GDT 12-20 Nashville at Devils 7pm on MSG+

Satans Hockey

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

It feels like a losing attitude has infested that room. Losing breeds more losing, and more losing seems to be breeding indifference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously...this is why I'm never in favor of long-term tanking.

At this point I'm not even annoyed (that much), I'm laughing at this team's ineptitude.  Though yes the Jet comparison is staggeringly apt especially considering all the key vets that have fallen off.  At least nobody here's done a dumb snapchat or missed meetings - yet.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is the first night that I've been annoyed with Hynes.  At 3-0, can't call a timeout?  Put in KK for Schneider?  No, these actions may not accomplish a damned thing, but for fvck's sake, try SOMETHING.  Hynes just looks so passive and resigned tonight.  

Just an all-around disappointing night.

Yeah there's that, and there's leaving Cory into die multiple times in blowout games when it's obvious the team wasn't going to win anyway.  At this point he needs a Lundqvist-sized vacation.

28 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Let's be clear - it's not 2 months of terrible play.  They started losing in November on that Western road trip, but the first real sh!tshow game was in San Jose one month ago.  But that speaks to a larger point - this is so obviously not the worst team in the league.  They're not at the bottom of the standings.  They're not even close.  They're not even close to the worst team territorially.  They don't have the worst PK or the worst power play.  They're a not great team getting all the wrong breaks.  I really don't think they played this game 5-1 awful tonight.  They just made some critically poor decisions and many of those bad decisions ended up in their net.  Meanwhile, Nashville's poor decisions didn't cost them.

I know I still have some debts outstanding but I'll bet double or nothing on whatever that number is that the Devils won't finish at the bottom - they won't even finish 2nd to last either, I'll give you that too.

the "worst team in the league comment" is an overall statement - i'm not saying they have the least points. I know they don't. and you're right, it's not two months - it's really one month of time stretched over two calendar months (but it started in LA, not SJ; they were good in Anaheim and just lost the game).

they were 5-1 awful tonight. i suppose you could say they weren't as bad as they were 5-0 @ the Garden last Sunday but that doesn't say much.

they may not be the worst at any one thing but they are very near the bottom at everything. they are keeping company with colorado and arizona.

my point is that hynes can't seem to get some sort of consistent game or effort and there's enough good players on this team that he should. i'm not asking for lots of wins. and hey, if we can't finish chances - ok there too. the devils have seemed to shoot relatively low 5v5 for years. but they are just getting their brains beat in and a press conference tonight where he goes "the team that played in new york (who lost by the way) didn't show up tonight. we've got 48 hours to figure out why" doesn't inspire much confidence. you want to say "who cares what someone says in a press conference" or "what do you expect him to say - this guy was terrible and that guy was terrible"? my answer is that he could get up there and say "our compete level was again not where it should have been. our players did not keep within the system we've designed for them. we did not get any semblance of consistent execution from just about any of our forward lines, defensive pairings, or goaltending and i as coach did not do enough to get the players to do those things. I will be better. They will be better. There will be accountability."

now what is that accountability? well i'd bet dollars to donuts gazdic will be in against the flyers. for one, it's the flyers and they're sh!theads who require a guy like gazdic in the lineup. two - you saw Hall get pushed around in the first and nobody did anything about it. I'm not saying someone had to go drop the gloves. i'm saying the devils as a team (and individuals) had zero response. there wasn't a finished check. there wasn't an offensive push. there was nothing. now even if fiddler isn't so hurt, i wouldn't mind him sitting and using this as an excuse for benching a vet for a bit. that will get josefson back in the lineup assuming he's healthy. if he's not, fine, DSP goes back in and kalinin centers them on a 4th line that will see about 8 minutes for the game.

i'm also expecting to see blandisi for lappin pretty soon even though lappin is doing the things he needs to - devils are going to look for some sort of spark.

Edited by sundstrom

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah there's that, and there's leaving Cory into die multiple times in blowout games when it's obvious the team wasn't going to win anyway.  At this point he needs a Lundqvist-sized vacation.

I fully understand why Hynes has stuck with Cory (without any "vacations") for as long as he has...Cory has a track record of both being a fine puck-stopper, and being able to be a solid meh-team goalie.  You hope a goalie like that will eventually snap out of it, and clearly Cory is by far and away the best goalie in the organization.  It's him or bust...no one in the organization gives the Devils a better chance to win. 

