Off Topic, but a Serious Post

Wow Jag...all I’ve got to say is that I’m glad you’re not only a part of this community, but here in this world.  We’re all better for knowing you.

And as someone who once struggled with severe depression (and though I’m in much better shape now, it never really goes away entirely, at least not for me), if you ever feel like you need help or should talk to someone...don’t hesitate.  Don’t hope that it will just go away on its own, or worry that people will think you’re weak for not “sucking it up”.  Get help, talk!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow Jag...all I’ve got to say is that I’m glad you’re not only a part of this community, but here in this world.  We’re all better for knowing you.

And as someone who once struggled with severe depression (and though I’m in much better shape now, it never really goes away entirely, at least not for me), if you ever feel like you need help or should talk to someone...don’t hesitate.  Don’t hope that it will just go away on its own, or worry that people will think you’re weak for not “sucking it up”.  Get help, talk!

Absolutely agree, I don’t think it will ever go away, but is a hell of a lot more manageable, and that for me in itself a huge freaking relief. I never was put on medication nor was I told to stop flying when I went to talk and knowing my doctor had no intentions of stopping me from doing normal things also helped the recovery.

• Like 3
On 12/22/2016 at 7:21 PM, jagknife said:

Normally, I'd put an off topic post in another sub, but I feel it is important enough to post here.

As the holidays arrive, please, look out for one another, including your friends and family. This time of year is rough for some as they don't always feel included or just feel like they aren't valuable to anyone.

I bring this up because about 24 hours ago, I found out a coworker whom I looked up to and went to often for advice took his life in his home, leaving behind a family. He tragically becomes the fourth person I know this year to take their own life. I had no clue. He was always funny, laughing, telling stories and never gave any indication that something was wrong.

I'm writing this to remind everyone that there is always another answer. There is always someone out there who is 100% willing to talk, about anything, if you're feeling awful and like there is now help.

I'm not looking for sympathy, I just HATE feeling like I'm a bystander, so if you're having problems or whatever, direct message me here, find me on twitter [its the same as my handle here] or any other way and I'll be there to help.

Below are contact information for groups of people who are also willing to help and are just an anonymous phone call away.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 [This is also the recommended number for Veterans' Suicide Prevention]

In Canada each province has their own, but here is a link to find the one you may live in http://thelifelinecanada.ca/help/call/

Please please please look out for one another, if anything, we all have the thread of being Devils' fans in common. Never know, that small bond could end up being the ice breaker that could save someones live.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and any other holidays being celebrated this time of year!

All the best & Let's go Devils,

Jag

Jags, Awesome post my brother ! Huge thumbs up...............

Happy Holidays..............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Same here for me the struggle never gets easier in fact quite the opposite. It can be a cruel cruel world and we'll never know what others around us are struggling with. . At my most recent brain injury support group meeting a question came up would you wish your situation on your worst enemy and all 12 of us said hell no.  Speaks volumes when you think about that for a second. As someone who's lost three extremely successful career VP level corp execs peers within the last 5 years along with my wife the pain underneath the surface is insanely real.

So love harder, hug longer and never ever take anything for granted. 

JAG thank you for opening up this can of worms a few years back, without it  I would of always hidden the monsters that are so real in my mind. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Jag for the post. It is very important to me to hear and see others who not only want to help but also identify with SD. Holidays have always been a very difficult time for me especially my younger years in E. Rutherford. 6 years ago I hit rock bottom and got sober it really felt like I could not live another day. 6 years later I still suffer at this time of year but I also live in a solution today. I also help by volunteering for programs at the Covenant  House which has help ease the pain of my younger years. Like Jag said if you need help talk about about it, Now one needs to be alone. 

Edited by Devs1965
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now seeing this entire thread.  I echo Jags sentiments and if anyone ever needs to talk, about anything, I'm an ear.  Fire away.  No judgments or anything at all, I'm just happy to listen.  

