GDT - Canucks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+2

thelastonealive

Solid win.  Held the Canucks to 24 shots even though the Devils led most of the game - that's a return to form.  Some missed offensive opportunities but in general I like how they played tonight.  Referees were awful, but we all knew that already.  I thought the Kalinin line would get pushed around, but actually the opposite happened, so that's nice to see.

Only one game but was very impressed by the immediate chemistry DSP Bennett and Kalinin had. They knew where to find each other every shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost kinda wish that Hynes went full Ftorek with a good ol'-fashioned bench toss onto the ice.  After the Zajac non-call and everything that came in the minutes just after, my daughter said "Daddy, you just said a lot of the words you said I can't say.  And you said them a LOT."  I was PISSED.  Hope the refs passed out enough Preparation H, because they sure dished out a whole lotta butt-fvckin' last night. 

The Devils' 8-0-2 home record is obviously a bit of a fluke (I don't think our building has suddenly become this albatross for opposing teams), but I ain't complaining one bit.  And these last two wins were big...now it's not necessarily imperative that the Devils come away with a lot of points as yet ANOTHER slew of road games awaits.

So far the Devils are 8-5-4 in their last 17 GP...12 of those games have been played on the road.  And of course Hall was out of the lineup for 8 games...no coincidence that the Devils are 10-3-4 with him in the lineup on the season, 2-4-2 without.  Overall, in spite of the occasionally ragged play, Cory not being his best for several weeks, and the fact that the Devils don't seem capable of ever putting together a non-nailbiting win, they've done a pretty nice job in managing a .600 point%.  And they're scoring some goals too...24 of them in their last 7 games (though they're giving them up too...25 GA).     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Almost kinda wish that Hynes went full Ftorek with a good ol'-fashioned bench toss onto the ice.  After the Zajac non-call and everything that came in the minutes just after, my daughter said "Daddy, you just said a lot of the words you said I can't say.  And you said them a LOT."  I was PISSED.  Hope the refs passed out enough Preparation H, because they sure dished out a whole lotta butt-fvckin' last night. 

The Devils' 8-0-2 home record is obviously a bit of a fluke (I don't think our building has suddenly become this albatross for opposing teams), but I ain't complaining one bit.  And these last two wins were big...now it's not necessarily imperative that the Devils come away with a lot of points as yet ANOTHER slew of road games awaits.

So far the Devils are 8-5-4 in their last 17 GP...12 of those games have been played on the road.  And of course Hall was out of the lineup for 8 games...no coincidence that the Devils are 10-3-4 with him in the lineup on the season, 2-4-2 without.  Overall, in spite of the occasionally ragged play, Cory not being his best for several weeks, and the fact that the Devils don't seem capable of ever putting together a non-nailbiting win, they've done a pretty nice job in managing a .600 point%.  And they're scoring some goals too...24 of them in their last 7 games (though they're giving them up too...25 GA).     

At least two of those games will be against the Rags at the Garden where the players can stay in their own beds. By December 18th the Devils will have played 20 games on the road and 11 at home. That's rough. 

Just between Nov. 3rd and Dec 18th. 6 at home. 17(!) on the road. That is crazy lopsided.

Edited by '7'

18 minutes ago, '7' said:

At least two of those games will be against the Rags at the Garden where the players can stay in their own beds. By December 18th the Devils will have played 20 games on the road and 11 at home. That's rough. 

Just between Nov. 3rd and Dec 18th. 6 at home. 17(!) on the road. That is crazy lopsided.

Yeah, I've talked about the schedule a lot.  It really could've broken the Devils, but they're somehow within striking distance of first place in the division.  Obviously it ain't over yet (and there are still the home-and-homes with the Pens and Caps looming), but having to play 20 out of your first 31 games on the road (against some tough competition) is a lot for a team still trying to establish itself. 

I wonder how much the lopsided schedule has to do with the dates of arena availability provided by the Devils, as opposed to the league's scheduling software coming up with this randomly.  I know the Devils don't like to play a lot of mid week games early in the season because of the low attendance figures for those game, so I'd be curious to see if they created some of this themselves by booking other events in the arena in order to push more of their home schedule off until after Christmas, when attendance always picks up.  