Where I feel Hynes hasn't really helped Cory out is with the refusal to EVER pull him out of a game this season, no matter what, and considering how some of these games have gone lately, I can't for the life of me understand why Cory is left to wither in some of these games.  Goal #2 was a bad one, and you could see from Cory's reaction that he was shaken by it...and it's kind of hard not to think that he's playing with minimal (if any) confidence right now.  Considering that it probably doesn't take much for the whole team to think "Here we go again" after two quick early goals like that, you can make the argument that Hynes could've switched goalies right there...that being said, I didn't have an issue with Hynes not doing that at that point in the game.

At 3-0, I think Hynes should've taken Cory out...just to give the guy a break, shake things up a little, whatever.  But then Cory's left in at 4-0 and even 5-0.  I haven't bought a ticket to board the "Hynes Sucks" train, and I'm not getting in line to...but geez, was there really much to be gained by leaving in a goalie who seems to be a bit shell-shocked right now?  Did anyone really think the Devils were coming back from 3-0?  (Lightning wasn't striking again against the Preds, especially since they were likely very much on-guard against that possibility).  And at 4-0, why in hell isn't KK out there? 

Anyway, at this point, I think it's been long enough, and I agree with you...give Cory 3-4 games off...if I'm Hynes, I even explain to Cory that it's clearly not all on him (plenty of seats on the Blame Train) and that the idea is to give him a mental break. 

On another note, Tri is right, the Devils aren't THE worst team in the NHL and won't finish with the worst or second-worst record, but bottom 5 isn't anyone had in mind, and breaks or no breaks, they just look awful.  This has got to turn around soon...at least flirt with respectability.   

8 hours ago, sundstrom said:

he's hurt. i'm pretty confident he'd be in there if he was healthy - either for kalinin or maybe even lappin (whose early season bloom is clearly off the rose).

I realized he was hurt, I and not so sure I believe these hurt reports for players, but even if he wasn't he would be benched. This team isn't going anywhere so let's dump the deadwood and play AHL players to see what we have within the rebuild. Haven't we seen enough? 

16 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

I realized he was hurt, I and not so sure I believe these hurt reports for players, but even if he wasn't he would be benched. This team isn't going anywhere so let's dump the deadwood and play AHL players to see what we have within the rebuild. Haven't we seen enough? 

he hasn't skated in practice = hurt. this isn't like auvitu who was practicing with his "ailments".

• Like 2

I think it's time NJ started mining for expansion casualties. Jonas Brodin is number 1 on my list. He isn't high offensive defensmen that many want however he is a strong possession defensmen who is very good defensively, very much like Adam Larsson. I would also like to trade Mike Cammalleri at the TD for a late first or a 2nd and a prospect. When NJ is ready to compete in two years he will most likely be a shadow of himself on a terrible contract. You can easily sign Elias to fill the veteran void.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Damn I didn't even realize we'd be picking top 5 right now. 

Any word on Fiddler? Looks like he could have broken his wrist or arm blocking that shot. Well at least all you JJ fans will be able to rejoice if he's out.

I do think JJ is better than some of the people that currently get more games than him this year, but Fiddler isn't one of them.

anyone who thinks this is an issue with the new regime please see below, LL left this organization void of talent!

