Game Day Poster - Collection

hasunow

Haven't seen much about these posted here so I thought I'd get it started. As I'm sure most of you know the Devils started doing game day posters for each of the 41 home games. Some are related to the opponent, some to a special event, etc.. Each game day poster is a limited edition run of 300 and are sold exclusively at the arena during their respective game for $5 each. Each poster has the date, (usually the) opponent, any special event going on that night and home game number (listed at the bottom). They are 18x24 digital prints and the marketing team has specifically been commissioning NJ based artists to do them (except for the first poster which was done by the guy who did the CBJ posters which started this game day poster concept/trend last year). I think it's a great campaign and a cool way to commemorate a trip to a game in the same vein as venue specific "gig poster" at any concert or live event. Now I know these aren't for everyone and you're asking yourself "Whose gonna collect all of these things?! That's like an extra $205 the NJD are getting out of me on top of the huge amount they already get from me?!". You may not dig the art or the poster concept in general and some probably think it's dumb or a waste of time, resources and money but it's just another way for the fans to have fun and be involved. The simple answer is, you can just ignore it :D The idea of a limited edition gig poster (or any item really) has been around long before this and will be around long after so there's nothing wrong with the NJD giving it a shot. Besides, when's the last time you were ever at any major sporting, concert or any type of live event where you could get a memento like this for $5 or under? Just thought I'd share the posters released thus far that some artists have worked very hard on. I grabbed these off the official NJD's Twitter. Sorry for the crappy image quality. Feel free to update this thread with any new ones as they get released (they usually release them before the start of every home game on the NJD Twitter account).

Full disclosure: Pending artwork approval, I will be participating in said poster campaign. Please don't ask to see any artwork or concepts as I can't reveal details or artwork. I'm also in no way being told to promote this here (or anywhere) or getting anything extra out of it. I just wanted to share what I thought was a cool thing.

njd01.jpg

njd02.jpg

njd03.jpg

njd04.jpg

njd05.jpg

Edited by hasunow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You say "artists"... from my understanding, these are all being done by the same artist who became internet-famous on Reddit last year for doing them for the Blue jackets. Do you know something we don't? 

Yes.

I personally know the artist who did the Arizona game. And just look at the signatures on the bottom left of each poster. They are different. There's a few repeats but I know for a fact they are not all done by the same guy. And the guy who did them for CBJ worked in their graphic design dept and did them on his own which then found their way to Reddit.

Edited by hasunow

Nice job with the scans.  I'm curious about the print run though.  Opening night's sold out FAST and yet STH can redeem points for one.  So, did they sell all 300 and have more printed after the fact or did they hold on to some of the 300 for the points redemption?

29 minutes ago, miket424 said:

Nice job with the scans.  I'm curious about the print run though.  Opening night's sold out FAST and yet STH can redeem points for one.  So, did they sell all 300 and have more printed after the fact or did they hold on to some of the 300 for the points redemption?

I'm not really sure on that one. I just know they told me they were doing runs of 300. Maybe they did more for the home opener for that exact reason? Or maybe they did hold back some from the run of 300 on opening night? I mean the poster thing debuted that night (with not much fanfare) so there might've been very little knowledge of them or demand for them leaving a bunch leftover?

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

i certainly appreciate the effort. i have the one from the home opener. I would love to have them all digitally so that I could actually get them in post card size to make something for the entire season.

I can mention something like a digital download of the posters to the NJD reps I'm in touch with the next time I speak with them.

The guy from Columbus who's now with NJ, Anthony Zych, has said he's doing 14-15 of them over the course of the year, and that it's a team effort, so other artists are getting involved as well.

i was a huge fan of the concept last year, so naturally I'm loving that we've got it going here this year.

I've got two of them now (opening night and the Lightning game) with a third (Coyotes) on the way, and am really interested in putting together a full collection, even though I know full well I won't be able to get to even close to all of the games. If anyone's willing to pick up an extra at games you go to, I'll be glad to pay you back for them and/or pick up extras when I go in order to trade. 

FYI, they look great framed. I doubt I'll frame them all but I picked up a cheap poster frame from target for like $7 for the two I have and they look great in my apartment.

I only bought the first two and doubt I buy anymore. If you're actually collecting  all of them what the hell are ya gonna do with them all? 41 is a huge amount to frame and hang. 

You'd pretty much need to own either a HUGE den or basement or a sports bar for all 41 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I only bought the first two and doubt I buy anymore. If you're actually collecting  all of them what the hell are ya gonna do with them all? 41 is a huge amount to frame and hang. 

My apartment's walls have been mostly bare since moving in here last year...with some maneuvering I could make it work.

Doubt I'll really frame them all (or even get them all at this rate, only have 3/5 pending a trade for the coyotes game one. Still, would love to have em all eventually. It's cheap enough to make it worth trying to collect. 

