Sign in to follow this  
MB3

Ilya Kovalchuk to look at NHL return this summer

Don't want him and frankly don't think we need him in the long term. Use his rights as a trade piece and that's all.

I find myself flip flopping between:

• fvck him, he abandoned us.  Don't need his ego back here.. he's a lesser player now than he was before.  Plus he'd probably cost way too much.

and

• We could sure use the scoring.  And adding a potentially elite forward, for free, would be pretty nice.

Just gonna wait it out and see what happens.  Kovy's connections to the Devils left with Lou.. wonder how Shero would react to an inquisition from his agent.

With our anemic offense, you guys don't think even a declining Kovalchuk fits into our top-6?

His cap hit is just north of 6, right? With the Salary Cap rising every year, and the current Devils using players like Mark Savard to just get themselves to the FLOOR, I don't think that's an issue whatsoever. 

No. No. No. No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With our anemic offense, you guys don't think even a declining Kovalchuk fits into our top-6?

No.

• Like 1

He'll be 34 by the start of next season...with the shorter KHL seasons, he's got less miles on his odometer than he would've had he remained in the NHL, but that's still getting up there.  He is currently having his best KHL season, by the glamour numbers. 

My main problem with him is that I don't trust him.  I could see him playing 25-30 games on a one-year deal, finding the NHL game to be much tougher than he remembered, then saying "Screw this, I don't need it."  I'm not quite as hard of a "no" as I once was with him, but still pretty close.  He'd have to be 100% physically before I could even being to entertain the thought of him ever being a Devil again. 

I'll also believe that he wants to come back when I actually see it happen. 

15 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

His cap hit is just north of 6, right? With the Salary Cap rising every year, and the current Devils using players like Mark Savard to just get themselves to the FLOOR, I don't think that's an issue whatsoever. 

He hasn't got a contract so he doesn't have a cap hit.

Oh, that's interesting. Didn't know that. I thought that was only if he started playing after he was 35 years old, as a UFA due to some 'voluntary retirement" clause. 

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No. No. No. No.

No.

If you can name 6 forwards on our team right now that you would take over Ilya Kovalchuk, fine. If you can't, you'll need to expand on a one-word answer.

Oh, that's interesting. Didn't know that. I thought that was only if he started playing after he was 35 years old, as a UFA due to some 'voluntary retirement" clause. 
If you can name 6 forwards on our team right now that you would take over Ilya Kovalchuk, fine. If you can't, you'll need to expand on a one-word answer.

Ok. I don't want the guy here. I don't like him. I think he's a fvcking distraction and I'd like it if the organization would just stay the fvck away from him and let him be someone else's problem/distraction. So there ya go.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ok. I don't want the guy here. I don't like him. I think he's a fvcking distraction and I'd like it if the organization would just stay the fvck away from him and let him be someone else's problem/distraction. So there ya go.

I somehow find myself agreeing with both of these posts. I guess i have no clue what I would l want. 

The possibility has to be investigated, even if its only because its his only way back in and we can get something in trade from the team that wants to take a chance on him. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

I'd take him back on a 1 year deal but I'd also see what his rights could fetch in a trade first. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That sounds like something personal, but doesn't address why you don't think he'd fit into our top-6. Why do you think he's a distraction? He bought into being a Devil. He backchecked with the best of them. He vigorously killed penalties. He, and Brodeur's resurgence, are the two major reasons why we have 2011 to remember fondly.

I don't like that he left (to go to his home country, but even still). I think it was sh!tty. I also think if the NHL lock-out never happened, and he doesn't get a half-season in the KHL, he never leaves.  If he's coming back, and can be had at a reasonable price, I don't think there is any reason it shouldn't be with the Devils.

• Like 1

That sounds like something personal, but doesn't address why you don't think he'd fit into our top-6. Why do you think he's a distraction? He bought into being a Devil. He backchecked with the best of them. He vigorously killed penalties. He, and Brodeur's resurgence, are the two major reasons why we have 2011 to remember fondly.
I don't like that he left (to go to his home country, but even still). I think it was sh!tty. I also think if the NHL lock-out never happened, and he doesn't get a half-season in the KHL, he never leaves.  If he's coming back, and can be had at a reasonable price, I don't think there is any reason it shouldn't be with the Devils.

The reasons I don't want him have nothing to do with hockey- we moved on and I'd prefer to just leave Kovalchuk in the past. If he comes back, with his past history here, it'll be all about him, and I'm just not interested. It's over. Move on.

Does anyone know where he stands with the NHL? Do we still have to approve his return? Do all other 30 teams (by then) have to approve his return as well? Can he return as a UFA? I always hear so many different versions of where he stands.

Currently 2nd in points in the KHL. While past his prime, he certainly still has it to some degree. I would take him back on this team. We will never know the full story regarding his retirement.

Something I'd be curious of, could the Devils allow Vegas to negotiate with Kovalchuk and then take him as our expansion player? It's honestly something I could see the league allowing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Something I'd be curious of, could the Devils allow Vegas to negotiate with Kovalchuk and then take him as our expansion player? It's honestly something I could see the league allowing.

I'd rather have him on the team or trade his rights for something, which could be done after the expansion draft so he wouldn't need to be protected.  It doesn't look like the Devils will be losing a good player in the expansion draft.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'd rather have him on the team or trade his rights for something, which could be done after the expansion draft so he wouldn't need to be protected.  It doesn't look like the Devils will be losing a good player in the expansion draft.

I agree, I don't see how "losing" him in the expansion draft helps us.

Its still early on in this season, but its clear we could still use offense. I don't think I would just turn him away without a look. 

Also, we're assuming that he would want to come back across the bridge he burned to play for us again. Altogether possible he has no interest in doing so, and part of the "look" he is doing at coming back involves what would need to be done as far as the Devils are concerned to "allow" him back with freedom to sign elsewhere, not necessarily to re-join the Devils. 

I'm over and tired of the "abandonment" argument. The fact that this team was sold only after he left and we largely have benefited from his departure financially due to his contract disappearing, eliminates the negative feeling. He didn't leave in FA to the Rags or acrimoniously nor is he a bad person. He went home. If it ever came out that Lou and the rest of the hierarchy wanted him to leave to help propel the sale of the team, would anyone really be surprised? IMO the biggest negative to him leaving was losing the higher draft pick, but ultimately we still got to pick that year.

The only reason I'd want him back at this point is for his potential value as an asset, which for a guy who is likely going to command a Radulov-esque contract in terms of salary (if not more) for a 34 year old is may not be all that great. He's not the Kovalchuk he once was. It would all depend on the commitment and our team's make up/what else is available. We don't need Kovalchuk like we once did. On the flipside, if we did bring him back on, I wouldn't be complaining either.

• Like 2