Jump to content

2016-2017 Lineup Thread


sundstrom
 Share

Recommended Posts

I guess for now, this is the only update on Zacha:

 

Quote

Also, rookie Pavel Zacha (facial laceration), who took a puck to the mouth area on Saturday, will miss his second straight game and will not travel with the team to Montreal.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/fireandice/2016/12/07/schneider-starts-montreal-kinkaid-vs-blues/95097608/

Seems like a tough dude. My guess is they don't have to put him on IR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

julie r posted some stuff on periscope - in tight drills and good battling. hopefully a renewed focus. no word on lines though.

i'm hoping both zacha and josefson are back in.

never going to see it, but i'd love this reshuffle

hall-zajac-cammalleri

wood-zacha-palmieri

henrique-josefson-paranteau

kalinin-fiddler-lappin

dsp/bennett

greene-lovejoy

merrill-severson

auvitu-quincey

moore

PP 1:

hall-zajac-josefson

palmieri-severson

PP 2:

zacha-henrique-cammalleri

auvitu-paranteau

PK pairs:

zajac-henrique

fiddler-josefson

wood-kalinin

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

julie r posted some stuff on periscope - in tight drills and good battling. hopefully a renewed focus. no word on lines though.

i'm hoping both zacha and josefson are back in.

never going to see it, but i'd love this reshuffle

hall-zajac-cammalleri

wood-zacha-palmieri

henrique-josefson-paranteau

kalinin-fiddler-lappin

dsp/bennett

greene-lovejoy

merrill-severson

auvitu-quincey

moore

PP 1:

hall-zajac-josefson

palmieri-severson

PP 2:

zacha-henrique-cammalleri

auvitu-paranteau

PK pairs:

zajac-henrique

fiddler-josefson

wood-kalinin

I like those lines, though I would put DSP in place of Kalinin.  Only other major change that most would probably have issue with and why it may never happen is Henrique on the 3rd line and Wood on 2nd, but I'm all for mixing it up right now and seeing what sticks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I like those lines, though I would put DSP in place of Kalinin.  Only other major change that most would probably have issue with and why it may never happen is Henrique on the 3rd line and Wood on 2nd, but I'm all for mixing it up right now and seeing what sticks.

 

the "2nd vs 3rd" line really doesn't mean much besides icetime. wood has shown in his recent play that he can make things happen. henrique most notably has not. i could also see that "3rd" line get their brains beat in possession wise but the whole team has been playing that way.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

 

the "2nd vs 3rd" line really doesn't mean much besides icetime. wood has shown in his recent play that he can make things happen. henrique most notably has not. i could also see that "3rd" line get their brains beat in possession wise but the whole team has been playing that way.

 

True, but that's actually kinda what I was referring to.  Not sure if the rest of the world is ready to give Wood more minutes, especially over someone like Henrique who is a proven vet, even if he's a proven 20-goal scorer and not the 25-30 goal guy we all want/need him to be.  The thing is, if you're wrong, and Wood doesn't make the most of his increased minutes, those games where Henrique sits on the 3rd line are gone, and you're left with a bunch of I-told-you-so's.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True, but that's actually kinda what I was referring to.  Not sure if the rest of the world is ready to give Wood more minutes, especially over someone like Henrique who is a proven vet, even if he's a proven 20-goal scorer and not the 25-30 goal guy we all want/need him to be.  The thing is, if you're wrong, and Wood doesn't make the most of his increased minutes, those games where Henrique sits on the 3rd line are gone, and you're left with a bunch of I-told-you-so's.  

this year has to be about advancing the franchise forward and that means seeing what you have with guys like wood. henrique is a known quantity.

henrique has been pretty terrible this year and so he deserves a bit of a demotion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What in the actual fvck. WHY?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a protection thing for Hall and since we been getting tossed around like ragdolls past few games, it's time to get some tougher with Gazdic. I just don't agree with sending Auvitu down... why not Moore or Lovejoy??

