GDT Home Open Jamboree - Ducks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+/WFAN

thelastonealive

32 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Ugh who allowed Bradley Wright-Phillips to put 99 on his jersey? Guy is so far from being worthy of such a number.  

He's been an amazing player for the Red Bulls and he's the teams all time leading scorer, won the MLS golden boot award one year and might win it this year, I think the number suits him well. 

If you would've told me he Devils would be 1-1-1 after playing these three teams, two away, I'd be pretty happy. Obviously, Anaheim could be really bad because they hired one of the worst coaches available but they still have been a great team over the last five years. 

Another tough game vs. Boston away tomorrow!

Pretty solid game by a lot of people.  Quincey and Auvitu were real solid.  Hall did what we need him to do.  Use speed, forecheck, make plays, score.

Schneider was his dependable self.

Zajac and Henrique I thought got a little hapless and sloppy a few times in the offensive zone but still played relatively well.

Fiddler has impressed me a great deal in just a short while.  Just a solid smart veteran who gives the bottom line some smarts and reliability and fundamental play on the PK.

Heard a bunch of reports of fans acting like animals in the FB groups last night.  Glad I wasn't there.

Really impressed by Zacha and Auvitu's play last night.  Both looked great.

Hall scoring two goals was awesome.  Hope this opens the floodgates for him.

Zajac was very good as well.  Henrique was alright, but not great.

Palmieri didn't seem to get it going last night and saw Cammy skating around, but not generating a ton of good chances.

Bennett was a non-factor.  Hardly noticed him.

Boucher looked pretty good.

Severson looked very good last night.  Our second best D-man last night after Auvitu.

Parenteau looked slow and out of sync with everyone else.  DSP was only slightly better.

Thought JJ had a solid game.

13 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Heard a bunch of reports of fans acting like animals in the FB groups last night.  Glad I wasn't there.

What are the names of the groups? The only thing I noticed was a fight near 127.  I didn't see or hear anything else all night. I thought the crowd was great, very into the game and loud. 

What are the names of the groups? The only thing I noticed was a fight near 127.  I didn't see or hear anything else all night. I thought the crowd was great, very into the game and loud. 

Same, I didn't notice anything at all. Crowd was awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the crowd was pretty good for a home opener on a Tuesday. I didn't notice anything too messy going on besides the dope behind me in section 6 who insisted that "you should never trade defense for offense" and "Hall is a bum". I think I overheard this when #9 failed to convert down low on the 5v3 PP...and then promptly scored about 30 seconds later. I know it's been a long-standing topic of conversation here, and I (admittedly) have only visited a few other rinks for comparison, but we have some pretty dumb fans. Other than the Boucher call which I didn't get a second look at, I thought the refs were fine (and they called the Ducks for about 100 penalties) yet we chanted again and again how much they suck. I suppose as long as these casual fans are buying tickets and putting their butts in the seats I shouldn't complain but it's frustrating nonetheless.

As others have mentioned, Hall was fantastic. Could have easily scored two more goals last night after the feed from Bouch shorthanded and on the cycle play with Zacha. He's as dynamic as they come and I'm thrilled to have him.

Edited by NLinfante

1 minute ago, NLinfante said:

I thought the crowd was pretty good for a home opener on a Tuesday. I didn't notice anything too messy going on besides the dope behind me in section 6 who insisted that "you should never trade defense for offense" and "Hall is a bum". I think I overheard this when #9 failed to convert down low on the 5v3 PP...and then promptly scored about 30 seconds later. I know it's been a long-standing topic of conversation here, and I (admittedly) have only visited a few other rinks for comparison, but we have some pretty dumb fans. Other than the Boucher call which I didn't get a second look at, I though the refs were fine and they called the Ducks for about 100 penalties, yet we chanted again and again how much they suck. I suppose as long as these casual fans are buying tickets and putting their butts in the seats I shouldn't complain but it's frustrating nonetheless.

As others have mentioned, Hall was fantastic. Could have easily scored two more goals last night after the feed from Bouch shorthanded and on the cycle play with Zacha. He's as dynamic as they come and I'm thrilled to have him.

Opening night attracts a certain quality of Jersey cretin

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Devils All Day All Night is the big one.

Heard the following:

1) Fight in section 127/128 area.  Apparently a fan decided that the best way to respond to security asking him to move was to try to punch one of them in the face.

2) Obnoxious fan sitting at one of the tables behind the lower level sections behind Devils defend twice.  Apparently she was with a couple of kids and they were embarrassed by her behavior which included trying to goad other fans into fighting them and screaming at them all game.

3) Fan in sec 124 vomiting all over his seat and surrounding seats

4) Someone from the middle tier throwing a bottle towards the ice at the end of the game.  Bottle instead hit the net so it dropped and hit someone in the head apparently.

5) Fight outside after the game between the Kinkaid couple (don't ask, long story as to who they are) and a bunch of other fans leading to cops coming to break it up.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Heard the following:

1) Fight in section 127/128 area.  Apparently a fan decided that the best way to respond to security asking him to move was to try to punch one of them in the face.

2) Obnoxious fan sitting at one of the tables behind the lower level sections behind Devils defend twice.  Apparently she was with a couple of kids and they were embarrassed by her behavior which included trying to goad other fans into fighting them and screaming at them all game.

4) Someone from the middle tier throwing a bottle towards the ice at the end of the game.  Bottle instead hit the net so it dropped and hit someone in the head apparently.

5) Fight outside after the game between the Kinkaid couple (don't ask, long story as to who they are) and a bunch of other fans leading to cops coming to break it up.

