GDT Home Open Jamboree - Ducks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+/WFAN

thelastonealive

13 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

So after reading  some of that Facebook group and never seeing or dealing with any of these people before I now understand why you post the way you do about our fans sometimes lol

And I consider those groups a bigger cross-section of our fanbase than here or any other message board.  Realistically, these days only about 25-30 people on here post on a consistent basis.  On there is hundreds.  Some are pretty good and I like their posts, while a lot are well, you see it.  I stay because they discuss everything while here seems to mostly stick to just on-ice stuff.

1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

I think it's pretty naïve to believe that only we have idiots in our fan base (or that we have more). Obviously, spending so much time digesting Devils news, links, and comments exposes us to some true intellectuals, but we spend far less time looking at other teams. Every fan base in every sport has morons and unfortunately they are typically louder than the rest. As far as people yelling "SHOOT!" ... having been to plenty of other buildings in the league as a neutral fan at games not involving the Devils, I can assure you there are people screaming that at every game. Hard to get too worked up over that.

In regards to Facebook groups... "DEVILS ALL DAY ALL NIGHT" has to be the worst thing on facebook. They're the ones that hang outside 124 during intermissions and chant rangers suck on the concourse, it's like they're just sh!tposting IRL. Moving away from that section to 116 was the best move I have made so far as a STH.

Anyway, I thought the crowd was pretty awesome, but I sit in the front row of my section with no one in front of me but the lower level so I'll admit I was not exactly paying attention to what people were doing in the stands, but it was decently packed and pretty loud so... really fun first game.

It's a romper room for sure, but not much different than any of the other FB groups.  The reason why that seems worse is because they just have the most members and are by far the most active (7000+ members).  The next biggest is Real NJ Devils fan group and that group has about 6000+ members, but the mods gave up on it a while ago and it has been pretty dead in there for the past 1-2 years.  When that group was very active (which was before DADAN group started), it was basically the same and also a giant romper room.  The other groups are too small to get any decent activity and most are just small groups started by people banned from the 2 big groups.

19 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I know all fanbases have those fans, but some Jersey fans seem to have a bit of that New Yawk thing plus a bit of inferiority mixed in. Obviously not all, but there do seem to be some fans that think the night is about them

Every time I have mentioned in the past our fans having an inferiority complex I get destroyed.  That includes on here.

19 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I might have a unique perspective as both a Rutgers and Devils fan (ie, I get double exposure to NJ fans with a light sprinkle of NY mixed in) but I can say, with confidence, that generally speaking New Jersey sports fans might be some of the more arrogant and yet least knowledgeable fans I've ever dealt with.

I know this feeds right into the whole "NJ fans love to trash each other" thing, but I cannot tell you how many times I've experienced jaw-dropping stupidity in person, at the Rock and at High Point Solutions Stadium, and online on various forums.

I'm sure every fanbase has its morons.  But it sure seems like we have a whole lot of them.

Unfortunately I have to agree and have been saying this for years.

I should be the last person to talk about other people's intelligence but living outside of NJ for 20 years has made me realize that a lot of people from the tri state area have a false sense of intelligence and the superiority complex is out of control. This is especially true with New Yorkers. They act like they're god's gift to the world. It's embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Steven M. said:

In regards to Facebook groups... "DEVILS ALL DAY ALL NIGHT" has to be the worst thing on facebook. They're the ones that hang outside 124 during intermissions and chant rangers suck on the concourse, it's like they're just sh!tposting IRL. Moving away from that section to 116 was the best move I have made so far as a STH.

You can say this about any sports team Facebook groups really, especially one that's so active, and actually has so many people in the building consistently (and for that, I give them credit). 

We're all here on a message board, which is an extremely outdated concept FYI, so we're all of a certain age range I think. I'm only 29 but joined almost 10 years ago, which is crazy. Maybe we have a *few* younger folks in their teens and early 20s? I don't know. But teens and early 20s, that's largely what most of the demographic of any Facebook group is going to be.

So I don't think you guys dislike "just" the Devils All Day All Night group on Facebook, you just dislike 16-25 year old, drunk, college-age Devils fans' antics. Our outlet is still what we know and are used to, which is this message board, and maybe others like it. This is ours, and Facebook is the outlet in which that demographic is discussing Devils hockey, that's theirs.

