GDT: Team heads to Canada's Capital

jagknife

didn't it seem like the sens got a stick on every fricken pass we attempted? how many times is rico and cammy going to turn a good offensive possession into an odd man rush for the other team because of terrible passing.. the defense rushes were broken up because the sens were head hunting and got them to cough up the puck.. January cant get here fast enough

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It's only hockey. There's a lot more important things to worry about. We don't need to be ripping each other's throats out. 

But on the other hand, I get why people are venting and upset. It's been 6 years of fairly uninspired hockey and to have your team look like a mix of ineptitude and indifference every game gets old. I'm a Jets fan so I've seen plenty of it these last few years haha

Try being a Bengals fan. :P I've rooted for a team my whole life that has made an art form out of dissapointing it's fans. At least the Devils actually have a competent GM that has won a Stanley Cup. And  has had owners that aren't too cheap to bring star players like a Kovalchuk. 

Won't happen this season but next season is another story

Here's the thing though: there are a LOT of home games coming up in January and February. This team needs to sell tickets, and if they keep losing like this, the Rock is gonna be a morgue for the next three months. I don't know if firing Hynes really solves much right now, but SOMETHING is gonna have to be done if they keep looking like a group of indifferent, hockey playing zombies. I don't envy Shero, but this is why he gets paid the big bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try being a Bengals fan. [emoji14] I've rooted for a team my whole life that has made an art form out of dissapointing it's fans. At least the Devils actually have a competent GM that has won a Stanley Cup. And  has had owners that aren't too cheap to bring star players like a Kovalchuk. 

I feel ya brother. Lifelong Dolphins fan. I know how it feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Besides the end result I actually thought they played one of their best games in awhile, puck just didn't go in the net. That first Sens goal was lucky deflection off our guy. Second goal I thought should have been stopped but it was redirected in front so hard to completely fault him. 

I really didn't like that Lappin penalty, the hit  on Hall wasn't remotely bad enough to take a penalty in that situation. 

I don't like some of the lineup decisions but it is what it is. I actually think we beat the Rangers tonight. 

4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It's only hockey. There's a lot more important things to worry about. We don't need to be ripping each other's throats out. 

But on the other hand, I get why people are venting and upset. It's been 6 years of fairly uninspired hockey and to have your team look like a mix of ineptitude and indifference every game gets old. I'm a Jets fan so I've seen plenty of it these last few years haha 

I know we were spoiled with many great years but this might be 5 straight years of no playoffs and 6 of the past 7 without them. Thankfully we pulled out games 6 and 7 against Florida in 12 or this would feel even worse. Going back 3 seasons prior to the past 7 we also got spanked by 2 of our biggest rivals in the first round and had one of those worst choke jobs ever in a game 7. 

If it wasn't for the run to the finals in 2012 it would have been actually 10 seasons of disappointment. Scary when you think of it like that. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

That's why Cangialosi sucks...that guy with the broken skate got up and fell a half dozen times, and he didn't even realize it!!

Cangi is literally the only reason to watch right now. Will always appreciate him as one of the best play by play guys in the league.

For the first time since I was probably a child. I find it difficult to focus on the games when I have them on and in front of me. We've had some pretty bad teams in the last half decade, and I've always been someone who lives and dies with every goal from October to April every year no matter where we are in the standings, but something about this group, the apathy, and the predictable outcome and lack of effort, I just drift off during the game. I don't bust my ass to get home after work to catch as much of the game as I can, the other night my computer died in the third against St. Louis and I didn't bother trying to get it back on. I'm still watching, and I still get excited, but I barely registered Ottawa's last two goals last night, because why bother getting upset when you've read the same script a hundred times.

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Cangi is literally the only reason to watch right now. Will always appreciate him as one of the best play by play guys in the league.

I could not disagree with you more. He has no idea what is going on in the game half the time, like he's not even watching. He constantly misses things that I catch watching the game on TV and not getting paid to do so.  He gets almost every penalty call wrong. He gets players' names wrong. He's awful. 

8 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

didn't it seem like the sens got a stick on every fricken pass we attempted? how many times is rico and cammy going to turn a good offensive possession into an odd man rush for the other team because of terrible passing.. the defense rushes were broken up because the sens were head hunting and got them to cough up the puck.. January cant get here fast enough

Sens were head hunting with Gadzic in the lineup?

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I could not disagree with you more. He has no idea what is going on in the game half the time, like he's not even watching. He constantly misses things that I catch watching the game on TV and not getting paid to do so.  He gets almost every penalty call wrong. He gets players' names wrong. He's awful. 

He makes the same mistakes every PBP guy makes. He has a great personality, a great voice, seems like he really likes the game, and has great intuition and a sense for the game others don't. Do you listen to other broadcasts often? Living out of market so long, I've had to sit through so many other groups watching online streams, and they're mostly awful. Most of them use silly and unnatural intonation, exaggerate simple plays, and just sound generally ingenuine. The only other broadcast I can stand listening to is Buffalo (and either Calgary or Edmonton, I can't remember which), and we're surrounded by the worst broadcast teams in the league, especially Boston and Philadelphia.

