

The horn is a cue.  Get rid of the noisemakers and the cues, it will slowly die.  I couldn't hear the guy on 3 of the 5 goals on Saturday trying to sing the song and it seemed less % of the arena was able to do it too.  Get rid of the cue that the whole arena can hear, the less the YS people can get organized.

Now you're just making things up. You suck was the loudest it ever was with just the vuvuzela starting it last year. Devils fans have sustained Rangers suck with just whistling for what, decades?

This whole idea that it's somehow bad for the team image is dumb, and honestly, I don't care about the team image. Why would anyone? I care about going to the games, supporting my team, and their success. I couldn't care any less about our "image".

As people get older, start families, have steady well paying jobs, I think they forget the world doesn't exist to cater to their delicate sensibilities.

Just seems awfully silly to kill one of the few traditions we have, even if even half of our fans are sick of it.

What the hell else do we have at the games? RSFS is awful, the Baumann chant is a once-or-twice per game thing..

IMO, any noise is good noise.  You can hear a pin drop in the Prudential Center in a close game.

21 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Now you're just making things up. You suck was the loudest it ever was with just the vuvuzela starting it last year. Devils fans have sustained Rangers suck with just whistling for what, decades?

This whole idea that it's somehow bad for the team image is dumb, and honestly, I don't care about the team image. Why would anyone? I care about going to the games, supporting my team, and their success. I couldn't care any less about our "image".

As people get older, start families, have steady well paying jobs, I think they forget the world doesn't exist to cater to their delicate sensibilities.

As someone who is older, has started a family, and has a steady well-paying job, I'll chime in...as for "delicate sensibilities", I don't have them.  I do have a sense of "when", when it comes to adjusting myself in certain company, but I definitely don't offend easily...bad words don't bother me in the slightest.  I curse plenty, and my sense of humor (around people of like minds) is far from safe and clean.

YS:  not offensive, just kind of played out, the days of simple R&R Part 2 "Hey!"s just felt more right.  Like I said, I'm not bothered by it, it's just kind of there to me.  

RSFS:  offensive only because it's not clever, witty, or funny, and I think we're capable of better.  And like I've said, YS at least had more of a mass following (I haven't been to enough games in recent seasons to really know if it was starting to die out).  RSFS just seems to pit fans at games against each other.  It doesn't unite one bit.

As for the vuvuzela...nothing complex there, just didn't like the sound and its general overuse.  If that guy had been a lot more discerning about it, and not acted like a fidgety 5-year-old who couldn't help himself, it probably would've reached YS status for me...just kind of there, having no real effect on me either way.

So no "delicate sensibilities" at play here.  But I will give you that some people do fit that mold.  And my mentality will always be the same:  you have a kid, you don't expect the world to sanitize itself in his or her presence.  You teach your kid that the world isn't always pretty, that some people will behave in questionable ways and not care about time and place, and that your kid will have to learn to deal with that and more...it's real life.  I'd rather my daughter gets some doses of reality now, as opposed to growing up so protected and sheltered that she's shocked by everything.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Again back to the delicate sensibilities nonsense.  I think most people with children know that when you take a kid these days to an arena/stadium that more likely than not they are going to hear something they shouldn't, even in the most sanitized environment you can get at an arena.

The point is that the chant is just dumb.  It is not offensive at least to me, just absolutely dumb and played out.  This is not some 30-year franchise-long tradition, this is something that started about a year before they moved to Newark.  Also the YS chant was loud even before the vuvuzela, it just got drowned out a bit as it was played during RnR pt 2.  The vuvulzela was played during play when the arena can't blast music to drown it out.

Whenever Devils fans complain about how they are seen by other fanbases and how we are not respected I laugh because then those same people claim to "not care about our image."  Yeah Rangers and Flyers fans will always same the same dumb sh!t over and over again, but when you are telling the other team you suck after we score a goal but still down 5-2 and do the RSFS chant when the Devils aren't playing either team 5 times a period, yeah that doesn't exactly help either.

54 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Just seems awfully silly to kill one of the few traditions we have, even if even half of our fans are sick of it.

What the hell else do we have at the games? RSFS is awful, the Baumann chant is a once-or-twice per game thing..

IMO, any noise is good noise.  You can hear a pin drop in the Prudential Center in a close game.

Let's Go Devils

Here we go Devils

Charge

De-fense

Baumann Chant

Cory!

Henrique!

You know, chants that support our team instead of completely focusing on the other team.

• Like 1

I've wanted Devils fans to try and start doing something like the Iceland "OOO!" Viking Chant. It's A] easy/dumb as hell for the casual fan to pick up on, and B] would sound pretty damn intimidating, especially with a good crowd and the acoustics of the building. I heard the Sweden fans do it during the World Cup of Hockey. It'd be cool to start a power play with as the Devils begin setting up.

Edited by DJ Eco

6 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I've wanted Devils fans to try and start doing something like the Iceland "OOO!" Viking Chant. It's A] easy/dumb as hell for the casual fan to pick up on, and B] would sound pretty damn intimidating, especially with a good crowd and the acoustics of the building. I heard the Sweden fans do it during the World Cup of Hockey. It'd be cool to start a power play with as the Devils begin setting up.

Problem is that it doesn't involve focusing on the other team or teams they are not even playing, so the chant will never be embraced by Devils fans.

I'm all for something new too. I tolerate YS, but I'm not in my 20s anymore. Some people grow up. But RSFS (CW) is especially vulgar and if you want dads to bring their kids to games, and hope those kids keep going as they get older, then this is 1 big reason a parent would stop bringing their kid(s), and stop going and just watching on tv. That Iceland video was cool.  Wish something like that or similar could catch on.   

2 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

So everyone is aware, when someone says "you suck", it usually doesn't have to do with performance at any given thing. It's just a negative comment.

Yup, this. The opposing team always sucks. It's not meant literally.

To then try to evaluate "gee, if you look at the statistics they are clearly far better, and as such you shouldn't say they suck", means you are really a nerd and don't have any idea how to have fun. 

Also, I'll believe this ban when I see it, and it won't stop the chant, but it would stop the annoying horn so I'm in favor. 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2016 at 5:06 PM, Toasterleavins said:

Kind of a different experience but did anyone watch Ryder Cup and see the fan's singing/chanting "Sweet Caroline" to Rory McIlroy? Now THAT is funny, and the kind of thing I could get behind. (His ex-girlfriend is tennis player Caroline Wozniacki). Golf fans have us beat by a mile :( 

Id also settle for just going back to "Let's go Devils" instead of YS randomly throughout the entire game.... almost anything would be more intelligent/amusing/fun than what we have now.

It's golf. Like with soccer the most interesting things happen in the stands rather than on the field.

19 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Words mean stuff. At least if you want to be coherent.

Well, no, that's not how language always works. There are a lot of subtle nuances that give spoken language character. Language isn't a set of rules some a$$holes in England arbitrarily set. Everyone says things every day that mean something totally different than the literal meanings of the words suggest, and things that mean nothing at all.