GDT - Tampa Bay Lightning @ YOUR New Jersey Devils - 7 PM, MSG+/WFAN

thelastonealive

Didn't think the crowd was that 'dead', but I do agree if the YS crowd put half their effort into LGD, it'd be a lot louder. They're the embarassment.

And I think the arena did a nice job with the Halloween theme.  

Loved Rico's goal and Lappins centering pass assist to DSP. Solid 60 mins all around.

Brought my dad to this one and was so stoked to see a W- and an exciting one for sure. I won't say anything about the game that you guys definitely saw on tv, I'll just comment on the arena atmosphere

I enjoyed every part of the atmosphere except the same thing I've always had a problem with.

the "Rangers suck, flyers swallow" chant is the single most embarrassing chat in sports. I cannot believe these ppl think they are being edgy or insulting using the same terms I used in the 6th grade. I was sitting directly behind two guys who gave me serious second-hand embarrassment 

so pathetic 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Onddeck said:

Brought my dad to this one and was so stoked to see a W- and an exciting one for sure. I won't say anything about the game that you guys definitely saw on tv, I'll just comment on the arena atmosphere

I enjoyed every part of the atmosphere except the same thing I've always had a problem with.

the "Rangers suck, flyers swallow" chant is the single most embarrassing chat in sports. I cannot believe these ppl think they are being edgy or insulting using the same terms I used in the 6th grade. I was sitting directly behind two guys who gave me serious second-hand embarrassment 

so pathetic 

Not sure where you were sitting, but where I was, someone started up the whistling, the "Rangers suck" part had some involvement (but not a ton), and I would say the "Flyers swallow" part had almost none...you could actually make out individual voices.  Feels like that one might not ever fully die, but it's definitely not getting any stronger. 

8 hours ago, Onddeck said:

so pathetic 

Yes and kid behind me adds on "and Tortorolla sucks"  it is embarassing 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And it's usually accompanied afterwards with a stupid grin like they accomplished something witty, which they haven't. 

100% in favor of Rangers suck, that's your main rival, but adding the Flyers part is stupid. 

I am also in favor of either never hearing that chant again.  Especially when it is done when we are playing neither the Rangers or Flyers which is 98% of the time.

And it's usually accompanied afterwards with a stupid grin like they accomplished something witty, which they haven't. 
100% in favor of Rangers suck, that's your main rival, but adding the Flyers part is stupid. 

I gotta say, I was at opening night and surprisingly enough, I only heard the RS FS chant once the whole night. You'd usually hear it like three or four times a game, but I was encouraged only hearing it the one time that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not bothered by the Rangers Suck part as much as I am the Flyers Swallow part. Saying something sucks is pretty standard at a sporting event but the swallow part takes it to a different, sexual, level that will make kids ask unnecessary questions. 

It's classless and it makes us look like lesser people.

Back to the game, it's gotta be a little relieving to Hall to see that the team can still win if he doesn't put up any points. 

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

I guess if you had to try to explain the swallow part to a kid you can try to say they're saying "Flyers Wallow" and that they're just dragging the S. The Flyers are wallowing in the fact that the Rangers suck. Or for the alternative definition of wallow the Flyers are rolling around the ice on their backs.

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure where you were sitting, but where I was, someone started up the whistling, the "Rangers suck" part had some involvement (but not a ton), and I would say the "Flyers swallow" part had almost none...you could actually make out individual voices.  Feels like that one might not ever fully die, but it's definitely not getting any stronger. 

ehh.. but the guys in front of me followed it up with ".. Crosby watches!"  so i was afraid it was even growing lol

i couldnt do anything besides try and drown them out with a well-timed "LETS GO DEVILS" and then shake my head

17 hours ago, Onddeck said:

ehh.. but the guys in front of me followed it up with ".. Crosby watches!"  so i was afraid it was even growing lol

i couldnt do anything besides try and drown them out with a well-timed "LETS GO DEVILS" and then shake my head

I usually don't care what people chant when they are at the game.  But there are a group of guys in Section 123 that have the chant go on for a minute with all the add ons.  The RS, FS part is bad enough, but then they go into "Crosby watches, Avery gives a reach around, and Kane's a rapist, both of them."  It's ridiculous and embarrassing, but funny to see how they laugh and high five each other after they do it like it was some great accomplishment.  This is the same group that says "Cory...NO!!" every time he touches the puck.  Thank god he doesn't play it like Brodeur, otherwise I'd kill myself.  It was really funny the first time they did it a few years ago.  But doing it 4 times a period, it's no longer funny to anyone but this group. 