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Might be a protection thing for Hall and since we been getting tossed around like ragdolls past few games, it's time to get some tougher with Gazdic. I just don't agree with sending Auvitu down... why not Moore or Lovejoy??

On the surface, this is an asinine move. Maybe I'd get it if Gazdic could actually, ya know, play hockey- but he's a slightly more skilled Cam Janssen. And yeah Auvitu goes down while that clown Moore can fvck up with impunity. This doesn't give me confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Aznjsn said:

Might be a protection thing for Hall and since we been getting tossed around like ragdolls past few games, it's time to get some tougher with Gazdic. I just don't agree with sending Auvitu down... why not Moore or Lovejoy??

That's exactly what this is, at least the calling up Gadzic part. Remember how physical the Nucks game got or the cheap shots on Palm in Montreal and Lappin late in a 5-0 game. As much as people want to mock employing no talent goons you need to have a deterrent around when teams start taking liberties.

The sending Auvitu down part and having 15 F and 6 D is what makes no sense. I'd rather they have sent him down for Santini and have him be the snarl but they clearly don't think he's ready yet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having Gazdic in the lineup won't prevent any of that.  It's by far the stupidest idea in hockey that a deterrent is a thing that happens.  More likely your 'deterrent' ends up committing a major penalty/getting suspended than preventing any himself.

I am opposed to this idea but the team is playing so terrible that it's not the worst thing they could've done.  It's close, though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't agree with the move at all, but we can't pretend that Auvitu is exempt from criticism. Amongst the hate for Quincey, Lovejoy, Moore, and others, I've noticed that Auvitu has been one guy that no one has been pointing out as being weak lately, which he has been. I'd rather take out Quincey or Lovejoy obviously, but Auvitu has been far from perfect also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

Having Gazdic in the lineup won't prevent any of that.  It's by far the stupidest idea in hockey that a deterrent is a thing that happens.  More likely your 'deterrent' ends up committing a major penalty/getting suspended than preventing any himself.

I am opposed to this idea but the team is playing so terrible that it's not the worst thing they could've done.  It's close, though.

It works. The Islanders needed that brawl against Pitt a few years ago to feel more legitimate, to feel like they matter in a league that allowed opponents to have their way with them with no repercussions. A few years ago the Flyers season season was in the toilet, then they went 1975 on the Capitals and it completely turned their season around from that moment and made the playoffs where they were an eyelash away from spiraling into a 2010 MacLean Devils season.

Play him. Instigate a massive brawl, get everyone involved and send a message to the Montreals and Rangers and Canucks and to the NHL and anybody else that wants to push the Devils around.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

Having Gazdic in the lineup won't prevent any of that.  It's by far the stupidest idea in hockey that a deterrent is a thing that happens.  More likely your 'deterrent' ends up committing a major penalty/getting suspended than preventing any himself.

That's just not true in any shape or form.  Lots of teams still employ at least one "tough guy", and most of them dress for the majority of the season.  You're making it sound like a guy who gets released from prison and immediately commits murder and ends up back in jail.  It's not like as soon as they hit the ice they're getting a "major penalty or suspended".  Some others here have already provided more than one or two examples of why we need some muscle in the lineup for a little while, and bringing up a guy like him might (hopefully), fill that void.  

Plus, most of us agree that this team, and the real most likely reason for the current rough stretch, just isn't that talented, especially on defense, and perhaps the coaching staff has realized that too. So if there's no real way to improve your team and magically make them better, why not do what you can and shake things up by putting a little toughness into your lineup?

I admit I'm not thrilled with who they chose to send down in order to bring him up, but I'm at least happy to see an attempt being made to make something happen, and at this point it really couldn't hurt or make things worse.

It's far from the "stupidest idea in hockey".  

