Off Topic, but a Serious Post

jagknife

I'm so sorry to hear this jag. Good on you for posting this though- we do need to look out for one another and it's important to remember that there is always someone there to talk. Taking your own life is never the answer. My heartfelt condolences to you and your co-worker's family. [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Normally, I'd put an off topic post in another sub, but I feel it is important enough to post here.

As the holidays arrive, please, look out for one another, including your friends and family. This time of year is rough for some as they don't always feel included or just feel like they aren't valuable to anyone.

I bring this up because about 24 hours ago, I found out a coworker whom I looked up to and went to often for advice took his life in his home, leaving behind a family. He tragically becomes the fourth person I know this year to take their own life. I had no clue. He was always funny, laughing, telling stories and never gave any indication that something was wrong.

I'm writing this to remind everyone that there is always another answer. There is always someone out there who is 100% willing to talk, about anything, if you're feeling awful and like there is now help.

I'm not looking for sympathy, I just HATE feeling like I'm a bystander, so if you're having problems or whatever, direct message me here, find me on twitter [its the same as my handle here] or any other way and I'll be there to help.

Below are contact information for groups of people who are also willing to help and are just an anonymous phone call away.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 [This is also the recommended number for Veterans' Suicide Prevention]

In Canada each province has their own, but here is a link to find the one you may live in http://thelifelinecanada.ca/help/call/

Please please please look out for one another, if anything, we all have the thread of being Devils' fans in common. Never know, that small bond could end up being the ice breaker that could save someones live.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and any other holidays being celebrated this time of year!

All the best & Let's go Devils,

Jag

Sorry about your co worker, very nice post, timely. Thank you

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm so sorry to her this jag. Good on you for posting this though- we do need to look out for one another and it's important to remember that there is always someone there to talk. Taking your own life is never the answer. My heartfelt condolences to you and your co-worker's family. emoji26.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate it MD, some people here know my line of work, which makes it even more brutal but we've got an incredible support system in place and that's helping

• Like 1

I've shared my story here some time ago, but there was a time where I was suffering from severe depression, and all I'll say about it is that it is incredibly serious, and can be crippling and even physically painful.  If you think you might have a problem, talk to someone, get help.  Don't ignore it, think it will just go away on its own, or try to be "strong and silent".  

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2016 at 0:01 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've shared my story here some time ago, but there was a time where I was suffering from severe depression, and all I'll say about it is that it is incredibly serious, and can be crippling and even physically painful.  If you think you might have a problem, talk to someone, get help.  Don't ignore it, think it will just go away on its own, or try to be "strong and silent".  

I've not shared my struggle, which is ongoing, but can confirm you are 100% right. 

Coming to forums and cracking jokes helps a bit. 

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Tonight, we had our Christmas party and one of the first photos we featured was one that made me create this post nearly a year ago. My squadron is a tight knit group and it made me think of those on here.

We again approach the holiday season, and for some the holidays have already started, please look out for one another, and for those that feel like that would rather be alone, at the minimum reach out to them.

If anyone needs someone to talk to, for literally anything, message me here or the other avenues that I have made available through here, and I will be more than willing to talk. It just may take me a little bit or so to get back but I swear I will.

I know some may look at this post as a lame one or just blow it off, but for me, it hits way to close to home.

-Jag (KW)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jagknife said:

Tonight, we had our Christmas party and one of the first photos we featured was one that made me create this post nearly a year ago. My squadron is a tight knit group and it made me think of those on here.

We again approach the holiday season, and for some the holidays have already started, please look out for one another, and for those that feel like that would rather be alone, at the minimum reach out to them.

If anyone needs someone to talk to, for literally anything, message me here or the other avenues that I have made available through here, and I will be more than willing to talk. It just may take me a little bit or so to get back but I swear I will.

I know some may look at this post as a lame one or just blow it off, but for me, it hits way to close to home.

-Jag (KW)

You’re a good dude, that deserves mentioning. 

• Like 3

Just now, mfitz804 said:

You’re a good dude, that deserves mentioning. 

Appreciate it.

I know for a fact I was able to help another friend back in October when we were TDY together, and literally all I did was get tanked with him and get talking. Turns out we both were having similar problems following our most recent deployment, him more so. One of the best feelings in the world when I could actually relate and talk him through steps I had already gone through.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/25/2017 at 8:41 PM, mfitz804 said:

I've not shared my struggle, which is ongoing, but can confirm you are 100% right. 

Coming to forums and cracking jokes helps a bit. 

Same here after losing my wife of 28 years unexpectedly in Jan 2016.  The depression and dark times are pretty much endless.  Hang in there buddy and anybody else that is dealing with the daily struggle.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Wow Jag...all I’ve got to say is that I’m glad you’re not only a part of this community, but here in this world.  We’re all better for knowing you.

And as someone who once struggled with severe depression (and though I’m in much better shape now, it never really goes away entirely, at least not for me), if you ever feel like you need help or should talk to someone...don’t hesitate.  Don’t hope that it will just go away on its own, or worry that people will think you’re weak for not “sucking it up”.  Get help, talk!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow Jag...all I’ve got to say is that I’m glad you’re not only a part of this community, but here in this world.  We’re all better for knowing you.

And as someone who once struggled with severe depression (and though I’m in much better shape now, it never really goes away entirely, at least not for me), if you ever feel like you need help or should talk to someone...don’t hesitate.  Don’t hope that it will just go away on its own, or worry that people will think you’re weak for not “sucking it up”.  Get help, talk!

Absolutely agree, I don’t think it will ever go away, but is a hell of a lot more manageable, and that for me in itself a huge freaking relief. I never was put on medication nor was I told to stop flying when I went to talk and knowing my doctor had no intentions of stopping me from doing normal things also helped the recovery.

• Like 3