2014 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2014 Entry

John Quenneville

C

2014 Entry

Joshua Jacobs

D

2014 Entry

Connor Chatham

R

2014 Entry

Ryan Rehill

D

2014 Entry

J.D. Dudek

F

2014 Entry

Brandon Baddock

C

2013 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2013 Entry

Steven Santini

D

2013 Entry

Ryan Kujawinski

C

2013 Entry

Miles Wood

L

2013 Entry

Myles Bell

R

2013 Entry

Anthony Brodeur

G

2012 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2012 Entry

Stefan Matteau

F

2012 Entry

Damon Severson

D

2012 Entry

Ben Johnson

L

2012 Entry

Ben Thomson

L

2012 Entry

Graham Black

C

2012 Entry

Alexander Kerfoot

C

2012 Entry

Artur Gavrus

C

2011 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2011 Entry

Adam Larsson

D

2011 Entry

Blake Coleman

F

2011 Entry

Reid Boucher

L

2011 Entry

Blake Pietila

L

2011 Entry

Reece Scarlett

D

2011 Entry

Patrick Daly

D

2010 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2010 Entry

Jon Merrill

D

2010 Entry

Scott Wedgewood

G

2010 Entry

Joe Faust

D

2010 Entry

Maxime Clermont

G

2010 Entry

Mauro Jorg

F

2009 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2009 Entry

Jacob Josefson

C

2009 Entry

Eric Gelinas

D

2009 Entry

Alexander Urbom

D

2009 Entry

Seth Helgeson

D

2009 Entry

Derek Rodwell

L

2009 Entry

Ashton Bernard

L

2009 Entry

Curtis Gedig

D

2008 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2008 Entry

Mattias Tedenby

R

2008 Entry

Brandon Burlon

D

2008 Entry

Patrice Cormier

C

2008 Entry

Adam Henrique

C

2008 Entry

Matt Delahey

D

2008 Entry

Kory Nagy

C

2008 Entry

David Wohlberg

C

2008 Entry

Harry Young

D

2008 Entry

Jean-Sebastien Berube

L

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wow...looking at them all together it's pretty ugly. 

Ofc Toronto would hire Lou after a stint like that. :lol:

Toronto already has an abundance of elite prospects. Give Lamoriello excellent prospects and he will give you a winner, Toronto will win a cup in the next 7 years.

About 1 NHL player per draft is not too bad given that Lou gave up a lot of picks 2010-12. At the end of the day most good teams have at least two truly elite players and if you draft well you can surround them with good complimentary players (outside of picking first two and getting McDavids of the world). You add Henrique into 2011-12 lineup and you get much more out of him than having him be the go-to guy.

1 hour ago, redruM said:

anyone who thinks this is an issue with the new regime please see below, LL left this organization void of talent!

2014 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2014 Entry

John Quenneville

C

2014 Entry

Joshua Jacobs

D

2014 Entry

Connor Chatham

R

2014 Entry

Ryan Rehill

D

2014 Entry

J.D. Dudek

F

2014 Entry

Brandon Baddock

C

2013 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2013 Entry

Steven Santini

D

2013 Entry

Ryan Kujawinski

C

2013 Entry

Miles Wood

L

2013 Entry

Myles Bell

R

2013 Entry

Anthony Brodeur

G

2012 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2012 Entry

Stefan Matteau

F

2012 Entry

Damon Severson

D

2012 Entry

Ben Johnson

L

2012 Entry

Ben Thomson

L

2012 Entry

Graham Black

C

2012 Entry

Alexander Kerfoot

C

2012 Entry

Artur Gavrus

C

2011 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2011 Entry

Adam Larsson

D

2011 Entry

Blake Coleman

F

2011 Entry

Reid Boucher

L

2011 Entry

Blake Pietila

L

2011 Entry

Reece Scarlett

D

2011 Entry

Patrick Daly

D

2010 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2010 Entry

Jon Merrill

D

2010 Entry

Scott Wedgewood

G

2010 Entry

Joe Faust

D

2010 Entry

Maxime Clermont

G

2010 Entry

Mauro Jorg

F

2009 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2009 Entry

Jacob Josefson

C

2009 Entry

Eric Gelinas

D

2009 Entry

Alexander Urbom

D

2009 Entry

Seth Helgeson

D

2009 Entry

Derek Rodwell

L

2009 Entry

Ashton Bernard

L

2009 Entry

Curtis Gedig

D

2008 Entry

Draft

Num.

Round

Player

Pos

2008 Entry

Mattias Tedenby

R

2008 Entry

Brandon Burlon

D

2008 Entry

Patrice Cormier

C

2008 Entry

Adam Henrique

C

2008 Entry

Matt Delahey

D

2008 Entry

Kory Nagy

C

2008 Entry

David Wohlberg

C

2008 Entry

Harry Young

D

2008 Entry

Jean-Sebastien Berube

L

That's some good drafting right there by Lou Lams!! LOL.

2 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Toronto already has an abundance of elite prospects. Give Lamoriello excellent prospects and he will give you a winner, Toronto will win a cup in the next 7 years.

Not disagreeing but just out of curiosity - where'd you get 7 years from?

2 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

I am, personally, finished with this team.  I will see if I can conjure up the energy to come back for more in 2017.  I can't watch a Devils team suck so bad, not after all the years of contending for a Cup...it just hurts too much.

Pretty sure the above is how one defines "fair weather fan". 

You can jump ship to any other team that you want, but news flash:  EVERY team climbs into the losing barrel at some point.  The Rangers, the Penguins, the Red Wings (once called the Dead Things during one of their extended droughts several years ago)...they've all been there.  No one contends for a cup every single season of their existence.  There's teams that never even have "all the years of contending for a Cup"...and a number of franchises have won NONE.   