Edited by NJDfan1711
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, '7' said:

It works. The Islanders needed that brawl against Pitt a few years ago to feel more legitimate, to feel like they matter in a league that allowed opponents to have their way with them with no repercussions. A few years ago the Flyers season season was in the toilet, then they went 1975 on the Capitals and it completely turned their season around from that moment and made the playoffs where they were an eyelash away from spiraling into a 2010 MacLean Devils season.

Play him. Instigate a massive brawl, get everyone involved and send a message to the Montreals and Rangers and Canucks and to the NHL and anybody else that wants to push the Devils around.

I have a rock that keeps tigers away.  I don't see any tigers around, so it must be that rock.

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's just not true in any shape or form.  Lots of teams still employ at least one "tough guy", and most of them dress for the majority of the season.  You're making it sound like a guy who gets released from prison and immediately commits murder and ends up back in jail.  It's not like as soon as they hit the ice they're getting a "major penalty or suspended".  Some others here have already provided more than one or two examples of why we need some muscle in the lineup for a little while, and bringing up a guy like him might (hopefully), fill that void.  

Plus, most of us agree that this team, and the real most likely reason for the current rough stretch, just isn't that talented, especially on defense, and perhaps the coaching staff has realized that too. So if there's no real way to improve your team and magically make them better, why not do what you can and shake things up by putting a little toughness into your lineup?

I admit I'm not thrilled with who they chose to send down in order to bring him up, but I'm at least happy to see an attempt being made to make something happen, and at this point it really couldn't hurt or make things worse.

It's far from the "stupidest idea in hockey".  

First off, most teams do not employ at least one 'tough guy' and most of them do not dress for the majority of the season.  Fighting majors keep going down and goons keep going away.  The Devils haven't employed such a player this year.  They did employ Bobby Farnham last year.  I don't consider Jordin Tootoo a goon, though he can certainly fight - he was an NHL-quality player for years (though he may not have been one last year).   

Putting an untalented player on your team to roam around the ice for 8 minutes wasting everyone's time doesn't help the scoring or defensive problems.  In fact, he exacerbates it.  The only thing he does do is provide a guy who's willing to get revenge for being pushed around.  It's not a deterrent at all, but there is a designated revenge guy if games get out of hand.  Good to know.  Now most of these guys are also 'good locker room' guys, and I'll grant that probably has some value when the team has been as bad as it has the last few games, but let's not pretend this isn't a desperate move.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this has been pointed out before I apologize. 

Auvitu and Java are the only two that don't need to clear waivers to go to Albany. So Auvitu is the goat. I don't agree with this move at all. JJ brings more to the game than DSP. Bennett needs to be moved up in the lineup. If this team needs a strong arm player to lift it up we need psychologists instead of players. Haynes has lost this team and the team team's mission IMO.

Edited by BostonNala370
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meh on the Gadzic call up.  Maybe he's a good locker room guy, and maybe he gets into a fight that revs up the team a little.  And it's not like whoever he's going to replace has been setting the world on fire.  

The goaltending has been pretty terrible over the last month, and we're starting to see why it took so long for defenseman like Quincey and Moore to get low money deals.  I'm praying that Shero pulls out all of the stops to sign Shattenkirk, even if it means giving him a deal with a $7.5 million AAV (the Devils can afford to overpay for one or two players at this point).  Very little help on the blue line from within the system.

Just gotta hope that Schneider returns to what he's supposed to be.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Meh on the Gadzic call up.  Maybe he's a good locker room guy, and maybe he gets into a fight that revs up the team a little.  And it's not like whoever he's going to replace has been setting the world on fire.  

The goaltending has been pretty terrible over the last month, and we're starting to see why it took so long for defenseman like Quincey and Moore to get low money deals.  I'm praying that Shero pulls out all of the stops to sign Shattenkirk, even if it means giving him a deal with a $7.5 million AAV (the Devils can afford to overpay for one or two players at this point).  Very little help on the blue line from within the system.

Just gotta hope that Schneider returns to what he's supposed to be.

It could make a difference if it's Bennett or PAP coming out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.