Edited by DJ Eco

6 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

You can say this about any sports team Facebook groups really, especially one that's so active, and actually has so many people in the building consistently (and for that, I give them credit). 

We're all here on a message board, which is an extremely outdated concept FYI, so we're all of a certain age range I think. I'm only 29 but joined almost 10 years ago, which is crazy. Maybe we have a *few* younger folks in their teens and early 20s? I don't know. But teens and early 20s, that's largely what most of the demographic of any Facebook group is going to be.

So I don't think you guys dislike "just" the Devils All Day All Night group on Facebook, you just dislike 16-25 year old, drunk, college-age Devils fans' antics. Our outlet is still what we know and are used to, which is this message board, and maybe others like it. This is ours, and Facebook is the outlet in which that demographic is discussing Devils hockey, that's theirs.

There are clearly plenty of people on there way above 25. Just seems like there are a lot of morons but that can be said for any group of people because most people are morons lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

There are clearly plenty of people on there way above 25. Just seems like there are a lot of morons but that can be said for any group of people because most people are morons lol

While most on there seem to be indeed late teens and into their 20's, I agree there is a good cross section of people on there and the stupidity doesn't limit itself to one age group.

Just remember, these people are your run of the mill fans that largely attend our games and not people on this board whom I consider quite a bit beyond those type of fans.  Unfortunately they outnumber us 100 to 1.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

While most on there seem to be indeed late teens and into their 20's, I agree there is a good cross section of people on there and the stupidity doesn't limit itself to one age group.

Just remember, these people are your run of the mill fans that largely attend our games and not people on this board whom I consider quite a bit beyond those type of fans.  Unfortunately they outnumber us 100 to 1.

Thankfully I don't sit near any of these people. I never knew there was such an online amount of drama in the Devils fanbase lol the Kinkaid couple stuff was like reading a bad reality show. Funny thing is I sat behind them downstairs for a game last season and just figured they were related somehow cause why the hell else would both of them have his jersey lol

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Thankfully I don't sit near any of these people. I never knew there was such an online amount of drama in the Devils fanbase lol the Kinkaid couple stuff was like reading a bad reality show. Funny thing is I sat behind them downstairs for a game last season and just figured they were related somehow cause why the hell else would both of them have his jersey lol

lol it's big drama, but can't say it's boring.  They were the ones who followed Michael Ryder home one day after the game to his house and Ryder.  My memory is fuzzy about what happened next, but I think Ryder even broke the Lou rule of no twitter by tweeting about it and how he was freaked out by it.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I stay because they discuss everything while here seems to mostly stick to just on-ice stuff.

I posted this in the suggestion part of the forum but I'd like to see the rock section just be condensed down to 1 thread like Hf boards has for season ticket holders / prudential Center and surrounding area thread. That's the one reason I actually go over to hf. The Rock section is pretty much dead here. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Yeah, hate to put a pin in that argument but if you want to find Devils fans ages 18-25, that's instagram. Facebook is for older folks now. I don't know a single person who's younger than 28 that uses facebook with any frequency at all.

haha True... Things are moving so fast that what I think "is for younger people" is already outdated lmao

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I posted this in the suggestion part of the forum but I'd like to see the rock section just be condensed down to 1 thread like Hf boards has for season ticket holders / prudential Center and surrounding area thread. That's the one reason I actually go over to hf. The Rock section is pretty much dead here. 

Pretty much every sub-forum here is dead except for Hell and The Locker Room.

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I left all of those Facebook groups a while ago... They were just too infuriating. I'm much happier now. 

There is just so much "Marty should be starting in 2014" and "trade corey, Kinkaid can start" and "Larsson is a bust" I can take in a day. 

And then there's the crazy correlation between the "Larsson is a bust!" crowd from 1.5-2 years ago being skeptical about the Hall-Larsson trade.

By some NHL computer glitch, we could trade our 7th Rd. Pk. in 2046 for Patrick Kane, and some of the Facebook group mutants would be skeptical about us having given away "too big of a return", and somehow turn it on its head to rail on Shero and "the new owners."