I'd probably buy the one for the games I atttnd, but I honestly wouldn't want to carry a poster around all night while I attended the game. If it was on the way out, I would.

Though my daughter already told me she wants the one from 11/8 when we go, so I'll be the guy with the girl in matching Tootoo jerseys carrying around a poster all night. 

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

You'd pretty much need to own either a HUGE den or basement or a sports bar for all 41 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, thelastonealive said:

My apartment's walls have been mostly bare since moving in here last year...with some maneuvering I could make it work.

Doubt I'll really frame them all (or even get them all at this rate, only have 3/5 pending a trade for the coyotes game one. Still, would love to have em all eventually. It's cheap enough to make it worth trying to collect. 

I think maybe cause I'm a bit older now or simply because I have so much Devils stuff in boxes from all my years of going that I dont feel like I need to have everything anymore. I use to buy the programs when they were selling them every game and I stopped doing that around 08 because I have so many it's ridiculous. Nowadays I rarely buy anything except for a pin/puck of the playoff series, which I haven't had to worry about in a long time either lol

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I think maybe cause I'm a bit older now or simply because I have so much Devils stuff in boxes from all my years of going that I dont feel like I need to have everything anymore. I use to buy the programs when they were selling them every game and I stopped doing that around 08 because I have so many it's ridiculous. Nowadays I rarely buy anything except for a pin/puck of the playoff series, which I haven't had to worry about in a long time either lol

Love the posters myself, and the general creativity behind them.  This is a good thing, and fun. 

I'm with you...I simply don't have wall space anymore for anything else, and for the stuff that I do already have, I just don't have any desire to replace any of it.  There probably would've been a time when I would've had wanted all of those posters (even if I didn't necessarily have a place to hang any of them).  It's funny in a way, because I spent years collecting just the right stuff (Devils, Mets, Patriots) for my space, and now that's over (has been for a while, really)...and even when I see something that I like, it's quickly "Well where is THAT going to go?!" 

The next thing that will go up will be Elias' jersey retirement goodies.  I have space on my "retirement wall" for two more players.  Elias is obviously a given for one slot.  It's way way too early to say who will be next, but I have a funny feeling that it could be Greene...if he can stay healthy and not fade too much, he has a shot at playing in 1000 games as a Devil...wouldn't hurt if he somehow won a Cup with the Devils as well.  But that's another topic for another day, and not even remotely relevant at the moment. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm with you about that.  I sold some pieces of my general Devils collection over the past couple of years as I have too much stuff and a lot of it I never looked at since I packed it away years ago.

I used to love posters when I was younger, but the older I got the more I grew to hate them.  I actually dislike it when the Devils hand them out as a giveaway as now I got to carry it around all game and worry about not ripping, creasing or damaging it.  Plus most of the posters I really couldn't care for and I just do not have the wall space for it.  I actually found a few months ago a poster in the trunk of my car that was under the lining that I got from a game about 2-3 seasons ago.  I didn't exactly miss it lol.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Honestly that's largely been where I've been for awhile now too - been selling off bits of my collection to help pay rent and things like that in leaner months, and to just generally downsize (how much STUFF can one really need anyway? And like you said, often it's just that there's not enough room, or I don't connect with having a ton of Devils sh!t on the walls the way I might have as a teenager and 20-something). That said, there's just something about the posters for me - I've always been a fan of concert posters, so seeing that style connected to hockey last year was fun; seeing our traditionally staid team embrace and even sell them this year, for a reasonable price and for charity (I believe) just makes it worth it. If I somehow manage all 41, I'll probably frame 5-6 of the best ones and store the rest in a portfolio for future signing/display purposes.

I've bought posters at 3 of the 4 games I've been to so far.  I missed out on opening nights poster and couldn't attend Marty night.  :/  Anyway, it IS a PITA to purchase the posters and carry them around eithger loose or in a plastic bag.  Another thing that sucks about them is they're simply rolled up and held that way with an elastic band.  No protection whatsoever and they can be ripped, creased, or damaged from food/drink very easily.  I guess for $5 you can't expect much.  I wonder how much grief you'd get if you tried to bring in a protective tube.

5 hours ago, miket424 said:

I've bought posters at 3 of the 4 games I've been to so far.  I missed out on opening nights poster and couldn't attend Marty night.  :/  Anyway, it IS a PITA to purchase the posters and carry them around eithger loose or in a plastic bag.  Another thing that sucks about them is they're simply rolled up and held that way with an elastic band.  No protection whatsoever and they can be ripped, creased, or damaged from food/drink very easily.  I guess for $5 you can't expect much.  I wonder how much grief you'd get if you tried to bring in a protective tube.

None.  I have a telescoping plastic one that is the perfect size so I have brought it to the last couple of games with no issue.