I know it's nitpicking but the last minute was unnecessarily tense- why with 1:20 remaining and an offensive zone faceoff is the Moore-Lovejoy pairing on the ice? If Greene-Severson is tired call timeout, I want them on the ice to close it. If we gave up a goal there it would be 100% on Hynes' line choice.

As for the Zajac non-call I can see it both ways, but the icing on the cake is being down two men. What a farce that was. And for Moore to get an instigator for defending his player but Chaput doesn't for his is total double standard.

10 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

As for the Zajac non-call I can see it both ways, but the icing on the cake is being down two men. What a farce that was. And for Moore to get an instigator for defending his player but Chaput doesn't for his is total double standard.

How can we complain about being down two men when we don't know what was said that resulted in the bench minor penalty?  Yeah it sucks to have one of your players go down and then end up down two men in the aftermath, but the instigator penalty seemed obvious on that one in my opinion, and you have to think that whatever the bench minor was for was probably bad enough to warrant a penalty since the refs already knew the Devils were going to be shorthanded.  There was no instigator called on Chaput because there wasn't even a fight.  The calls on that scuffle were two roughing minors to Vancouver and one roughing minor to us, so they couldn't call an instigator penalty because there needs to be an actual fight for that, but we got a powerplay out of it anyway.  If they call an instigator there, they probably call Hall for the "fight" that was instigated against him, and then he isn't out there to make the pass to Palmieri for the ensuing powerplay goal.

Honestly, I thought the officiating was pretty good.  The Zajac hit could probably go either way, the only thing I really disagreed with was Gudbranson not getting a penalty for knocking Lovejoy down after his goal.  It looked like the ref in that corner didn't see it because he was facing the net to signal the goal, and maybe the back ref didn't see it either.

I thought the crowd looked pretty nice for a Tuesday game against what's probably the least marquee matchup of the year. When I was at the Detroit game and they were plugging last night's date during intermission, I made a comment that it was going to be the emptiest crowd we'd see all season.

I've been really appreciating our crowd this season. The more real fans get priced out around the league, the less enthusiasm you see in NHL rinks. Every year I feel like I see more and more fans staying in their seats when a goal is scored, especially in Canada. It's nice to see our crowd live and die with every goal.

44 minutes ago, devilsfan26 said:

How can we complain about being down two men when we don't know what was said that resulted in the bench minor penalty?  Yeah it sucks to have one of your players go down and then end up down two men in the aftermath, but the instigator penalty seemed obvious on that one in my opinion, and you have to think that whatever the bench minor was for was probably bad enough to warrant a penalty since the refs already knew the Devils were going to be shorthanded.  There was no instigator called on Chaput because there wasn't even a fight.  The calls on that scuffle were two roughing minors to Vancouver and one roughing minor to us, so they couldn't call an instigator penalty because there needs to be an actual fight for that, but we got a powerplay out of it anyway.  If they call an instigator there, they probably call Hall for the "fight" that was instigated against him, and then he isn't out there to make the pass to Palmieri for the ensuing powerplay goal.

Honestly, I thought the officiating was pretty good.  The Zajac hit could probably go either way, the only thing I really disagreed with was Gudbranson not getting a penalty for knocking Lovejoy down after his goal.  It looked like the ref in that corner didn't see it because he was facing the net to signal the goal, and maybe the back ref didn't see it either.

I'm just going by what Hall said during intermission that he thought the bench minor was unwarranted... by that I am assuming the ref could have used more discretion in assessing it. It's one thing to be down a man but to be down 2 men with your best PKer injured as a result of a borderline hit is insult to injury.

I knew someone would bring up the no fight aspect so I should have worded it better- call Chaput for roughing then. Because the way it is was called there, you are essentially awarding a team for accepting the fight.

Disregard the penalties to Gubransson, Burrows and DSP, those were all non-related to Chaput and Hall... You are saying if Hall drops the gloves and a fight ensues after Chaput jumps him, Chaput would get booked for instigator. But if Hall does nothing and doesn't respond, Chaput can get some rough stuff in with no consequence. This incentivizes players trying to start stuff with opposing teams' stars.

