GDT: Devils at Rangers -Sunday @ 7 Eastern

jagknife

I didn't catch any of the game as I was busy and also watching the Giants, but really glad I missed this one.  I kept checking the score and it was getting worse every time.  I'm not sure where we go from here and I don't really want to see Hynes canned, but something does need to be done.  I will say this, I'm pretty disappointed and pissed off at Shero -- we made quite a few moves in the offseason but it seems like all we got were a bunch of Penguins rejects.  Lovejoy, Bennett, and company haven't really done anything and haven't made our team better.  There's more to being a GM than just recruiting your former players and using that as a crutch so when people ask what you did you can say "Look, I made some moves and tried to add pieces to the team".  

With three days off I am very curious to see what this team does to prepare for Thursday's game.  They better be doing nothing other than splitting their time practicing, resting, and then ready to come out firing.  

11 hours ago, BostonNala370 said:

So who takes the hit not Sheri! Owners are thinking about empty seats at home. STH are trying to figure out how to sell tickets

The fan base, Shero isn't going to can his guy this early on imo.  Too many untalented x-Pen retreads, that's on Shero as well.  Not enough turd polish to even make this team watchable at this point.  Was somewhat surprised with their play earlier on this year but the stink is rising.  The rags were missing how many top 9 forwards on top of it all? 

54 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils are now 50-46-14 under Hynes.  Look at what he has had to work with during that time.  And now Henrique and Palms have fallen back to Earth...part of the team taking steps forward this year was going to be the two of them coming somewhat close to last year's production.  The big question is how much better than 50-46-14 is this team supposed to be?  Would anyone else be able to squeeze much more out of this group?  And who would take over?  Is twice-fired Gerard Gallant really going to be much of an upgrade?   

Unfortunately I think that when a team starts getting curb-stomped (like this team has in its last three games), it's easy to assume the players are just mailing it in, or that they're poorly coached.  I wish those were the issues, I really do...I wish it was that simple.  But I think this team is starting to be exposed for what it is.  It won't be this ugly once the goaltending improves (I do think Cory will snap out of this thing, though again, it's not all his fault), but it's become clear that things are evening out in a hurry. 

I am not going to take that record and extrapolate any reasoning to keep Hynes.  This team has fired coaches before with a winning record with the team and they can do it again.

What worries me more than the record is their effort the last month or so.  Yes the team is still in a rebuild and yes they are short on talent in every position, but to mail it in like they have lately is very troubling.  You can suck but still put in effort.  Devils haven't done that in the last 2-3 weeks minus the Nashville game.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am not going to take that record and extrapolate any reasoning to keep Hynes.  This team has fired coaches before with a winning record with the team and they can do it again.

What worries me more than the record is their effort the last month or so.  Yes the team is still in a rebuild and yes they are short on talent in every position, but to mail it in like they have lately is very troubling.  You can suck but still put in effort.  Devils haven't done that in the last 2-3 weeks minus the Nashville game.

The Devils took 4 shots in the third period vs Nashville and scored 3. Then scored the only shot they took 4 minutes into ot. That was another putrid performance

29 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

But the record (though a relatively small sample for a HC) at least shows that Hynes might be able to get a lot out of what he has.  At the very least, he's been far from incompetent. 

If the Devils do fire Hynes, do you think it's going to get that much better with someone else, with these players?  And sure, Lou fired HCs with winning records, with mixed results.  From all accounts, the players were so fed up with Ftorek (and this would happen to him again in his next NHL gig) that Lou didn't have much choice on that one.  With Julien, it might have been more the players than him (not like he showed he couldn't coach, and has had a long run with the Bruins).  The thing with those instances was the feeling that those teams were underachieving.  Sadly I don't think that's the case here. 

I still don't see this as effort/coaching deficiency.  Talent deficiency/expecting and hoping for too much are the issues.  And if this is a case of the team not trying hard enough or putting in the effort (I really don't think it is), then shame on the PLAYERS.  What have they done that could possibly exempt them from not giving their best?  Like good ol' Herb Brooks said...they don't have enough talent to win on talent alone. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

I watched the game on DVR - I actually thought they looked pretty good for the first two periods, power plays aside.  They got some chances that they didn't convert on and the Rangers did.  The third goal was obviously a killer.  Severson needs to learn how to play a 2 on 1.  Oh, and please put Jacob Josefson back in and back on the power play - Henrique on the half-wall is a disaster.

The third I fast forwarded through but it just looked like they got no sustained pressure or anything.  

39 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I watched the game on DVR - I actually thought they looked pretty good for the first two periods, power plays aside.  They got some chances that they didn't convert on and the Rangers did.  The third goal was obviously a killer.  Severson needs to learn how to play a 2 on 1.  Oh, and please put Jacob Josefson back in and back on the power play - Henrique on the half-wall is a disaster.

The third I fast forwarded through but it just looked like they got no sustained pressure or anything.  

Agreed, our defense and Schneider looked very solid, until goal 3 with 3 seconds left in the period. I mean, they kept the game 1-0 until the 4 or 5 minutes left of the 2nd, against the best offensive team in the league. A halfway decent offense is supposed to score a goal or two over the course of 35 minutes of hockey. Those Lappin/Wood breakaways, the power plays, you need to score one when Schneider and your defense gives you that chance to stay in the game. Unacceptable.

Edited by DJ Eco