GDT 12-20 Nashville at Devils 7pm on MSG+

Satans Hockey

46 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I read a week or so ago that outside the top two picks, this draft is pretty horrendous, don't ask the source but I wanna say one of the TSN columnists in a draft article about one of the floundering Canadian teams.

It's Nolan Patrick's draft year. Does Vegas get the first pick? Maybe we'll be bad enough in a few years to get Joey Veleno. He's gonna be a game changer for whoever gets their hands on him.

Mr. Kowalski, expect a call this evening.  They were poorly prepared tonight, and they're so damn fragile. I guess they overachieved in first part of the year.

I'm thinking about all that "depth" we have waiting to come down.

Tough one.  Hall falls down, puck goes the other way, Merrill doesn't cover the 2 on 1, goal.  I forget how the puck ended up in Nashville's possession for goal #2 but that wasn't very good either, Wood doesn't cover the center of the ice, Schneider loses his angle, goal.  Rest of the night kind of spiraled from there.  

I actually didn't think the defensemen had that bad a night - although I was particularly aware of just how often Lovejoy throws the puck away rather than making a pass.  The forwards, though, were really bad, apart from the Bennett-Zacha-Parenteau line.  Hall had his worst game as a Devil, turnovers all over the ice, just lots of poor decisions.  Miles Wood was virtually invisible except for his huge mistake.  Henrique didn't play well and Palmieri appeared to be moved down to the 4th line for something which I didn't see.  Hynes noticed that Bennett-Zacha-PAP was the only line he had going - they started the 3rd.

If Hall and Schneider are going to play this way the team has no chance, either in the short term or the long run - thankfully I don't think they will.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Vegas I believe picks third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegas is put into the lottery as though they finished 3rd worst. So they can pick anywhere from first overall to 6th.

Edited by Triumph

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

Tough one.  Hall falls down, puck goes the other way, Merrill doesn't cover the 2 on 1, goal.  I forget how the puck ended up in Nashville's possession for goal #2 but that wasn't very good either, Wood doesn't cover the center of the ice, Schneider loses his angle, goal.  Rest of the night kind of spiraled from there.  

I actually didn't think the defensemen had that bad a night - although I was particularly aware of just how often Lovejoy throws the puck away rather than making a pass.  The forwards, though, were really bad, apart from the Bennett-Zacha-Parenteau line.  Hall had his worst game as a Devil, turnovers all over the ice, just lots of poor decisions.  Miles Wood was virtually invisible except for his huge mistake.  Henrique didn't play well and Palmieri appeared to be moved down to the 4th line for something which I didn't see.  Hynes noticed that Bennett-Zacha-PAP was the only line he had going - they started the 3rd.

If Hall and Schneider are going to play this way the team has no chance, either in the short term or the long run - thankfully I don't think they will.

Vegas picks as though they finished 3rd.  So they can pick anywhere from first overall to 6th.

Lovejoy, A waste of Icetime, he was horrible  with and without the puck tonite. 

4 minutes ago, PacificDevil said:

What's our record with Merrill, 0-19 by now? 

did he play the 2 on 1 like a fvcking dunce? yes. but he's actually been pretty good since he got back into the lineup. he's about number 14 on the list of problems with the Devils of the last 2 months.

look - hynes isn't going anywhere. I think he could win 10 more games this season and ray is sticking with him. that they're both talking about the "process" at this juncture makes it clear that winning is not the measuring stick this year. with that being said, these kind of efforts are unacceptable and they're happening way too often. players are making mistakes like they don't know what to do out there. these aren't dumb players. the key guys on this team have been in the league for long enough to follow a coach's direction if it's clear. the last two months have shown me that hynes is not a long term solution. this isn't two months of bad bounces. its two months of terrible play. until proven otherwise, i'm going to say that last year was cory being amazing and a team that had enough bad players on it that they went low event hockey and tried to not get embarrassed. hynes figured he could throw caution to the wind and push play w/ a defense corps that has no business playing that style and he's got his team playing at statistically unbelievably bad levels on every metric. they get out shot. they get their brains beat in on the scoreboard. they're not particularly good on specials. their adjustments are non-existent.

a team with taylor hall, travis zajac, kyle palmieri, damon severson, andy greene and cory schneider should not be the worst team in the league. the devils are the worst team in the league.

• Like 1

What does JJ learn while watching this team on the ice while he sits on the bench? He needs to play while some of these players that are doing very little take a trip to the bench. Can't be any worse. Or give him a chance and waive him along with DSP plus others. Bring on the AHL VB from Albany. We are moving in the right direction for the draft.

27 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

What does JJ learn while watching this team on the ice while he sits on the bench? He needs to play while some of these players that are doing very little take a trip to the bench. Can't be any worse. Or give him a chance and waive him along with DSP plus others. Bring on the AHL VB from Albany. We are moving in the right direction for the draft.

he's hurt. i'm pretty confident he'd be in there if he was healthy - either for kalinin or maybe even lappin (whose early season bloom is clearly off the rose).

34 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

did he play the 2 on 1 like a fvcking dunce? yes. but he's actually been pretty good since he got back into the lineup. he's about number 14 on the list of problems with the Devils of the last 2 months.

look - hynes isn't going anywhere. I think he could win 10 more games this season and ray is sticking with him. that they're both talking about the "process" at this juncture makes it clear that winning is not the measuring stick this year. with that being said, these kind of efforts are unacceptable and they're happening way too often. players are making mistakes like they don't know what to do out there. these aren't dumb players. the key guys on this team have been in the league for long enough to follow a coach's direction if it's clear. the last two months have shown me that hynes is not a long term solution. this isn't two months of bad bounces. its two months of terrible play. until proven otherwise, i'm going to say that last year was cory being amazing and a team that had enough bad players on it that they went low event hockey and tried to not get embarrassed. hynes figured he could throw caution to the wind and push play w/ a defense corps that has no business playing that style and he's got his team playing at statistically unbelievably bad levels on every metric. they get out shot. they get their brains beat in on the scoreboard. they're not particularly good on specials. their adjustments are non-existent.

a team with taylor hall, travis zajac, kyle palmieri, damon severson, andy greene and cory schneider should not be the worst team in the league. the devils are the worst team in the league.

Let's be clear - it's not 2 months of terrible play.  They started losing in November on that Western road trip, but the first real sh!tshow game was in San Jose one month ago.  But that speaks to a larger point - this is so obviously not the worst team in the league.  They're not at the bottom of the standings.  They're not even close.  They're not even close to the worst team territorially.  They don't have the worst PK or the worst power play.  They're a not great team getting all the wrong breaks.  I really don't think they played this game 5-1 awful tonight.  They just made some critically poor decisions and many of those bad decisions ended up in their net.  Meanwhile, Nashville's poor decisions didn't cost them.

I know I still have some debts outstanding but I'll bet double or nothing on whatever that number is that the Devils won't finish at the bottom - they won't even finish 2nd to last either, I'll give you that too.