I really like listening to Cangi and Dano. I did like Chico better than Dano, but it's nice having a lifetime Devil in the booth.

4 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

He makes the same mistakes every PBP guy makes. He has a great personality, a great voice, seems like he really likes the game, and has great intuition and a sense for the game others don't. Do you listen to other broadcasts often? Living out of market so long, I've had to sit through so many other groups watching online streams, and they're mostly awful. Most of them use silly and unnatural intonation, exaggerate simple plays, and just sound generally ingenuine. The only other broadcast I can stand listening to is Buffalo (and either Calgary or Edmonton, I can't remember which), and we're surrounded by the worst broadcast teams in the league, especially Boston and Philadelphia.

I really like listening to Cangi and Dano. I did like Chico better than Dano, but it's nice having a lifetime Devil in the booth.

I don't mind Cangi, don't mind Buffalo either, and I love hearing Dave Strader call games, cannot wait until he beats cancer and can come back to doing Stars games.

On the other hand, I don't like Dano, didnt mind him in the beginning but I just don't think color where he's best suited. I feel as though he forces his voice deeper when on camera, I don't like how he almost seems to still be in the lockerroom [meaning he's quick to find silver linings rather than calling it how it is], and I find him to be the cause of Cangi being wrong on calls more often than not.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, I usually listen to opposing announcers just to hear which fan bases are still being force fed the trap narrative by their uninformed crews [FYI - Jeanerette/Ray of the Buffalo broadcasts are arguably the worst offenders of it]

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I don't mind Cangi, don't mind Buffalo either, and I love hearing Dave Strader call games, cannot wait until he beats cancer and can come back to doing Stars games.

On the other hand, I don't like Dano, didnt mind him in the beginning but I just don't think color where he's best suited. I feel as though he forces his voice deeper when on camera, I don't like how he almost seems to still be in the lockerroom [meaning he's quick to find silver linings rather than calling it how it is], and I find him to be the cause of Cangi being wrong on calls more often than not.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, I usually listen to opposing announcers just to hear which fan bases are still being force fed the trap narrative by their uninformed crews [FYI - Jeanerette/Ray of the Buffalo broadcasts are arguably the worst offenders of it]

I think the Buffalo media in general is the worst with blaming every loss to us on the trap. Happened upon an article a season or two ago from whatever Buffalo's paper is that was just a page long rant that the Sabres lost because the Devils have spent the last quarter century ruining hockey. Really bush league stuff from someone reaching for more clicks than "The Sabres are still bad".

I really like that old guy that calls Sabres games part time now. The other group is good too, I've had to listen to them a few times in the last couple years.

Vancouver's guys are garbage too. I had to listen to them a week or two after we beat them in Newark in overtime last season, and talk about sour grapes. They were complaining about Palmieri's celebration and everything.

41 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I think the Buffalo media in general is the worst with blaming every loss to us on the trap. Happened upon an article a season or two ago from whatever Buffalo's paper is that was just a page long rant that the Sabres lost because the Devils have spent the last quarter century ruining hockey. Really bush league stuff from someone reaching for more clicks than "The Sabres are still bad".

I really like that old guy that calls Sabres games part time now. The other group is good too, I've had to listen to them a few times in the last couple years.

Vancouver's guys are garbage too. I had to listen to them a week or two after we beat them in Newark in overtime last season, and talk about sour grapes. They were complaining about Palmieri's celebration and everything.

Thats Rick Jeanerette [sp?]. He's one of the, if not the only, play by play guy in the league that does both TV and radio. He's a Buffalo treasure.

That article was written by either Mike Harrington or Mike Hamilton, both garbage writers who's best work came when the team was successful. When faced with a garbage product on the ice, they only blame the opposition for the way they play.

I cannot stand Jack Edwards of the B's broadcasts, god freaking awful homer and I dont find him to be that interesting at all.

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I can attest to the Blue Jackets having some really awful broadcasters over the years. Especially early in the franchise. Haven't watched much of them since they moved into the Metro (and hired the douche), so I'm not sure if it's any better now.

20 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I agree with you.  I always liked Doc when we had him and not just because he was our announcer, I really had no bias whatsoever, I just enjoyed the way he called the game.  It was no surprise to me that the rest of the world learned to love him when they heard him, and that he eventually got plucked to be the NBC guy.  Big shoes to fill, but I agree Cangi is fine.  I appreciate most of the same things about him, and even if he does say or make a lot of mistakes (which I don't notice by the way), it's probably that they're very minor, and/or you're able to catch it on your own so it's not like he ruins the gameplay for you or makes you think something crazy happened