Wedgewood to go on waivers

John Wensink

Surprising, definitely would of kept Wedge over KK.  This may also be a heads-up waiver to teams needing a young goalie (which has achieved at every level he has played). San Jose? Dallas? Future considerations?

This expansion draft year has thrown a monkey wrench into protecting players/roster/trades too

I'd be surprised if he gets claimed though. You'd think Pavelec goes first if anyone is still looking for a backup. I guess the extra  money could be a factor but if SAN Jose is serious about another cup run they're probably better off going with Pavelec.

Edited by Jerzey

As soon as I saw Tri had responded I thought "He's the one who will say he'd rather have Kinkaid."  

It's a tough call, but if Wedge doesn't come up and have that very small-sample burst, then there's a lot less clamoring for him to stick around.  I'd probably lean towards Wedge myself, mostly because I think Kink is what he is.

Like DD56 said, we probably know what we're getting with Kink, which can be a good or bad thing (he's your basic meh NHL backup).  We don't quite know for sure with Wedge, who like Tri noted, has had one good year.  

As long as Cory stays healthy, hard to say how much one guy or the other will influence the Devils' point total.  I think I take Wedge, but I'm going that way because I'm intrigued off too small a sample...not necessarily the best approach to take.  The safer pick is Kink, the gamble is Wedge.  

8 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

Isn't Blackwood the backup they truly want? Although I liked Wedgewood last season I don't think it mattered. Maybe they hope other teams realize he only had one year and won't take him.

Maybe the Devils don't really care if he is claimed. If I was the Devils I'd probably be higher on Appleby playing well over Wedgewood this season and Blackwood needs to get his games in too. 

12 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

Isn't Blackwood the backup they truly want? Although I liked Wedgewood last season I don't think it mattered. Maybe they hope other teams realize he only had one year and won't take him.

Blackwood projects as a future starter at this point (that's the hope...he has a ways to go obviously).  Kink is what he is:  a guy who is destined to be an NHL backup unless something catastrophic happens to at least one goalie within his franchise...but if he was truly better than that, then he's a possible starter (or a guy who gets more starts than the other guy)...you don't see too many Super Back-Ups around, otherwise they're destined to get a shot eventually elsewhere (Cory was actually an exception, in that circumstances dictated that he waited much longer to get his chance than he ever should have).  I think Kink probably knows what he is as well as we do.  Wherever Blackwood is playing, he needs minutes and as many of them as he can get.   

I feel like we'd have been more likely to lose Kinkaid on waivers to San Jose just due to the familiarity for DeBoer. Wedgewood wasn't up when DeBoer was here - I'm sure he got reports and saw him in camps, but I feel like his hands-on experience with Wedgewood is much more limited.

Pretty much anyone else has a tandem set, so they'd have to expose Wedgewood to waivers to get him in the AHL too (I think - can someone else confirm?), so short of cutting their backup, I can't see most teams picking him up, even with the potential he may (or may not) have.

It's probably worth the risk. (Now watch him get claimed by San Jose and blow up all this neat little logic I convinced myself with.)