Cammalleri

BostonNala370

I think he has earned (bad word) a separate thread regarding his performance to date after 6 games . 

He has had lots of rest. He has had lots of time to rehab. 

He looks lost at times on the ice. He gets knocked off the puck 90% of the time. His passes are a miss most of the time.  He is less effective than most of the younger players.

6 games 2 assists he has 15 shots (second to Hall) on goal and nothing to show for it. He is playing on 3rd line making $5M.

What gets him started?

I know that logic dictates that if he keeps taking shots, goals will come and other good things will happen. but i agree that he has not looked good to the eye test. i said everything you did in the GDT but there is certainly a cause for concern. with that being said, the devils are rolling 3 lines and the 4th is still getting decent time. if hall remains consistent, the rest of the team can take turns joining in.

Cammalleri is still one of our best forwards and hes still one of our only forwards who can create time and space for his linemates. He is still making those brilliant elusive plays in the offensive and neutral zones, he's fine, a little rusty but the assists and goals will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With his contract (almost untradeable unless you take a shaky one back) and his injury history, all you can do is hope he's not in for a crappy (or unlucky) year.  Agree with those who say that he's not passing the eye-test early on.  It's never a great sign when 15 SOG in 6 games feels very surprising.  Even the better numbers he's put up so far don't feel as good as they look.  

9 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Cammalleri is still one of our best forwards and hes still one of our only forwards who can create time and space for his linemates. He is still making those brilliant elusive plays in the offensive and neutral zones, he's fine, a little rusty but the assists and goals will come.

Wow we have a completely different view of him, I see a guy trying way to hard, always trying to make the amazing play instead of making the easy play, he holds and then loses the puck way too much and often in bad places, he frustrated me, but I think we need to give him more time, 6 games is not enough time to see if he can get back to himself...

Edited by redruM

19 minutes ago, redruM said:

Wow we have a completely different view of him, I see a guy trying way to hard, always trying to make the amazing play instead of making the easy play, he holds and then loses the puck way too much and often in bad places, he frustrated me, but I think we need to give him more time, 6 games is not enough time to see if he can get back to himself...

me too!  he looks more like a too too type out there than a sniper.. looks very scrapey.  he's a sniper and will find the open corners of the net.  he just hasn't gotten his hands free.  put him at the point a few times on the first PP to get him going

I thought he looked OK last night.  There was one cross-ice pass that he could've and probably should've buried last night but he kinda flubbed the shot..

I thought in the first few games he looked lazy and disinterested, but the effort was definitely there last night.  So maybe the goals and points will come.

Really this can be said about any of our forwards other than Hall, they all need to pick it up. I know Camm will have more scrutiny since he's expected to find the back of the net and is an injury concern, but imo its a bit unfair to single him out when guys like palmieri, henrique, zajac etc. have been equally poor. 

I think you can also chalk part of it up to hall taking alot of prime LW icetime. Last year camm's line would have been out there for a big offensive zone draw, now its hall. Camm's PP time is also down compared to last year.

also it's only 6 games, if he still looks this way in 3 weeks then we can talk about this a bit more seriously.

22 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

Really this can be said about any of our forwards other than Hall, they all need to pick it up. I know Camm will have more scrutiny since he's expected to find the back of the net and is an injury concern, but imo its a bit unfair to single him out when guys like palmieri, henrique, zajac etc. have been equally poor. 

I think you can also chalk part of it up to hall taking alot of prime LW icetime. Last year camm's line would have been out there for a big offensive zone draw, now its hall. Camm's PP time is also down compared to last year.

also it's only 6 games, if he still looks this way in 3 weeks then we can talk about this a bit more seriously.

Wow I am surprised. Zajac has played in 6 games has 3 goals  and 2 assists.with 13 SOG. Henrique is struggling but not as bad as Cammy 2 goals 9 SOG. Palmieri is improving with 2 goals and 1 assist 13 SOG. They don't look lost like Cammy. Agree let's wait and see but not 3 weeks how about 3 games or does he get a free ride at $5 M with all that rest

15 SOG in 6 games isn't cause for concern, that's not a bad rate in my estimation if he keeps the pace up.  Maybe playing on a third line with reduce the chance of being injured.  Throw him on a line with Bennet or Smith Pelley and see how he does.  I honestly feel like I haven't seen him at all.  He was at least noticeable in the game against Phoenix.  

18 hours ago, BostonNala370 said:

Wow I am surprised. Zajac has played in 6 games has 3 goals  and 2 assists.with 13 SOG. Henrique is struggling but not as bad as Cammy 2 goals 9 SOG. Palmieri is improving with 2 goals and 1 assist 13 SOG. They don't look lost like Cammy. Agree let's wait and see but not 3 weeks how about 3 games or does he get a free ride at $5 M with all that rest

this is a case of looking at the stats and not the actual performance.

Zajac- of his 2 goals against the coyotes, the PP was such a weak shot that luckily slipped through the 5 hole. Any other NHL goaltender but Peters makes that stop. Never mind that the PP he scored on was a complete phantom call. The other goal was an empty net. Yes, give him credit for taking advantage of the opportunities but I'm not ready to claim that hes an offensive threat.

Henrique- there's a reason he was pulled off of Hall's line so quickly, he was terrible in the first few games, has looked a bit better but his only goal is a fluke deflection off his skate.

Palmieri- 2 goals one of which was a lucky deflection off the defender's skate, otherwise the shot was 2 feet wide of the net.

Again I'm not worried and I have confidence that these guys will all come around, but they're supposed to be our 3rd, 4th and 5th best forwards and they have a combined 3 even strength goals in 6 games. There's a reason the forward lines have been shuffled so much, it's because nobody outside of Hall is performing at ES. To single out Cammy is unfair IMO, that's all I'm saying.

I'm not too worried right now; it's only 6 games, the shots are there, etc. 

For what it's worth, compared to last season, he's seeing about 3 minutes less time on ice per game at even strength and about 30 seconds less of time on ice per game on the powerplay. I'm sure it doesn't help that the Hynes has shuffled the lines a gazillion times, either.

You guys are delusional. He was one of the better forwards these last few games and could have had a handful of goals. He's finally shaken off the rust and is creating a lot on the ice. He's been good lately and the goals and points will come.

28 minutes ago, Zubie#8 said:

You guys are delusional. He was one of the better forwards these last few games and could have had a handful of goals. He's finally shaken off the rust and is creating a lot on the ice. He's been good lately and the goals and points will come.

Agreed. Guy had an assist, was a plus 2, and had a team leading 3 shots last night. It was probably his best game so far, but because he didn't score on a breakaway people are complaining?

I agree he hasn't looked his best this season so far, but I think his "struggles" might be a bit overblown right now. 

2 hours ago, njd3b1ink said:

Agreed. Guy had an assist, was a plus 2, and had a team leading 3 shots last night. It was probably his best game so far, but because he didn't score on a breakaway people are complaining?

I agree he hasn't looked his best this season so far, but I think his "struggles" might be a bit overblown right now. 

No more Marty, Salvador, or Gionta. NJDevs needed a new bad guy. 

The past couple games I actually think Cammy has played very well, it seems like for whatever his reason all his mistakes are being extrapolated and when he makes a nice play it's ignored. The points are going to come for him, I like the Cammy - Rico - Palmieri line they had last night, could see that line being very good and potting a few goals over the next few games if they keep it together.

4 hours ago, njd3b1ink said:

Yeah it's only been a couple games. He'll either be fine or on the disabled list in short order.