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you, my friends.  You're like family. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/21/2019 at 9:54 AM, vadvlfan said:

Great and appropriate post! All of us have folks in our lives that are troubled and you'd never know it.  

Just being present to those who are hurting may mean more to them than you know.  We need to be there for those others.  Merry Christmas everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought about this thread a lot today. Had Christmas Eve with my girlfriends family and the last 5 years have felt "off" since her father took his own life. Something feels missing and it is. And we all have to dance around the fact that he's not here anymore and it kills me to see her mother sit in the corner and watch us play with his grandkids who may not remember him someday. I lost my father almost 8 years ago to kidney failure and I know Christmas will never be the same. You get used to the loss, but you're never really over it. The only thing that helps me through the holidays is knowing I am her rock and she's mine. The point of my rambling tonight is: appreciate what you have when you have it, and if you love someone; show them every chance you can. Because someday, you might wish you had more. 

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Thought about this thread a lot today. Had Christmas Eve with my girlfriends family and the last 5 years have felt "off" since her father took his own life. Something feels missing and it is. And we all have to dance around the fact that he's not here anymore and it kills me to see her mother sit in the corner and watch us play with his grandkids who may not remember him someday. I lost my father almost 8 years ago to kidney failure and I know Christmas will never be the same. You get used to the loss, but you're never really over it. The only thing that helps me through the holidays is knowing I am her rock and she's mine. The point of my rambling tonight is: appreciate what you have when you have it, and if you love someone; show them every chance you can. Because someday, you might wish you had more. 

A beautiful reminder. My nana who passed away 7 years ago just after Christmas always used to inundate us with “please pose for this photo!” We’d roll our eyes, it took away from the fun, we thought. 

this year someone asked why we have so many photos of our family Christmases from the 90s and 2000-2010s but hardly any since.

wish we didn’t groan so much. 

• Like 5
  • 6 months later...
7 hours ago, jagknife said:

Tonight, I walked off of my plane for the last time. I’ll be honest with everyone, it’s been a brutal last few days knowing I won’t fly with 95% of these people again and more than likely won’t do what I’ve been doing for the last 6 years anymore. While it is nearly 100% by choice, it still doesn’t make it any easier.

This thread has been my annual way to remind people to look out for one another, but as I walk away from the home I’ve known for the better part of a decade, I felt a bump was in order, since this place was what drove me to do so in the first place.

We had a handful of friends over this past weekend, cracked open some good drinks and cigars and shared stories. So I’m in a good place, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I looked like a Mark Messier going away ceremony...

Stay healthy my friends, be excellent to each other and (eventually) Lets go Devils!!!

-Jag

Cheers

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, eldon said:

Stay well, positive and confident. 

I am, all of the above, just bittersweet to leave this community. Really excited for what’s to come, but it was definitely one of those moments sponsored by Kleenex.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

but it was definitely one of those moments sponsored by Kleenex.

The less fun kind of such moments.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Haha 3
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, jagknife said:

Tonight, I walked off of my plane for the last time. I’ll be honest with everyone, it’s been a brutal last few days knowing I won’t fly with 95% of these people again and more than likely won’t do what I’ve been doing for the last 6 years anymore. While it is nearly 100% by choice, it still doesn’t make it any easier.

This thread has been my annual way to remind people to look out for one another, but as I walk away from the home I’ve known for the better part of a decade, I felt a bump was in order, since this place was what drove me to do so in the first place.

We had a handful of friends over this past weekend, cracked open some good drinks and cigars and shared stories. So I’m in a good place, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I looked like a Mark Messier going away ceremony...

Stay healthy my friends, be excellent to each other and (eventually) Lets go Devils!!!

-Jag

Stay strong Jag, be well, healthy and continue to find that inner peace and hold onto it.

Goes for the rest of you guys as well. There's a whole lot more important stuff going on than if we're gonna suck less if and when the next season starts. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1