GDT: Game 23 - Devils @ Tootoo 8:30

RunninWithTheDevil

RECAP

• Devils played really well enough to win this game.
  • Schneider has not been good.  Kruger's goal and Anisimov's goal were on him.
  • Schneider also doesn't have to play the puck on every dump in.
  • Parenteau continues to be a ghost.
  • Zacha should be playing with Hall and Parenteau, and move Henrique down.
  • Despite that, I actually liked what I saw from Rico tonight.

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION

• CF%: 50.94 (54 to 52)
  • FF%: 53.16 (42 to 37)
  • SF%: 49.12 (28 to 29)
  • SCF%: 53.59 (23 to 20)
  • HDCF%: 59.09 (13 to 9)
  • Like 1

Schneider needs to step up his game, plain and simple.

Also god help me if I see Henrique continue clowning around on social media while he gives minimal effort on the ice.

And I guess this is the PA that the islanders saw in camp.  Much clearer now.

Zajac played well and Cammy and Hall seemed like they were trying.  Palmieri is also another ghost though.

Devils only need to win 10-15 more games the rest of the year and just go to OT the rest.  We will be the only team to reach the playoffs with more OT losses than wins or regular losses.

• Like 1

As much as I agree with everyone about Cory's play lately, we need to cut him some slack. With the amount of games he's stolen for us since he's been here and the defense that's currently in front of him, he should be allowed a slight slump. We still got a point against one of the best teams in the league and we're still above 500. He'll bounce back.

Edited by Jerzey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Devils have now lost more games after scoring first than they did all of last year. During the current losing streak, they scored first 3 of 4 games. I don't know if they've blown any leads they took after being scored on first.

Some positives. I mean, another point they probably didn't deserve. It's nice seeing Zajac continue to tear it up. I only caught the 3rd and OT, so I don't have a lot to add. I liked the way they finished out regulation. And to repeat everyone else, Cory has been average at best. He always gets bit by the bad goal bug, but he's usually posting impressive enough numbers that he's allowed a softie now and then, but that's really not happening, and tonight was one of the only times Cory will have cost the Devils a point instead of stealing one or two.

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Schneider needs to step up his game, plain and simple.

Also god help me if I see Henrique continue clowning around on social media while he gives minimal effort on the ice.

And I guess this is the PA that the islanders saw in camp.  Much clearer now.

Zajac played well and Cammy and Hall seemed like they were trying.  Palmieri is also another ghost though.

Devils only need to win 10-15 more games the rest of the year and just go to OT the rest.  We will be the only team to reach the playoffs with more OT losses than wins or regular losses.

Not sure how Palmieri is a ghost with two points and factoring in on the tying goal as well. I guess we just need people to blame?

All the skaters except maybe PA and the third line had good games. Not their job to stop the puck. Cory needs to be better.

24 minutes ago, '7' said:

Only 3 teams have less regulation losses than the Devils

It's encouraging that they've been so competitive, but they're not going to make the playoffs 1 point at a time. Wins are coming way too few and far between at this point.

Edited by Nicomo

5 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

Lots of excuses but when the two players that have the most TOI time are Lovejoy and Moore we should know we are having a difficult time winning.

I don't understand Hynes' love affair with Lovejoy. At least Moore is capable of scoring some goals. 

7 hours ago, Weekes Head said:

Wtf is going on with our saviour starter right now? He's been looking very average for the majority of this season thus far. And it doesn't help that our defense has no clue which direction is up half of the game. ...

He was terrific in October (7 games).  35 GA in his last 11 games (10 in November and yesterday's December game).  An .891 save% in that time.  Those numbers would've been quite good in 1987, but they're pretty ugly in 2016.

They can't bench him though.  For one, like you say, it's not all on him (though just like the D hasn't helped, neither has he).  For another, he's making a ton of coin, and the track record strongly suggests he's just in a bad slump right now (maybe the worst of his career), but will break out of it.  And KK has done some nice things this season, but I'd have to see Cory struggle for a lot longer before I could consider giving KK significantly more playing time.  Gotta roll with Cory and let himself pull himself out of this thing. 

As far as Cory's recently substandard play goes...sometimes sh!t like this just happens, where a very good player just isn't performing...it's frustrating as hell and it sucks, especially when you know the player involved is capable of SO much more than he's currently showing everyone.  When he's right, Cory's a top-5ish goalie.  I remember when Derek Jeter was hitting about .190 in late May in 2004, and some Yankee fans were freaking out, wondering if Jeter (who was about Cory's age at the time) might be beginning to decline.  He recovered and wound up having a pretty Jeter-type season when it was all said and done.  I expect by season's end, Cory will have his season save% in the mid-.920s somewhere (currently at .912). 

To be fair, no one here is bringing up Cory possibly declining or anything that extreme.  But this is his first really extended slump since becoming a Devil, and his teams have not been good.  I can't kill him.