I'll admit that this team is a brutal watch right now...and any improvement will have to come with primarily who's on the team, because there's no bevy of prospects ready to come up to excite.  If this team is at least going to become a non-eyesore again, it will have start with Cory/KK, and work its way out.  I don't think this team is good and never really did, but I don't think they should be this bad either...certainly not 3-10-4 bad over a 17-game stretch, even with a rough schedule.    

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty sure the above is how one defines "fair weather fan". 

You can jump ship to any other team that you want, but news flash:  EVERY team climbs into the losing barrel at some point.  The Rangers, the Penguins, the Red Wings (once called the Dead Things during one of their extended droughts several years ago)...they've all been there.  No one contends for a cup every single season of their existence.  There's teams that never even have "all the years of contending for a Cup"...and a number of franchises have won NONE.   

I'll admit that this team is a brutal watch right now...and any improvement will have to come with primarily who's on the team, because there's no bevy of prospects ready to come up to excite.  If this team is at least going to become a non-eyesore again, it will have start with Cory/KK, and work its way out.  I don't think this team is good and never really did, but I don't think they should be this bad either...certainly not 3-10-4 bad over a 17-game stretch, even with a rough schedule.    

I think  what is happening is that it has been a long time of "bad" re Devils since 2003 maybe one exception when we were one goal from the cup with Kovy and Parise with DeBoer as coach. I think most Devils fans have accepted the rebuild but no one expected a regression this season from last that would be this bad and having Schneider playing so badly along with KK and the sh!tty defense we have to hurt them even more.

• Like 1

I think the two biggest reasons for this year's team are goaltending/defense and the really tough schedule.  Our 5-game winning streak earlier this year included 2 wins each against Carolina and the Eichel-less Sabres.  Hopefully after New Year's when we face off against moderate or weaker teams we can build up some wins.

I have to say Hynes comments have been disturbing me and he is really starting to sound like a guy who is running out of answers.  Can't say I am encouraged by his lineup decisions either.

15 hours ago, Triumph said:

Let's be clear - it's not 2 months of terrible play.  They started losing in November on that Western road trip, but the first real sh!tshow game was in San Jose one month ago.  But that speaks to a larger point - this is so obviously not the worst team in the league.  They're not at the bottom of the standings.  They're not even close.  They're not even close to the worst team territorially.  They don't have the worst PK or the worst power play.  They're a not great team getting all the wrong breaks.  I really don't think they played this game 5-1 awful tonight.  They just made some critically poor decisions and many of those bad decisions ended up in their net.  Meanwhile, Nashville's poor decisions didn't cost them.

I know I still have some debts outstanding but I'll bet double or nothing on whatever that number is that the Devils won't finish at the bottom - they won't even finish 2nd to last either, I'll give you that too.

So once again the Devils are getting absurdly unlucky? This seems like really poor play to me...just like the shootout eventually got to the point where it wasn't luck, it was psychological issues coupled with bad 1 on 1 goaltending coupled by poor skill players. That's why it lasted so long.

The Devils have long been due to break out of this. They should've won the Ranger game (late tying goal) they should've won the Pitt game on Nov. 26 (last second tying goal)

This team doesn't create enough chances and they choke. And the D is bad. This is going to spin out of control once Philly/Pitt thumps us and they will be picking in the top 5. 

Edited by '7'

As a newer fan who only started watching hockey the season after the 2012 cup run I can't tell if i should feel worse for all of you who watched this team be good for so long and now have to watch them be terrible or for myself since all i have ever seen is failure. i will say that this 3-10-4 stretch has been the worst hockey I have seen this team play. It truly is garbage hockey.

Alternatively, anybody see Shero's comments today?

"Play harder. Really. Play f---ing harder," Shero said. "There's a will that they need, there's a passion and emotion in your game. How many scrums have we been involved in? Nobody's mad at us.

"I'm not saying for anyone to fight at all. I'm just saying there's got to be pushback in your game, and pride in your game."

Edited by WaffleFries

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If Lou's GM for another seven years that would make him 81.  I mean if anyone can do it I suppose he could but I'm not betting on it.

Besides he doesn't run the entire organization now like he did here, and they have better scouts than our relics have been the last couple decades.

Lou is going to keep at this until his mind goes or he drops. Plus now he has the added motivation of sticking it to us for (gently) kicking him to team president. However cordial and complimentary both sides have been to each other Lou was not going quietly.

He's not "The Boss" in Toronto like he was here, but with the resources they have at their disposal he had to jump at that opportunity.