29 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I usually don't care what people chant when they are at the game.  But there are a group of guys in Section 123 that have the chant go on for a minute with all the add ons.  The RS, FS part is bad enough, but then they go into "Crosby watches, Avery gives a reach around, and Kane's a rapist, both of them."  It's ridiculous and embarrassing, but funny to see how they laugh and high five each other after they do it like it was some great accomplishment.  This is the same group that says "Cory...NO!!" every time he touches the puck.  Thank god he doesn't play it like Brodeur, otherwise I'd kill myself.  It was really funny the first time they did it a few years ago.  But doing it 4 times a period, it's no longer funny to anyone but this group. 

That entire group including the Stabley Cap moron can go fvck themselves.  Trolling our franchise goaltender with "CORY NO!!" is so fvcking lame I can't even comprehend it. The "HOW MUCH TIME'S LEFT?" (Last minute of play in the period) "THAAAAANK YOUUUUUUU" is so fvcking cringeworthy that it makes me want to vomit.

Also can we all revel in the hilarity of how stupid this one in particular was... so we beat the Coyotes and the 3 stars are taking place. Zajac is the first star and he's about to do his MSG interview with Deb. These fvcking idiots are in 123, about three whole rows of them, are there chanting "HEYYYYYY YOU SUCK!" The Coyotes at this point are probably half way to being dressed in civvies and the only person on the ice is Travis Zajac, but these fvckheads are screaming you suck at him because they care more about an asinine chant than they do about the team. They then top this off by chanting it all the way out the building and all I can think about is the O' Doyle family going flying off the cliff.

• Like 2

Nothing like high fiving over the same cup of self righteous you guys have after every home game. If there's anything more pathetic than a bunch of drunk idiots yelling "Flyers swallow", it's you guys spending multiple days following games you attended and the entire summer crusading against things you don't like. Just don't do the damn chants and shut up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Nothing like high fiving over the same cup of self righteous you guys have after every home game. If there's anything more pathetic than a bunch of drunk idiots yelling "Flyers swallow", it's you guys spending multiple days following games you attended and the entire summer crusading against things you don't like. Just don't do the damn chants and shut up.

eat a snickers man

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's nice that you think discussing game day atmosphere is "pathetic" but I don't think it's unreasonable that people will want to bullsh!t about it during a time where our last game was on Saturday and our next game isn't until Thursday.

1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

That entire group including the Stabley Cap moron can go fvck themselves.  Trolling our franchise goaltender with "CORY NO!!" is so fvcking lame I can't even comprehend it. The "HOW MUCH TIME'S LEFT?" (Last minute of play in the period) "THAAAAANK YOUUUUUUU" is so fvcking cringeworthy that it makes me want to vomit.

Also can we all revel in the hilarity of how stupid this one in particular was... so we beat the Coyotes and the 3 stars are taking place. Zajac is the first star and he's about to do his MSG interview with Deb. These fvcking idiots are in 123, about three whole rows of them, are there chanting "HEYYYYYY YOU SUCK!" The Coyotes at this point are probably half way to being dressed in civvies and the only person on the ice is Travis Zajac, but these fvckheads are screaming you suck at him because they care more about an asinine chant than they do about the team. They then top this off by chanting it all the way out the building and all I can think about is the O' Doyle family going flying off the cliff.

Hate that Stabley cup guy/group.

Honestly, just hate that entire defend twice balcony area.  I pay more money to sit as far away as possible for the past season or two.

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I don't see how wanting to class up the environment of a game is pathetic. We look like the biggest jerkoff fans in the league when you hear that crap over the broadcast. For fvcks sake Flyers fans are classier than us and that says a lot.

