Sign in to follow this  
Triumph

Best quote I've read about the Devils' previous season

I keep forgetting to post this here, but Hynes snuck something in during his Monday interview with Andrew Gross where he was discussing the young players the Devils have used this year.  He discussed his strategy from last season (which produced a ridiculously low number of even strength shots):

"Last year maybe we didn’t necessarily play as much of the style that we wanted to play but we tried to find ways to win games and manage the group that we had and do those things and now this progression, guys like Blake and some of the younger guys coming up through ..."

It's the first acknowledgement I've seen that his strategy may have changed for this season (and for the future).  That's a great sign - both that he acknowledged last year's team's shortcomings and tried to play a system that might limit those and that he's aware that things have changed and so his system should change as well.

That's the way I looked at it last season.  He made do the best he could with the hand he was dealt in an attempt to win as many games as possible.  He didn't try to force a square peg in a round hole.  I've been nothing but impressed with him during his stint here.  Love the direction the team is heading.

it's clear the devils are attempting more shots this year so both the players and strategy have changed - i agree - all for the good

There was a lot of luck involved last season (especially earlier on, when the Devils were somehow 29-21-7), but yeah, gotta like the fact that he does what he can to adapt to what he has.  Not sure how much more could possibly have been squeezed out of last season's team.  

Running a new system, even if similar, combined with a roster that is almost half new players may explain some of the sloppiness and confusion the Devils have shown at times. 

I know common sense tells us the Devils' d is much worse w.o Larsson because he was our best or second best dman, but check this out: 

Devils have given up the lowest percentage of high danger scoring chances in the league

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

I know common sense tells us the Devils' d is much worse w.o Larsson because he was our best or second best dman, but check this out: 

Devils have given up the lowest percentage of high danger scoring chances in the league

That is an awesome sign.  The PK is shaping up to have an amazing year too.

The question is how sustainable is that? I'm mildly concerned that the Devils give up the most medium danger shots by a fair margin, and also that the % of shots that are low danger are the lowest in the league. Personally I'd take a few more HD chances against if you could also cut down the medium chances. This is often what we see from creative, "risky" dmen. There's a trade off but in the long term it's usually worth it.

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

The question is how sustainable is that? I'm mildly concerned that the Devils give up the most medium danger shots by a fair margin, and also that the % of shots that are low danger are the lowest in the league. Personally I'd take a few more HD chances against if you could also cut down the medium chances. This is often what we see from creative, "risky" dmen. There's a trade off but in the long term it's usually worth it.

I'll disagree - I guess it depends on how a HD chance is defined vs a MD chance but with one of the best goaltenders in the world back there I'll take our chances with the MD shots.

In my mind I'm defining a high danger scoring chance as a tap-in (more or less), whereas a medium danger chance is a situation where the goalie has to make a difficult save.

35 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'll disagree - I guess it depends on how a HD chance is defined vs a MD chance but with one of the best goaltenders in the world back there I'll take our chances with the MD shots.

In my mind I'm defining a high danger scoring chance as a tap-in (more or less), whereas a medium danger chance is a situation where the goalie has to make a difficult save.

Fairly sure Corsica uses WoI's definition.

rCF0TWgl.png

In the long run I'll take an uptick in HD scoring chances but a downtick in total scoring chances (HD+MD). I haven't looked closely at this but I have a feeling NJ's distribution doesn't match up well with teams we consider really good teams. And then there's the offensive side of the puck to consider, but that's a whole 'nother thing.

17 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Fairly sure Corsica uses WoI's definition.

rCF0TWgl.png

In the long run I'll take an uptick in HD scoring chances but a downtick in total scoring chances (HD+MD). I haven't looked closely at this but I have a feeling NJ's distribution doesn't match up well with teams we consider really good teams. And then there's the offensive side of the puck to consider, but that's a whole 'nother thing.

Yeah I think the bottom line is 7 games is just too small of a sample for any serious statistical insight.

To my eyes the main problem with the D is just too many turnovers trying to transition out of the zone, easy outlet passes missed, etc. Those were Larsson's strength, and those are the things that actually hurt our offense (which, if we are trying to gain insight after 7 games, is still the worst in the league)

There's something about how our team defense is structured this year that is really improved. All 4 lines are really hustling on both sides of the puck. Guys like Henrique and Zajac have always been that type of player, but I see guys like Zacha, Hall, and Fiddler leading the charge in that as well, and the rest are following their lead; aggressive forecheck and dogged work on the backcheck.

Maybe our defense isn't as strong as previous years, but the way the rest of the team is playing is making their job a tiny bit easier. I've seen Zacha and Hall in many instances sprint back to defend behind our net before our defensemen can even get there; stuff like that.

Edited by DJ Eco

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

what are teams shooting % against us?

At 5v5, 6.2%. Of course, Devils are shooting 4.14% so it's not like the team as a whole has been lucky, you'd expect both to move a bit more towards normal going forward.