I'm sure the frustration with those groups is real but if you're upset at what people post on Facebook then you're going to be upset all day, everyday - Devils group or any other public online group. This is basically complaining about online comments. Try not to take asinine comments so seriously, especially if they're really stupid. 

• Like 1

I had the misfortune of sitting with the Kinkaid couple during this game. I was sitting at the section 13 tables with them. He was sh!t faced. They told me and my brother that they were the kinkaid couple and were surprised we never heard of them. They told us to look them up on Twitter because they were trending. My brother told them he doesn't have twitter because he's an adult and has adult things to do. I don't have twitter either but i searched the hashtag on instagram and only saw 1 post. They kept going on about how they couldn't believe we didn't know who they are. So needless to say we hated them off the bat. The guy was showing us all his (retarded) devils tattoos to impress us I guess. He pretty much wouldn't shut up all game about his super-fandom. He wants Schneider to be traded because he's too good for the Devils, except Kinkaid is better. So logic is out the window on this one too.

During the second period he was trying to get a let's go devils chant but it wasnt working. Then he started calling everyone pansies for not chanting and directing his anger at two lesbians. So I boo'd him and told the crowd to boo him too. Which led to him calling me a pansy which I just laughed at. He asked why I wasn't chanting and I told him I don't want to which is when he called me a pansy too. I told him I don't have to do what he says because he's not my dad! He also was trying to tell me I was supposed to say lets go devils after he says it. I told him no I'm supposed to clap after you say lets go devils. He didn't get it because, you know, logic. And he kept going on and on about how the devils fans suck but he would never fight a devils fan because it was getting to that point with me. He was telling me about all the away games he goes to and asked if I was going to the Boston game and I said no because jobs exist and he shook his head as in "see i'm better than you because I'm going".  He was saying he lives in Florida and was showing us pics on his phone of him with Stamkos and other players. As if we cared. Then some other guy at the next table was done with him and set him straight. So the couple and their friends ended up standing at the next section over for the 3rd period. They ended up getting into an argument because she was embarrassed by his behavior. While we were leaving they were still arguing. And then my friend told me his buddy ended up punching him in the face outside the arena after the game.

So yea, this couple sucks and the guy Brandon? is the worst person I ever have sat with. A bunch of the workers there and other Devils fans know them and said they suck too. I hope to see them Saturday so I can mock them some more.

I had the misfortune of sitting with the Kinkaid couple during this game. I was sitting at the section 13 tables with them. He was sh!t faced. They told me and my brother that they were the kinkaid couple and were surprised we never heard of them. They told us to look them up on Twitter because they were trending. My brother told them he doesn't have twitter because he's an adult and has adult things to do. I don't have twitter either but i searched the hashtag on instagram and only saw 1 post. They kept going on about how they couldn't believe we didn't know who they are. So needless to say we hated them off the bat. The guy was showing us all his (retarded) devils tattoos to impress us I guess. He pretty much wouldn't shut up all game about his super-fandom. He wants Schneider to be traded because he's too good for the Devils, except Kinkaid is better. So logic is out the window on this one too.
During the second period he was trying to get a let's go devils chant but it wasnt working. Then he started calling everyone pansies for not chanting and directing his anger at two lesbians. So I boo'd him and told the crowd to boo him too. Which led to him calling me a pansy which I just laughed at. He asked why I wasn't chanting and I told him I don't want to which is when he called me a pansy too. I told him I don't have to do what he says because he's not my dad! He also was trying to tell me I was supposed to say lets go devils after he says it. I told him no I'm supposed to clap after you say lets go devils. He didn't get it because, you know, logic. And he kept going on and on about how the devils fans suck but he would never fight a devils fan because it was getting to that point with me. He was telling me about all the away games he goes to and asked if I was going to the Boston game and I said no because jobs exist and he shook his head as in "see i'm better than you because I'm going".  He was saying he lives in Florida and was showing us pics on his phone of him with Stamkos and other players. As if we cared. Then some other guy at the next table was done with him and set him straight. So the couple and their friends ended up standing at the next section over for the 3rd period. They ended up getting into an argument because she was embarrassed by his behavior. While we were leaving they were still arguing. And then my friend told me his buddy ended up punching him in the face outside the arena after the game.
So yea, this couple sucks and the guy Brandon? is the worst person I ever have sat with. A bunch of the workers there and other Devils fans know them and said they suck too. I hope to see them Saturday so I can mock them some more.