I don't care what you call it, but Chaput should get the same penalty time that Moore got. The fact that one opposing player responded and another didn't shouldn't matter.

And I'll add the fact that Chaput going after Hall is the reason why the scrum took place and nearly decapitated Larsen. All the more reason he should get a penalty there.

Edited by dmann422

I am not sure why Hall and Chaput didn't get at least roughing penalties. Chaput had his gloves off and threw at least two punches before the entire Devils team jumped on him. I think Hall had at least one glove off as well. I don't think Hall landed any but it looked like he was ready to throw. 

Its an aspect of Taylor's game that I was not aware of before the trade. He definitely can play more physical than I expected. 

EDIT to add, I don't want our star player engaging in that kind of activity, much less a few days after coming off IR from knee surgery. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

I thought the crowd looked pretty nice for a Tuesday game against what's probably the least marquee matchup of the year. When I was at the Detroit game and they were plugging last night's date during intermission, I made a comment that it was going to be the emptiest crowd we'd see all season.

I've been really appreciating our crowd this season. The more real fans get priced out around the league, the less enthusiasm you see in NHL rinks. Every year I feel like I see more and more fans staying in their seats when a goal is scored, especially in Canada. It's nice to see our crowd live and die with every goal.

Lots of free tickets last night between the food and coat drives and the free extra tickets handed out to season ticket holders.

48 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

I'm just going by what Hall said during intermission that he thought the bench minor was unwarranted... by that I am assuming the ref could have used more discretion in assessing it. It's one thing to be down a man but to be down 2 men with your best PKer injured as a result of a borderline hit is insult to injury.

I knew someone would bring up the no fight aspect so I should have worded it better- call Chaput for roughing then. Because the way it is was called there, you are essentially awarding a team for accepting the fight.

Disregard the penalties to Gubransson, Burrows and DSP, those were all non-related to Chaput and Hall... You are saying if Hall drops the gloves and a fight ensues after Chaput jumps him, Chaput would get booked for instigator. But if Hall does nothing and doesn't respond, Chaput can get some rough stuff in with no consequence. This incentivizes players trying to start stuff with opposing teams' stars.

I don't care what you call it, but Chaput should get the same penalty time that Moore got. The fact that one opposing player responded and another didn't shouldn't matter.

And I'll add the fact that Chaput going after Hall is the reason why the scrum took place and nearly decapitated Larsen. All the more reason he should get a penalty there.

What did Hall say?  I missed that.  He is also clearly biased so I wouldn't take what he says as clear evidence that the call was bad.  Maybe it was, but I think we as fans simply don't know enough to have a legitimate gripe about it.  I'm sure the players felt screwed just like I'm sure the Canucks felt screwed by ending up shorthanded after Hall's hit, but neither side is neutral.

I don't know why Chaput wasn't given a roughing minor, but I'm sure if Hall stood still and Chaput was just wailing away at him, they obviously would have called Chaput for something.  I think it's a stretch to say the calls incentivized starting stuff with opposing star players when they ended up shorthanded as a result.

If Chaput is given the same penalties that Moore got (5 for fighting plus 2 and 10 for instigating), then Hall gets sent off for fighting too, and you could make a case for any one of Parenteau, Quincey, or Kalinin being tossed for third man in.  It was one on one until all three of them jumped in at the same time.  The way they called it worked out much better for us.

Edited by devilsfan26

I caught parts of this game, including Palms' PP goal which was pretty nice -- lots of crisp and quick passes on that powerplay which was great to see.  Also saw Sedin's goal which unfortunately was roofed and not something Schneider could have stopped.  And I also caught the final 3-4 minutes where it looked like we were getting outplayed quite badly.  I was nervous and it sure looked like they were going to tie it.  Credit to the guys for standing tough and being able to play a 60 minute game and get a win in regulation which has been somewhat of a rarity for us so far this year.

I saw the replay of the Zajac hit and it's hard to fault the Vancouver player for that -- he kinda lightly pushed him with one hand and unfortunately Zajac went into the boards awkwardly as hell. I definitely don't think it was intentional, and it's hard to say if it should have even been a penalty.

