GDT: NJD @ WPG, 8 PM, MSG+

JSR

Thinking more on this game - Wood ended up drawing a penalty shot, another penalty, scored a goal, had another breakaway he didn't score on, had a rush he didn't score on - the box score claims he played 14:00 but it seemed like he was out there every other shift in the third.

Zajac played 23 minutes and Cammalleri played 22 minutes.  I know Hall will be back soon but this sort of thing cannot continue.

Palmieri had 4 shots and I thought he was pretty involved in the game.

Moore and Lovejoy just drag the team down so much - hopefully Auvitu can draw back in there next game.  Merrill's no picnic either though he did make some nice plays tonight.  

Cory's fine - he got beat by a phenomenal sniper hitting an incredible shot on the 3rd goal and had no chance on the other two.  Not sure what more he could do there.

• Like 2

I can't freak out about this month.  Brutal schedule (10 road games and just 4 home games) and an injury to a key player in Hall that was going to be very hard to overcome (the Devils have gone 2-4-2 in his absence).  Also didn't have Cammalleri for six games.  6-5-3 overall was really about as much as I could've asked for, under the circumstances.  And considering that Henrique (2 G and 6 Pts in 14 GP) and Palms (1 G and 5 Pts in 11 GP) didn't exactly light it up in November, and the D at times was scary, and Cory (partly due to the shaky D) had perhaps his toughest month as a Devil...it almost feels miraculous that the Devils didn't do much worse, as far as their November record goes.  They also managed just two regulation wins for the month (and have just one in their last 11 games).   

Things DO ease up in January and February...of course, the Devils still have to slog through December to get there, and it doesn't get much easier there.  Though the road-home split is a little less unbalanced than November (9 road games and 6 home games), the quality of opponents is rough:  2 road games against the Rangers, and one home-and-home series each again the Pens and Caps to close out the month...not to mention road games in Chicago and Montreal.  Unless Cory gets hot again (and though he clearly wasn't at his best in November, he didn't get much help either), and Hall returns to the lineup without missing a beat, the Devils are probably going to have a hell of a time finishing out December with a .500 point%. 

Seeing John Moore get bitched off the puck on the 2nd goal better have opened some eyes. I pray Vegas scoops up either him or Lovejoy.

Woods created 2 breakaways just with pure speed. I normally hate dumping the puck in but he'll win so many more races than your average player. His goal was just him winning a race.

6 minutes ago, PacificDevil said:

0-4 without Auvitu

I really don't understand why Hynes keeps scratching him. His finger was apparently healed during the west coast skid, but Hynes chose not to play him. I'd argue he's been the second best defenseman after Severson. He's definitely better than Moore, Merill, Quincey, and Lovejoy, imo. Maybe even Greene.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I really don't understand why Hynes keeps scratching him. His finger was apparently healed during the west coast skid, but Hynes chose not to play him. I'd argue he's been the second best defenseman after Severson. He's definitely better than Moore, Merill, Quincey, and Lovejoy, imo. Maybe even Greene.

Hynes want to play Merrill simple as that. We might want to reconsider Hynes as the head coach, too much line movement and scratching players that a better than those in lineup.team moves from problem to different problem not consistent, that's a coaching problem. 

3 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

Hynes want to play Merrill simple as that. We might want to reconsider Hynes as the head coach, too much line movement and scratching players that a better than those in lineup.team moves from problem to different problem not consistent, that's a coaching problem. 

FYI FWIW...   

Do not believe Yohann Auvitu is a healthy scratch. Believe he is banged up.

44 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

another thing - and this matters - merrill has to play 18 more games to be eligible for expansion draft. they may want that so they can expose him. otherwise they have to expose moore (big deal, i know, but they may want options).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

Factor in everything:  Hall missing 8 games, Cam missing 6 games, Henrique and Palms coming back to Earth after combining for 60 goals last season (this I'm not that surprised by), the hellish schedule...and then ask yourself how much better than 10-7-5 should this team really be?  I'm starting to think not everyone had realistic expectations for this team...so much was going to have to go right for this team to make the playoffs, and though there's still plenty of time for improvement, December promises some more scuffling...a coach is only going to be able to do so much.  Be glad for that 9-3-3 start...if not for that, it's pretty much guaranteed that by late December, we're talking draft position again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Factor in everything:  Hall missing 8 games, Cam missing 6 games, Henrique and Palms coming back to Earth after combining for 60 goals last season (this I'm not that surprised by), the hellish schedule...and then ask yourself how much better than 10-7-5 should this team really be?  I'm starting to think not everyone had realistic expectations for this team...so much was going to have to go right for this team to make the playoffs, and though there's still plenty of time for improvement, December promises some more scuffling...a coach is only going to be able to do so much.  Be glad for that 9-3-3 start...if not for that, it's pretty much guaranteed that by late December, we're talking draft position again.

Don't forget Cory's play dipping...which I'm not really concerned about, but there have been some goals at least the past 3-4 games he normally gets. But he usually has at least one slump every year similar to this one.

One thing the Devils really needed to happen this year in order to arrive early to contention was for Zacha to have an immediate impact and be a 40 point player and for Boucher to start scoring. Neither have happened. 

Edited by '7'

4 hours ago, sundstrom said:

another thing - and this matters - merrill has to play 18 more games to be eligible for expansion draft. they may want that so they can expose him. otherwise they have to expose moore (big deal, i know, but they may want options).

It really doesn't, though.  They should be married to neither guy, and I don't even think Vegas takes either one of them regardless.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

FYI FWIW...   

Do not believe Yohann Auvitu is a healthy scratch. Believe he is banged up.

Here is what Andrew Gross posted at 2 PM on 11/28:  Hynes said there will be a game-time decision among the defensemen. Yohann Auvitu remained on the ice late, working with the extras – goalie Keith Kinkaid and forward Reid Boucher – but Hynes did not specify his six defensemen.

Lets not make this a big deal.

Edited by BostonNala370