GDT: Detroit @ Devils

MadDog2020

22 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The defense has been brutal and Cory Schneider has been an average, at best, goalie. We're paying him to be a superstar, and that he needs to be. 

I love him to death, but I wonder why he's seemingly exempt from criticism on these forums

I'm a little irritated with him right now tbh. It's why I changed my avatar. He needs to be better. 

sloppy game tonight.

1st off - credit where it's due because i killed him early, but cammalleri has been very good in his first two games back.

zajac again with a strong game as well.

and....that's about it.

the defensive play was so loose and without urgency that it almost looked like it was by design - like they were doing some sort of rope a dope tactic. auvitu was real bad tonight - at least he didn't stick tap his partner into a bad pass.

henrique - goal aside - was a passenger yet again. i don't know what's going on there but it would be nice for him to do something.

and then cory - i love cory and the devils are lucky to have him. with that being said, this might be his worst game as a devil. everything that cory is was simply not there tonight. patience, positioning, smarts - all invisible. and he's been on this for a while now. in dallas, the devils owned that game so it wasn't really cory giving up just the one goal. he was not great in anaheim. brutal in LA. unsharp against toronto and flat out "marty last two seasons" bad tonight. larkin's goal - terrible. manta goal - terrible. green goal - terrible. the two first period goals are more on him being fish out of water than anything else. if the devils score 4 goals, they have to win 99.9% of the time. tonight they were lucky to get a point.

hopefully they tighten it up tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The defense has been brutal and Cory Schneider has been an average, at best, goalie. We're paying him to be a superstar, and that he needs to be. 

I love him to death, but I wonder why he's seemingly exempt from criticism on these forums

It was a 4-4 after we killed a penalty that carried over from the third period.

It obviously wasn't his best game but I don't think it's brought up as much cause he's still our #1 pretty much no matter what. I'm also confident he will be fine. Also the defense is really brutal at times. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

We're not even so much paying Cory to be a superstar - but we need him to be one.  We can't afford to lose points in games we actually get four goals in, no matter how sloppy the team was getting those four goals.  This is easily Cory's worst stretch as a Devil with at least one soft goal every game the last four games, the only comparable stretch was the post-Olympic malaise in his first year.

Cory would be wanting at least 2 maybe 3 of those back. 

I think he has some stuff to work through. He had a spell like this last year if I remember correctly. Every post game he said he needEd to be better. Eventually he found his form. 

I hope KK gets the nextra start though. a bit of pressure I think does Cory good  

8 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

Idk whats wrong with Cory but he needs to get it together. It was bad seeing those soft goals like that

His rebound control has been piss poor as well. It's as if he is relying too much on his defense to clear the puck, but the defense is markedly less skilled than last year. 

28 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Cory would be wanting at least 2 maybe 3 of those back. 

I think he has some stuff to work through. He had a spell like this last year if I remember correctly. Every post game he said he needEd to be better. Eventually he found his form. 

I hope KK gets the nextra start though. a bit of pressure I think does Cory good  

Gross mentioned yesterday afternoon that KK would get the start tonight.  

Fleury played yesterday for Pitt and it sounds like he had as bad an outing as Cory (lost 6-2)... so we'll likely see Murray in net tonight.