GDT: Game 21 - Devils @ Pitt 7PM, MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

RECAP

1. Kinkaid was great tonight.
  2. Team played very well.
  3. Possession metrics misleading tonight.
  4. Bad luck cost this team a 2nd point.
  5. Why wasn't Zacha the one taking that shootout attempt instead of Zajac?
  6. fvck!

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION STATS

• CF%: 43.1 (50 to 66)
  • FF%: 40.24 (33 to 49)
  • SF%: 40.63 (26 to 38)
  • SCF%: 32.14 (9 to 19)
  • HDCF%: 23.81 (5 to 16)

1 minute ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

1. Kinkaid was great tonight.
  2. Team played very well.
  3. Possession metrics misleading tonight.
  4. Bad luck cost this team a 2nd point.
  5. Why wasn't Zacha the one taking that shootout attempt instead of Zajac?
  6. fvck!

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION STATS

• CF%: 43.1 (50 to 66)
  • FF%: 40.24 (33 to 49)
  • SF%: 40.63 (26 to 38)
  • SCF%: 32.14 (9 to 19)
  • HDCF%: 23.81 (5 to 16)

Not sure how unlucky you can be when you give up almost 50 shots in 65 minutes and still come away with 1 pt.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Morons in our fanbase got their wish with JJ being scratched and this is what happens.

Hynes seems nice and all, but hard to think of him as a coach that will get this team to win big down the line when he makes decisions like putting zajac in the shootout over other available options.

Scratching Auvitu was not a great choice during the west coast skid either. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Scratching Auvitu was not a great choice during the west coast skid either. 

He was out with an injury I believe.

but there has been some questionable decisions that has come from him and his staff which leads me to have doubts about him taking this team to the next level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

but there has been some questionable decisions that has come from him and his staff which leads me to have doubts about him taking this team to the next level.

Apparently his finger was healed and he was a healthy scratch for the first time in his career. Cangialosi mentioned it before his first game back.

Couldn't see most of the game but the Devils ended up with 4 points this week which is pretty goddamn good all things considered.  Pittsburgh tying goal was a heartbreaker but they got 4 points in a week where Schneider only played twice and didn't play well and Hall didn't play at all.  I think we'll see a return to better defensive play next week.

• Like 1

They've stolen so many points this year and won games they shouldn't have. It is almost a weird feeling to see them play a game they should have won and be mad that they didn't. Again, they got a point out of it so..meh. I missed the game but looks like Cammy and Kink played well. Especially glad for Cammy.

Edited by NJDevils1214

19 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol yeah Zajac sucks in the shootout, we get it, but where was the obvious option to put in over him?  Everyone else was a hope and prayer at that point too.

Pretty much anyone else would have been good. Historically he has really poor efforts in the shootout. He might as well have reached down, picked up the puck, and handed it to the goalie. 

21 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I totally agree, I've lost faith in Hynes as the guy behind the bench for the next truly competitive group. Good for Shero to have his guy cut his teeth with a talentless team there was no pressure in coaching, and good to start developing another American head coach, but I think he needs to get some assistant experience behind an NHL bench before he's going to lead a team to any real success. It's good he's got this group scrapping through and getting points, but they blow leads every night, and it's starting to look like this group might be back to being dominated more nights than not. It was making me sick watching them get pinned in by Detroit for 5 straight minutes and throwing dozens and dozens of passes to the tape of Red Wing forecheckers. They've looked extremely unorganized and badly out coached with regularity.

Haha, okay.   Hynes changed things around massively this summer and has this team playing a game much more suited to their talents.  This team still has gigantic holes on it.  And yet they're 10-6-5 and in a playoff spot right now.  

I guess you guys should get used to complaining about Hynes because I think he will be around for a while.

• Like 4