Why are they 'the Kinkaid couple'? Has Kinkaid heard of them? If so, he should go on record about what fvcking idiots they sound like. They honestly sound positively awful, I wanna punch this a$$hole in the face just from your story alone. Btw- does it seem like our fanbase has more groups of fans that seek attention and adoration from everyone? The idiot 'Crazies', the moron with the horn, these two cocktards? It seems there are several groups and individuals who just want to be 'celebrity' Devils fans. They all annoy me, and they all should get a fvcking life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Why are they 'the Kinkaid couple'? Has Kinkaid heard of them? If so, he should go on record about what fvcking idiots they sound like. They honestly sound positively awful, I wanna punch this a$$hole in the face just from your story alone. Btw- does it seem like our fanbase has more groups of fans that seek attention and adoration from everyone? The idiot 'Crazies', the moron with the horn, these two cocktards? It seems there are several groups and individuals who just want to be 'celebrity' Devils fans. They all annoy me, and they all should get a fvcking life.

Excuse me? Who do you think you are talking about like that!? Don't you know who they are!?  THEY'RE TRENDING!!!! How dare you degrade our model fans!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Besides having no time,  I gave up my season tickets because I couldn't take being around the idiots 30+ times a season.

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kinkaid has heard of them and apparently he doesn't like them, but puts up with them.  I have heard from multiple people that at his signing a year or so ago at Sports Minded, the guy in the Kinkaid couple refused to buy a ticket for an autograph.  The reason I heard was some convoluted reason that he is his biggest fans and always gets tons of autographs from him for free outside the arena and such and such.  He created a small scene before leaving and not paying.  I have also heard many people say he threatens people for not buying any of his stuff.  He is one of those people who stands outside after every game and gets autographs from the player and then goes home to flip it.  If you refuse to buy it then he starts with the name-calling.  I didn't believe it myself until I saw screenshots of conversations with him that showed this happening.

From what I understand neither are well off.  That's the reason why they moved to Florida.  Apparently when they lived up here he worked as a warehouse worker and not sure what she does, but I think she works at some sort of salon if I remember right.  Also from what I've heard they lived in a hotel for many months last year or this year before moving to Florida because one of them has family down there.  Basically they spend whatever money they have going to these games.  Shame is that she seems like a nice person but she just follows him around.

As for Celebrity fans, a buddy of mine and I have talked about that quite a bit over the last couple of years.  Seems as though there are fans out there that cannot live outside of through their Devils fandom.  I know every fanbase has some, but we seem to have a little more than normal.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah seriously, I can't stand the whole bunch of them and I made sure my seats are nowhere near them. The crazies were awful back at the Meadowlands but at least there were only a handful of them then , seems like that corner is completely filled with morons nowadays. 

1 hour ago, hystyk28 said:

Besides having no time,  I gave up my season tickets because I couldn't take being around the idiots 30+ times a season.

My section is fantastic, I only talk to my row and the row behind me but I've never had issues so far, not everyone is a season ticket holder but the ones who are very nice and very knowledgeable. 

If I had any issues i would have moved already. 

20 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Yeah, I'm only 26 but know what you mean... And yeah, I don't post too much here these days (still read every GDT for the most part) but I joined here in 2005. I was 15, lmao. Crazy to think about how time flies.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I left all of those Facebook groups a while ago... They were just too infuriating. I'm much happier now. 

There is just so much "Marty should be starting in 2014" and "trade corey, Kinkaid can start" and "Larsson is a bust" I can take in a day. 

I too left all those groups a very long time ago; the KK couple kept trying to add me, he even tried selling me autographed gear, and tried to play on my overseas following of the Devils.

The way all those groups carry on made me sick within 24 hours and removed myself very quickly.

I was at the top of 124 at the tables during the opener, we all saw the security guards but had no idea what was happening.

I just keep reading more and more about the KK couple and I just have to think, surely they have some sort of mental issues.

Edited by newjerseydamo