I caught the end of the hit from Hall and it looked very clean which was awesome.  Can't believe a guy his size was able to deliver a hit standing up like that -- very much Stevens-like, but he had some inches and pounds on Hall, so consider me impressed.  Glad the dude's OK, but it was definitely clean and I loved every minute of it.  I don't mind Hall dropping a glove or both in route to defending himself.  It'snot like he really went looking for trouble or risked injury to himself, he was just playing tough physical hockey and finished his hit.  I would've liked for our guys to jump in to his aid a little quicker, and it would be even better if we had a true enforcer or real big guy that could make the other team fear a bit, but since we don't, that was the next best thing and the team as a whole did a good job coming together in the ensuing scrum.

That hit was clean, but violent.  The only thing it compared to seeing it live was one of those classic Scott Stevens checks.  The fact that the Canucks player Larsen stayed down and motionless for so long was scary.  But I have to credit the EMS personnel at the arena.  The doctor was on the ice immediately, and they had the stretcher out and got him on the backboard in no time.  Glad to hear that he was alert and moving his extremities last night.  

I would be interested to in out what went on between Erik Gudbranson and the crowd on the far end of the arena.  He was very animated and aggravated by something went on when they were tending to Larsen. 

1 hour ago, devilsfan26 said:

What did Hall say?  I missed that.  He is also clearly biased so I wouldn't take what he says as clear evidence that the call was bad.  Maybe it was, but I think we as fans simply don't know enough to have a legitimate gripe about it.  I'm sure the players felt screwed just like I'm sure the Canucks felt screwed by ending up shorthanded after Hall's hit, but neither side is neutral.

I don't know why Chaput wasn't given a roughing minor, but I'm sure if Hall stood still and Chaput was just wailing away at him, they obviously would have called Chaput for something.  I think it's a stretch to say the calls incentivized starting stuff with opposing star players when they ended up shorthanded as a result.

If Chaput is given the same penalties that Moore got (5 for fighting plus 2 and 10 for instigating), then Hall gets sent off for fighting too, and you could make a case for any one of Parenteau, Quincey, or Kalinin being tossed for third man in.  It was one on one until all three of them jumped in at the same time.  The way they called it worked out much better for us.

All Hall said was something along the lines of he heard what was said to the refs and he thought it didn't warrant the penalty. I am fine letting the ref have discretion I would just hope he is a bit thick skinned in a situation like that after a borderline missed call.

We are agreeing that Chaput should get the roughing minor, in the end that is all I'm arguing for. For him not to get anything and Moore getting 5+2+10 seems nonsensical to me, they effectively committed the same act, the only difference was one resulted in a 1v1 fight and the other was more of a group scrum. The opponent's reaction should not change the net punishment for the act (2 mins down a man vs no call.) I would also argue Chaput's act was more dangerous because he started the scrum right by an injured player.

In the end it doesn't matter, I'm happy we got the win without any injuries or suspensions.

Edited by dmann422

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

That hit was clean, but violent.  The only thing it compared to seeing it live was one of those classic Scott Stevens checks.  The fact that the Canucks player Larsen stayed down and motionless for so long was scary.  But I have to credit the EMS personnel at the arena.  The doctor was on the ice immediately, and they had the stretcher out and got him on the backboard in no time.  Glad to hear that he was alert and moving his extremities last night.  

I would be interested to in out what went on between Erik Gudbranson and the crowd on the far end of the arena.  He was very animated and aggravated by something went on when they were tending to Larsen. 

Ya think? That looked like shoulder to the jaw to me. That's a head hit. 

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Someone definitely said something to him and he proceeded to yell back at them and then the crowd booed him... He then went on to take a penalty which we scored on and he was on the ice for the 3rd goal as well. He knocked down lovejoy after the goal as well. fvck that guy

Edited by Satans Hockey

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Someone definitely said something to him and he proceeded to yell back at them and then the crowd booed him... He then went on to take a penalty which we scored on and he was on the ice for the 3rd goal as well. He knocked down lovejoy after the goal as well. fvck that guy

It looked like the upper section we're doing the "woo!" thing when the stadium was quite when they were looking at Larsen. Gudbranson was on the ice skating when he heard it and started yelling back making hand gestures like, "c'mon shut up stop being a$$holes". Which in his defense was kinda rude of the fans. The entire stadium was quite while the medical staff was getting him ready to leave, and all you heard was, "woo! WOO!"  

