GDT: Game 18 Devils @ SJS, 10:30PM, MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

This is men against boys right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More like men vs. embryos.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

One day Beau Bennett will score a goal. I don't know when that day will be. I don't know if he'll be even be a Devil when he scores it. But one day, Beau Bennett will score a goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says Tim Sestito

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Lol this is embarrassing. 

sometimes, a coach has to think about using his timeout early.  Hynes doesn't have much to lose at this point.

14 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Gross!  This should be a wake up call to this team.

EVEN STRENGTH

• CF%: 43.3 (42 to 55)
  • FF%: 46.15 (30 to 35)
  • SF%: 44.68 (21 to 26)
  • SCF%: 55.56 (5 to 4)
  • HDCF: 0 (0 to 0)

When you have a 3 top 9 FWs out you expect this to happen. Im not shocked at all. They should get Cammy and Palms back for Wed.

6 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Gross!  This should be a wake up call to this team.

Oh please...if anything, this should be a wake-up call to fans that think this team is better than it really is.  The five-game winning streak was fun (as was the 9-3-3 start) but the Devils hardly won those five games easily, and four of the five wins came against some pretty weak competition.  This team was never supposed to keep pace with the big boys this season, and I think most Devils fans knew and accepted that coming into the 2016-17 season.  It always stings when you get a "reminder" losing streak like this, but even at full strength, how well were the Devils supposed to do on this road trip?  I happily would've taken a split with everyone healthy. 

This team SHOULD be able to compete for a lower playoff seed (I never had them getting in, but I thought at the very least, they would be in the hunt for most the season, if not to the very end), but of course, they're not a bunch that can overcome a lot of missing bodies (especially a guy like Hall)...they have enough trouble scoring consistently even when everyone's playing. 

All you can do is hope that Henrique and Palms don't turn out to be guys who enjoyed career years last season and can combine for 50+ goals (and not roughly 40), and hope that Cammalleri can actually become someone who the Devils can count on for a change (I doubt it...I have no idea what is going on in Cam's personal life and I hope it's nothing too serious or tragic, but all you have to do is look at Cam's history since '09-'10 to realize that he ALWAYS seems to find a way to do less than what's hoped for, whether it's less production, too many missed games...he's just an aggravating presence, the guy who just never seems to be around when you really need him, and gets paid pretty nice coin on top of it.) 

Like I pointed out a while ago, at least the 8-3-3 start (before this four-game road swing) meant that the Devils didn't NEED to have a great trip.  Would like to see them go 1-0-1 or better in these next two home games though.  9 of the next 11 are on the road after that, and against a lot of better teams...if the Devils come away with only a point or less against the Leafs and Wings, then they're probably under a .500 point% on the morning of 12/19, which will kind of suck...especially since they wrap up December with home-and-homes against Pitt and Washington.

January and February are much kinder, in terms of competition and home games...16 home, 9 road, only one extended road trip, and overall the opponents aren't as tough.  But the next 5-6 weeks are the key...the Devils have to find a way not to fall to pieces over that stretch, and their schedule through the end of 2016 is a real challenge. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Went to bed shortly before the game began and saw that I didn't miss much.  When I saw Palmieri was out yesterday afternoon I didn't have too much hope despite my prediction.  I have to see what happened on that Quincey goal as it sounds like a doozy.

It still puzzles me how Josefson still gets sh!t on by our fanbase but Bennett has escaped the brunt of the criticism.  Neither have scored a goal this season but at least with JJ when he is not scoring he is doing other things while mostly playing on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Bennett has been largely bouncing around the top 3 lines and even though he is not scoring, he isn't doing much anything else except skating around.  It really is beyond me at this point how fans concentrate on a 4th liner not scoring but a top 9 player who hasn't done ANYTHING gets off scott free.

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Went to bed shortly before the game began and saw that I didn't miss much.  When I saw Palmieri was out yesterday afternoon I didn't have too much hope despite my prediction.  I have to see what happened on that Quincey goal as it sounds like a doozy.

It still puzzles me how Josefson still gets sh!t on by our fanbase but Bennett has escaped the brunt of the criticism.  Neither have scored a goal this season but at least with JJ when he is not scoring he is doing other things while mostly playing on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Bennett has been largely bouncing around the top 3 lines and even though he is not scoring, he isn't doing much anything else except skating around.  It really is beyond me at this point how fans concentrate on a 4th liner not scoring but a top 9 player who hasn't done ANYTHING gets off scott free.

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And of course Blow No-Nett doesn't score there.

MITB and others have been making comments lately as well.  If the losses start to pile up, it will get worse.  I'd say Henrique and Palms are bigger concerns at this point though.  I don't think the plan was ever for them to slide too far backward in production.  Production at least in the ballpark of last season is needed if this team is really going to make progress.

Just now, Chuck the Duck said:

Glad I didn't stay up to watch that debacle.  Turned it off after SJ scored to make it 2-0.  That game was over after the first shift.

I watched most of the first period, then called it a night...hockey's a funny game and sometimes teams can come out looking hopeless and then go on to make the game a lot more competitive, but that just never felt like it was in the cards last night.  The only "drama" was wondering if the Devils had managed to score a cosmetic goal or two when checking out this morning's box score.  Nope. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MITB and others have been making comments lately as well.  If the losses start to pile up, it will get worse.  I'd say Henrique and Palms are bigger concerns at this point though.  I don't think the plan was ever for them to slide too far backward in production.  Production at least in the ballpark of last season is needed if this team is really going to make progress.

100% agree with you, but outside of a few posters here I really don't see the mobs forming around them like I do with JJ or Bennett.

Right now Henrique and Palms are on pace for about 15 goals each.  That's literally half their last year's goal production and is already and going to be a huge impact on how the Devils do in the standings.  I would gladly sign up for 20-25 goal seasons from both which I think are realistic, but they aren't on pace to even match that.

With Hall being out and Cammy being out (as well as Cammy's production being limited to a 3-goal outburst in one game), December will be an uphill battle unless Henrique and Palmieri figure out how to hit the back of the net.

Obviously losing Hall has had the biggest impact but I think losing Auvitu is a close second. Palm and Cam were relatively quiet before they went down. Auvitu was contributing a lot more.

Also, I wonder if not playing with Hall has affected Henrique's attitude. He seemed pretty excited when the trade was announced but since then he's been put on the 3rd line and even benched. Maybe both he and Palm have a little attitude because they were both 30 goal scorers last year but have been dropped to second and 3rd lines since. Don't mind me, just overthinking as usual.

Zacha is much better at center than on the wing IMO. I wanted to say something during the King's game but I didn't see enough of it to make such a bold statement. Now I feel I can. I like that Hynes is taking his time with his development though. I still think he can be our 1C eventually.

That being said, I find myself contemplating whether or not our 1st should be in play this year. I think both Shattenkirk and Duchene might be available, I just don't know what we'd be able to add on top of our 1st to make either team want to trade with us. I think Duchene would be the better fit as he would be great with Hall and the right side of our D is not the weak side. Then again we could keep slipping into a top 5 pick again. 

Edited by Jerzey