2016 MLB Postseason

thecoffeecake

18 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol this must be what it felt like to watch the NLCS Game 6 in 1986...another rally back from the dead for the Indians to make it tight again.

Good comparison. Though I dont think that Game 6 in 1986 had as many twists and turns 1-9 as this one did, but NYC totally stopped functioning as that game happened. And facing Mike Scuff in game 7 they pretty much had to score 3 in the 9th...and they did.

This was just an unreal moment in sports. We wont see a game like that under those circumstances in a very long time. Hate to say it but Rags/Canucks is a good comparison

Devils/Stars game 5 and 6 in 2000 was incredible too...though the nation wasnt really focused on it. You had the Giants SB wins over the Bills and Patriots...but as pure games this one was much better than either of those

And what a horrific kick in the stomach for Cleveland now. 70 years. This rips their heart out.

I just thought Allen was getting away with fat pitches long enough (hard hit balls too) too warrant a hook. Lucky they didnt get to him earlier but as so many managers do...they wait too long with a struggling reliever.

Edited by '7'

Good thing for Cleveland they had LeBron and that great comeback, otherwise that city would burn itself to the ground from Charlie Brown-type sports despair.

7 hours ago, '7' said:

I just thought Allen was getting away with fat pitches long enough (hard hit balls too) too warrant a hook. Lucky they didnt get to him earlier but as so many managers do...they wait too long with a struggling reliever.

In Francona's case though his relievers were his strength and Allen was the last guy before they started going to the rest of the mediocrity. Francona got this far relying on his pen, they all picked the worst time to break down.

In general I do hate how this postseason has become a starters, just give me four innings and you're outta here game.  I understand it in a Game 7 when you also have other starters in the pen but this has been going on all postseason, pulling pitchers to get to iffy middle relievers like Carl Edwards or Joe Blanton.  Imagine if one of these managers tried to pull a Jack Morris in the fifth inning, or even MadBum, there'd be a fight on the mound.  

I understand it with the Indians since they're down to Kluber and their #4-5 starters but Maddon was hooking his veteran starting pitchers way too quick to get to a mediocre pen and throw Chapman out for 45 pitches.  He finally paid for his machinations in Game 7 - and STILL won.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Good thing for Cleveland they had LeBron and that great comeback, otherwise that city would burn itself to the ground from Charlie Brown-type sports despair.

I feel bad for the Cleveland fans. The Indians were an afterthought in this WS and they had to endure a more financially strong opposing fan base take over there building. This must be their Ranger 94 moment.

1 hour ago, eaglejelly said:

I feel bad for the Cleveland fans. The Indians were an afterthought in this WS and they had to endure a more financially strong opposing fan base take over there building. This must be their Ranger 94 moment.

Yeah kind of sucked from that standpoint but when you're 28th in the league in attendance there are seats to be had. And Cub fans have more disposable income to buy scalped seats than Cleveland natives.

I don't get what happened to the Indians overall. The Jake used to be the place to be for 90's roid era slugging baseball. Packed to the gills every night and the Indians were always a perennial contender.

Since they fell off that 90's perch they haven't been bad but...middling. But every so often they build up to a contender and never quite get there. Thing is the city just never gets behind them like they did from say 1994 to say 2001. So much so that when they renovated that ballpark (which never had a huge capacity anyway) they ripped 7,000 seats out of a 42,000 seat stadium and they still saw many empties in a 35,000 seat field. Very odd. In 2007 and this year they just never got behind the Indians like they did in the past. This team was 13th out of 15th in attendance? Granted it could just be a demographics/economy thing.

I was always kind of upset the Wilpons built a 41,000 capacity stadium that really doesn't give us that shaking cauldron of noise that 56,000 seat Shea did. I will defend to the death that a full Shea was the loudest stadium in baseball. It roared. 2nd may have been Metrodome...but domes to open air is apples and oranges.

Cleveland is and always will be about the Browns. The Browns are it. They hate the Steelers more than they love the Cavaliers. They really are still haunted by the 1980's and the repeated stomach punches. (the Browns and Jets are the two franchises that really should've had at least one Super Bowl trip in the expansion 80's...yea it would've been AFC lambs to the slaughter but still) 1996...the NFL should have never allowed Modell to move them. Everything about the "Browns" is unspeakably tragic. These revived impostors are like some kind of revived Pet Sematary zombie that shouldn't exist. Even their stupid uniform "update" which nobody wanted or liked.

Edited by '7'