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ya think? That looked like shoulder to the jaw to me. That's a head hit. 

It looked like a hit to the shoulder/chest that rode into the head to me.  That is a clean hit based upon what I saw, but I didn't break it down frame by frame so I'm not 100% positive if he struck the head first as the primary point of contact.  It definitely didn't look like Hall was targeting the head though.  Biggest problem was that Larsen had his head down trying to play the puck and didn't see it coming.   

1 hour ago, Ralliart90 said:

It looked like the upper section we're doing the "woo!" thing when the stadium was quite when they were looking at Larsen. Gudbranson was on the ice skating when he heard it and started yelling back making hand gestures like, "c'mon shut up stop being a$$holes". Which in his defense was kinda rude of the fans. The entire stadium was quite while the medical staff was getting him ready to leave, and all you heard was, "woo! WOO!"  

From where I was sitting it looked like he was yelling at someone specifically in the section 20/21 area. Somebody definitely said something more specific then wooing to catch his ear. Either way I don't like the guy. 

That game was....something. For starters, it was nice to see NJ put on the defensive performance they did. I'd be surprised if the Canucks had more than 7 scoring chances the whole game. Sure, the Canucks are in the running for worst team in the league but it was still pretty clinical. No point in mentioning Hall anymore but Beau was pretty damn good. I really hope Woods develops some finish because he gets so many chances. At the very least, he's gonna continue to draw penalties and be a pain in the ass . 

As to the extracurricular stuff that was arguably the worst reffing display I've ever seen. Zajac is in a vulnerable position, gets cross checked, has blood dripping from his face, yet, the Canucks get a 5v3? I can see Moore getting one, but to give Hynes one for laying into the refs is inexcusable. I don't think their was any malice in the hit but the Canuck has to lay off a bit. 

The Hall hit was fvcking gorgeous. Yeah, he didn't have to make it, but this is what happens when the refs let the game get out of hand. Glad to see Larsen is ok, but it's interesting why Chaput didn't get an extra two for instigating. To answer the earlier poster about Gudbranson; I'm pretty sure one of the fans 'Woo'd" after the hit, which righly pissed him off. He's still a pos and sucks ass, so there's that. All in all, one of the crazier games to attend

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

As to the extracurricular stuff that was arguably the worst reffing display I've ever seen. Zajac is in a vulnerable position, gets cross checked, has blood dripping from his face, yet, the Canucks get a 5v3? I can see Moore getting one, but to give Hynes one for laying into the refs is inexcusable. I don't think their was any malice in the hit but the Canuck has to lay off a bit. 

The Hall hit was fvcking gorgeous. Yeah, he didn't have to make it, but this is what happens when the refs let the game get out of hand. Glad to see Larsen is ok, but it's interesting why Chaput didn't get an extra two for instigating. To answer the earlier poster about Gudbranson; I'm pretty sure one of the fans 'Woo'd" after the hit, which righly pissed him off. He's still a pos and sucks ass, so there's that. All in all, one of the crazier games to attend

The reffing was fine.  Zajac got knocked down but the injury happened because when he tried to pick himself back up his face hit the top of the boards.  That call can go either way since both players contributed to it.  The Hall hit had nothing to do with the refs "letting the game get out of hand."  What did the refs do to let the game get out of hand, not call one borderline hit?  Hall's hit was plain and simple a forechecker trying to get the puck from a defenseman who didn't bother to take a quick look and see if anyone was pressuring him.  I highly doubt Hall went in there planning on throwing a huge hit, it just became a huge hit by virtue of Larsen not knowing that a hit was coming.  As I explained above, you don't get an instigator penalty when there isn't a fight.  You can make a case for Chaput getting called for roughing, but not instigating unless they also call Chaput and Hall for fighting.