GDT - Devils @ Carolina Hurricanes, 6 PM

thelastonealive

Not the greatest game but I'll take the win.  I like the lineup changes - interesting that they took Cammalleri and Auvitu off the power play, as well as Smith-Pelly (obviously).  I didn't really like how the PP units functioned but we'll see what happens there moving forward.  I like the 5v5 changes.

14 hours ago, WaffleFries said:

There we go Cammy. The one knee snipe. hope this gets him rolling. Also it gets said here a lot but Zajac looks like a different player this year. He had been so good in all aspects of the game so far. what great patience and vision on that goal.

This. Zajac is looking great this year. His confidence on the puck is where it needs to be.

13 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Literally laughing my ass off. Cammy hat trick.

That's what the Devils will need.  Every guy pitching in fairly consistently.  They do that, and they've got a shot at the playoffs. 

Henrique and Palms need to start finding the net next.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

It's just because the team has really suffered due to the poor standings and super poor record.  If this Carolina team has a young phenom like Auston Matthews, those seats are filled.  Yeah, it's bad and I'm sure the NHL is on their case, but FL Panthers were in the same boat when they sucked.  

Look at the same arena in 2009, when they went to the ECF, easily one of the loudest building in the NHL.  

Florida is still in that boat. Their building is always empty still

13 hours ago, pattyelias said:

What was the announced crowd for the Florida game?    That looked much worse. 

The game in Florida netted 11,597, still not great but they broke 5 digits on a Thursday. Carolina has proven in the past that the fans will come if the product is good, but 8,650 on a weekend against a divisional opponent is atrocious.

Edited by CommonDreads

29 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

The game in Florida netted 11,597, still not great but they broke 5 digits on a Thursday. Carolina has proven in the past that the fans will come if the product is good, but 8,650 on a weekend against a divisional opponent is atrocious.

I know AG said it a few times during the game, but the NHL made a huge fvcking mistake putting the Canes up against the NFL Panthers. I know it was a issue many pointed to in one of the threads earlier this summer where the NHL proved how profoundly stupid they are putting Rangers Devils up against Giants and/or Jets home games on a Sunday.

The league claims to want to push the product but makes asinine mistakes as if it thinks it really could compete against the popularity/cult following of the NFL.

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

This. Zajac is looking great this year. His confidence on the puck is where it needs to be.

Dude actually looks like he's having fun finally, past few years, with such low confidence you could tell he wasn't enjoying the game as much. When he narrowly missed that near impossible angle shot from the right side last night, he had a smirk like 'holy sh!t that almost worked'

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I never buy attendance numbers out of Florida. If there were only 8k in Carolina yesterday, were there 11k in Florida? I think Cats fans have been pretty loud this season, but the building is as empty as ever.

Are the Carolina Panthers that popular in the Raleigh/Durham area to affect attendance so greatly? I feel like that might be one of the few regions of the country where football isn't king.

15 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Good win, loved seeing Cammy get the hatty, that's big for his confidence and hopefully he can start burying them at the pace we're used to.

The NHL has gotta look into the validity of the Canes in Carolina btw, I know we don't have much grounds to criticize others for attendance, but an earlier start on a weekend game only netter an attendance of 8,650 tonight. It looked like a preseason game in there tonight, and when I watch a Canes game it seems like that's the norm.

Their lease runs for another 8 years and I believe they have the same deal as the Devils where they actually run the arena operation- so even non-hockey events at the arena the team is making money. So all in all I don't think there's much of an issue especially since the product has been consistently bad these past few years.

Also Sunday games in North Carolina will always take a backseat to football and NASCAR.

Edited by dmann422

Those "bad" Sabres are 5-4-2 to the Devils' 5-3-3.  I think the Devils are what they are right now...a team that's reasonably competitive that can win or lose to anyone that they play (but at times can look a bit overwhelmed/out of sorts).  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Those "bad" Sabres are 5-4-2 to the Devils' 5-3-3.  I think the Devils are what they are right now...a team that's reasonably competitive that can win or lose to anyone that they play (but at times can look a bit overwhelmed/out of sorts).  

That's a step in the right direction!

2 hours ago, lazer said:

hard to believe they dont have a mlb team in the area its kept alive and well in the lesser leagues...otherwise its orioles or braves or nats

The Durham Bulls might be the most popular minor league team in baseball. They should definitely be looked at next time baseball is talking about expansion along with Montreal.

Just now, pattyelias said:

That's a step in the right direction!

No complaints about where they are...just don't think we can pencil in too many opponents as "should-beats".  I would love for the Devils take two of out the next three, but I could see them doing worse than that (and then surprising against a "harder" part of the schedule). 

3 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Solid road trip considering 2 of 3 were against the Panthers and Lightning. Next 3 are against 3 bad teams, so hopefully we can go 2-1. After this little easy stretch, we're @ Dallas, Anaheim, LA, SJ....yikes.

I'm not worried about any of those teams anymore, oddly enough. Those teams and good chunk of the West are starting to show that the balance of power is returning to the East. Anaheim is 2nd in their division with a 6-5-2 record. San Jose is 3rd with a 0.500 record. I think our division, and the East in general, are preparing us with a higher standard of opponents than in our recent past. We'll how it plays out, though...

6 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Right, but the point still stands along with the fact that Florida is putting a pretty great product on the ice right now, both Floridian teams are.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

I know, it's sad to see that. Florida was a contender last year and from what I saw, you could hear a pin drop at their home opener. Once again, we can hardly talk.

13 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

I'm not worried about any of those teams anymore, oddly enough. Those teams and good chunk of the West are starting to show that the balance of power is returning to the East. Anaheim is 2nd in their division with a 6-5-2 record. San Jose is 3rd with a 0.500 record. I think our division, and the East in general, are preparing us with a higher standard of opponents than in our recent past. We'll how it plays out, though...

Yeah, but time zone change has killed this team in the past. Even when NJ was dominant they could never seem to win in Vancouver or San Jose