Devils Claim P.A. Parenteau

Derlique

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Almost has you wondering if someone knows something that we don't.  No complaints though...if Shero had just signed him as a UFA to that money, we'd all be happy with it.  Worth the gamble.  Guy actually had a three-season stretch where he played in 209 games and put up 163 points...it was a while ago though.

Yep, like someone said earlier.. At worst it's depth coverage. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Almost has you wondering if someone knows something that we don't.  No complaints though...if Shero had just signed him as a UFA to that money, we'd all be happy with it.  Worth the gamble.  Guy actually had a three-season stretch where he played in 209 games and put up 163 points...it was a while ago though.

Exactly, but as you intimated, at that price he's totally worth the risk. 

I definitely like the move, let's see how they utilize him. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Right? It doesn't really make a lot of sense. 20-21-41 were the actual points. I mean, in this NHL, scoring 20 and assisting on 21 and you get waived??

Even if he does half of that (10-10-20), those 20 points would be better than everyone but 5 guys on last year's roster, imagine that?

Edited by DJ Eco

About as charmin soft a player as you'll ever see but, he registers on the score sheet and you can never have enough of that. And he scores in the shootout which is so so important. It could be the difference between missing and making the playoffs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sundstrom said:

maybe but parenteau's knock is that he is not a good skater - i don't know if you want him with 9-14.

Is this the first move Shero has made the didn't involve us getting faster?  Not saying it is a bad move, just seems out of character for Shero from what I've seen so far. 

Edited by Joe B

It's impossible to not like this addition.

hes a very solid player- I remember just like two years ago I was hoping he or ROR would end up a Devil

No risk, high reward. It's concerning why he was ever on waivers in the first place but I'm excited to see where they play him 

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

this is my thought too, was it strictly financial or is there something else which has made him a journeyman the last 4 years?  if he can still finish, its a plus on this team

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He should help in the shootout, which is a big plus, but otherwise I see him as Michael Ryder 2.0.  If he's not scoring goals, he's not doing very much for you. 

He's a much more rounded offensive player than Ryder. He's a pretty good playmaker but I do agree if he's not producing offensively, he's not helping much

Something IS kinda troubling with him being cast aside on the eve of the season. Generally this doesn't happen to good useful players who contribute to good teams.

Ryder was just hilariously slow. First year here you could see he had very little hockey left. The shot never left him but he could not find space for himself at all anymore.

Edited by '7'

Since 2014, Parenteau has been traded for a sh!tty and washed up Danny Briere, waived twice, bought out once, and signed with a team that ended up in last place.

All he's done was be 146th in points/60 while being a positive territorial contributor as well as a shootout guy.

He came from nowhere and teams always think he's replacable.  It's not as easy to replace him as it seems.

P.A. Will be great for the Devs. Watched him out here in Colorado a few years back. He is scrappy, and capable of putting the puck in the net with good linemates. Liked him a lot, and was sorry to see the Avs move him. There was speculation he was in Roy's doghouse at the time, but he is a real solid addition.

• Like 1