Actually I did see number 4, I forgot about that. It hit the net and fell down, didn't see who threw it though. 

And lol at #5, that sounds like a bad reality show. 

55 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I see them quite often at the games and I need to know their story now.  Do tell.

1 hour ago, NLinfante said:

I thought the crowd was pretty good for a home opener on a Tuesday. I didn't notice anything too messy going on besides the dope behind me in section 6 who insisted that "you should never trade defense for offense" and "Hall is a bum".

I don't understand what it is about our fanbase that makes so many of our fans cynical about big-time players. Heard some of that sh!t during the preseason, fans almost deriding Taylor Hall with those little prick-job comments like, "Time to earn that paycheck, Taylor!" and "Better backcheck, Hall, we play defense in New Jersey!"... Those are our FANS... Embarrassing.

14 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I don't understand what it is about our fanbase that makes so many of our fans cynical about big-time players. Heard some of that sh!t during the preseason, fans almost deriding Taylor Hall with those little prick-job comments like, "Time to earn that paycheck, Taylor!" and "Better backcheck, Hall, we play defense in New Jersey!"... Those are our FANS... Embarrassing.

Glad I didn't hear any of that near me but I sit near a great group of people. 

I've seen tonssss of Hall jerseys and player t-shirts already being worn already so can't let the minority of idiots ruin anything. I'm sure every fanbase has them. 

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Glad I didn't hear any of that near me but I sit near a great group of people. 

I've seen tonssss of Hall jerseys and player t-shirts already being worn already so can't let the minority of idiots ruin anything. I'm sure every fanbase has them. 

True.. And interesting you say that, yeah, in 119, I sit near a great group of regulars over the years.

I guess it's no coincidence that I only heard those d-bags during preseason when I was sitting in the lower bowl haha.. It brought me back to the Kovalchuk days though, where it took 2 years for him to stop getting people to boo him.

• Like 1

We have A LOT of stupid, low hockey IQ fans. Too many. It's annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have a unique perspective as both a Rutgers and Devils fan (ie, I get double exposure to NJ fans with a light sprinkle of NY mixed in) but I can say, with confidence, that generally speaking New Jersey sports fans might be some of the more arrogant and yet least knowledgeable fans I've ever dealt with.

I know this feeds right into the whole "NJ fans love to trash each other" thing, but I cannot tell you how many times I've experienced jaw-dropping stupidity in person, at the Rock and at High Point Solutions Stadium, and online on various forums.

I'm sure every fanbase has its morons.  But it sure seems like we have a whole lot of them.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I might have a unique perspective as both a Rutgers and Devils fan (ie, I get double exposure to NJ fans with a light sprinkle of NY mixed in) but I can say, with confidence, that generally speaking New Jersey sports fans might be some of the more arrogant and yet least knowledgeable fans I've ever dealt with.

I know this feeds right into the whole "NJ fans love to trash each other" thing, but I cannot tell you how many times I've experienced jaw-dropping stupidity in person, at the Rock and at High Point Solutions Stadium, and online on various forums.

I'm sure every fanbase has its morons.  But it sure seems like we have a whole lot of them.

Last night was particularly brutal. A lot of Devils fan being obnoxious and it is evident they have no clue what is going on. Can't count how many times the same people repeated "shoot the puck" and "hit somebody" last night.

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Sorta sour on P.A. Parenteau. Just because we want him to be Stempniak 2.0 doesn't mean he isn't Ryder 2.0. Would love to see Boucher get some time in a top-6 role.

He was nowhere near as impressive last night as he was in the first two games. In the first two, he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time, making smart minded hockey plays. Not so much last night. 

Re: Fans:  I don't have a FB acct. so I haven't reported this online to anyone, but in 211, sect. next to mine, a couple of people didn't stand for the anthem.  I didn't see who but a shouting match ensued for at the first period and a half. Mostly though, found the fans great, rowdy and not excessive with the whistlers. Wish we could've gotten the "Kill" chant going a little better, sans horn. But all those years we yelled defense while killing penalties, and didn't need one. Really though no complaints. Also love the Pru Center workers always rowdying up the fans when going down the escalator & exiting after a win. Great night and a big W!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Heard the following:

So after reading  some of that Facebook group and never seeing or dealing with any of these people before I now understand why you post the way you do about our fans sometimes lol

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I always knew there were some real dummies among us...but when some of them insisted that Marty should be playing over Cory, because Marty "knows how to win"...that's when it clicked for me that for far too many, there really is absolutely no hope at all.

I think it's pretty naïve to believe that only we have idiots in our fan base (or that we have more). Obviously, spending so much time digesting Devils news, links, and comments exposes us to some true intellectuals, but we spend far less time looking at other teams. Every fan base in every sport has morons and unfortunately they are typically louder than the rest. As far as people yelling "SHOOT!" ... having been to plenty of other buildings in the league as a neutral fan at games not involving the Devils, I can assure you there are people screaming that at every game. Hard to get too worked up over that.

In regards to Facebook groups... "DEVILS ALL DAY ALL NIGHT" has to be the worst thing on facebook. They're the ones that hang outside 124 during intermissions and chant rangers suck on the concourse, it's like they're just sh!tposting IRL. Moving away from that section to 116 was the best move I have made so far as a STH.

Anyway, I thought the crowd was pretty awesome, but I sit in the front row of my section with no one in front of me but the lower level so I'll admit I was not exactly paying attention to what people were doing in the stands, but it was decently packed and pretty loud so... really fun first game.