12 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that everyone hates everything, and everything's bad and we should feel bad

You've got me posting about how much my daughter loves going to games and how I met two cool newbies, Tri posting about how he's had more fun watching the games than he's had in years, and others saying they enjoyed the game (and the season thus far, warts and all).  It ain't all bad. 

But yeah, there's clearly a divide right now among the fanbase.  There's some new "traditions" (not the best word) that clearly don't jibe with everyone.  And there will be some debating as long as this stuff continues.  I think what you're seeing this year is that some fans have just really had enough, and have reached their tipping point. 

I have to admit, on some level, I find the "new" YS chant (post goal-song version) kind of funny in some odd way...mostly because through management's deliberate goal of trying to stop it, all they've done is everything in their power to galvanize more than enough fans to ensure that it will live on no matter what they do...and though I'm completely neutral on the existence of YS in any form (and don't partake in it or endorse it), there's a part of me that sort of likes seeing a bunch of corporate "We'll show those fans who's REALLY boss" dweebs lose a battle like that.  And like Tri and others have pointed out, at least it makes a bit more sense now that it's not happening immediately after a goal (though it's also chanted during the goal song, less noticeably).  There's a part of me that would just love to see the look on those guys' faces, who thought it was going to be as easy as screwing with the goal songs...every time they hear YS they must think "OK, what do we do now?!"

But on a more positive note, I am very happy with this ownership, the direction of the team, with Shero, and with the attempts to give the franchise a different vibe.  I've checked the calendar for upcoming Friday and Saturday night games (so my daughter can join me) more since this season started than I have in years.  That really says it all.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2016 at 11:47 AM, Jerzey said:

I guess if you had to try to explain the swallow part to a kid you can try to say they're saying "Flyers Wallow" and that they're just dragging the S. The Flyers are wallowing in the fact that the Rangers suck. Or for the alternative definition of wallow the Flyers are rolling around the ice on their backs.

From this point on, the chant is now "Rangers Suck, Flyers Wallow!" Anything else is wrong and the perpetrator shall be punished with a series of Shame chants.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You've got me posting about how much my daughter loves going to games and how I met two cool newbies, Tri posting about how he's had more fun watching the games than he's had in years, and others saying they enjoyed the game (and the season thus far, warts and all).  It ain't all bad. 

But yeah, there's clearly a divide right now among the fanbase.  There's some new "traditions" (not the best word) that clearly don't jibe with everyone.  And there will be some debating as long as this stuff continues.  I think what you're seeing this year is that some fans have just really had enough, and have reached their tipping point. 

I have to admit, on some level, I find the "new" YS chant (post goal-song version) kind of funny in some odd way...mostly because through management's deliberate goal of trying to stop it, all they've done is everything in their power to galvanize more than enough fans to ensure that it will live on no matter what they do...and though I'm completely neutral on the existence of YS in any form (and don't partake in it or endorse it), there's a part of me that sort of likes seeing a bunch of corporate "We'll show those fans who's REALLY boss" dweebs lose a battle like that.  And like Tri and others have pointed out, at least it makes a bit more sense now that it's not happening immediately after a goal (though it's also chanted during the goal song, less noticeably).  There's a part of me that would just love to see the look on those guys' faces, who thought it was going to be as easy as screwing with the goal songs...every time they hear YS they must think "OK, what do we do now?!"

But on a more positive note, I am very happy with this ownership, the direction of the team, with Shero, and with the attempts to give the franchise a different vibe.  I've checked the calendar for upcoming Friday and Saturday night games (so my daughter can join me) more since this season started than I have in years.  That really says it all.

I should clarify that, as annoying as those guys are, that's all they are: annoying. I love the way the team is playing, I love what Shero is doing, and I am 100% on board with what ownership has been doing. Additionally, I don't even mind the people doing 'you suck' after a goal, I just can't for the life of me understand why people are chanting it while Zajac is giving a postgame interview.

Anyhow, like I said. sh!t like that is just annoying, nothing more. I'm having more fun this year watching the team than any other season since 2012, and I still love going to the games. It feels good to be able to root for wins. Hopefully it keeps up.

• Like 2