Whom Should the Devils Attempt to Acquire?

Sharifijanov2099

Whether there is any chance of making the playoffs or not this season, it seems a team like NJ always needs to be on the lookout for potential trades that enhance our future.  With the talk of Landeskog in the news lately, what players do you think might be good targets?  I'd love Landeskog (even with his extended contract), but that would likely cost something the Devils cannot afford to pay.

How about a guy like Boone Jenner on CLB?  30 goals last year.  But this year has been in Torts' doghouse for much of the season and is having a garbage year based on last year's output.  If Columbus is a true contender come deadline time, why not throw them P.A. Parenteau+Henrique for a guy like Jenner?  If they think they have a legit shot to win, wouldn't they consider an offer like that?  Allows us not to give up prospects or picks, but acquire a potential top 6 guy with grit and scoring ability.  

Edited by bekim
Mistaken player name

35 minutes ago, bekim said:

Whether there is any chance of making the playoffs or not this season, it seems a team like NJ always needs to be on the lookout for potential trades that enhance our future.  With the talk of Landeskog in the news lately, what players do you think might be good targets?  I'd love Landeskog (even with his extended contract), but that would likely cost something the Devils cannot afford to pay.

How about a guy like Boone Jenner on CLB?  30 goals last year.  But this year has been in Torts' doghouse for much of the season and is having a garbage year based on last year's output.  If Columbus is a true contender come deadline time, why not throw them P.A. Parenteau+Henrique for a guy like Jenner?  If they think they have a legit shot to win, wouldn't they consider an offer like that?  Allows us not to give up prospects or picks, but acquire a potential top 6 guy with grit and scoring ability.  

Jenner, hmm very interested. Nice physical center/ and winger. I'd say yes. and still young

Not very interested in Jenner, I just see him as a slightly more physical Henrique.  I am interested in dealing Henrique, but the Devils need to get a center back somewhere in order to make that deal.  

Shero should be on the horn to all the dumb teams in the league as much as possible.  That seems to be how he got Taylor Hall and it's how he should end up nabbing a center from a dumb team.   Unfortunately the Avs are dumb but they don't seem to have any centers or defensemen the Devils should be interested in.  But Anaheim?  Call them often.

• Like 1

Jenner filled in at center for stretches in CLB last year and did well.  Granted, he's not expressly a center or anything.  I like that he had about 3 shots per game last season.  I have a feeling PAP is only gonna fetch a 2nd rounder at best this year, and even that could be magical thinking.  I don't see Henrique as a terribly competent center himself, so I think Jenner would be an upgrade to that roster spot.  Granted, overall Tri, you are right.  But centers seem difficult to come by most years.  Henrique is turning 27 next month, I believe.  Jenner is 23.

Are there any centers available currently in their team's respective doghouse that might be of interest?  

42 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I like Ryan Spooner, who seems undervalued by the Bruins.  I'd trade Henrique and Helgeson for Spooner and Jimmy Hayes and something else (Colin Miller? 2017 2nd?  2017 1st?)  and pick up some minor part of Henrique's contract besides.  

i'd be shocked if they deal henrique in season. although, if the bruins are fighting for the playoffs again, maybe they'll overpay for henrique. i don't love hayes or spooner enough to deal Henrique for them though. i don't think boston would trade next year's 1st either. they only have that and edmonton's second. they have no 3rd or 5th rounders next year.

the expansion draft is going to make things interesting also - columbus is going to have to move someone good. is anaheim dumb enough to deal rakell?

46 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i'd be shocked if they deal henrique in season. although, if the bruins are fighting for the playoffs again, maybe they'll overpay for henrique. i don't love hayes or spooner enough to deal Henrique for them though. i don't think boston would trade next year's 1st either. they only have that and edmonton's second. they have no 3rd or 5th rounders next year.

the expansion draft is going to make things interesting also - columbus is going to have to move someone good. is anaheim dumb enough to deal rakell?

Hayes is only included in the deal for 2 reasons - to balance out the money for next year and to get the Devils another forward who can be exposed to the expansion draft.  They can buy him out.

I would definitely do this deal depending on how desirable the third thing in this deal was.  I would certainly do it for Colin Milller and would protect him in the expansion draft over anyone else the Devils currently have.

32 minutes ago, Matt Terrormina said:

Henrique for Trouba straight up. Then throw the bank at Shattenkirk

Trouba - Shattenkirk

Greene - Severson

Auvitu - Santini 

Yes please 

both trouba and shattenkirk are RH d that play the right side. while you can certainly play on your off side, it's not the best use of roster management either. i don't totally hate the idea though. but if you're going to get shattenkirk for 7/53 (and that's gonna be what it takes), then I'd rather use henrique for something else.

you're also assuming that lovejoy is gone (which of course i pray happens but just isn't likely).

additionally - you've got two guys (greene and santini) that you'd be ok w/ on the PK. none of the other guys are PK guys or great defensively.

42 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

both trouba and shattenkirk are RH d that play the right side. while you can certainly play on your off side, it's not the best use of roster management either. i don't totally hate the idea though. but if you're going to get shattenkirk for 7/53 (and that's gonna be what it takes), then I'd rather use henrique for something else.

you're also assuming that lovejoy is gone (which of course i pray happens but just isn't likely).

additionally - you've got two guys (greene and santini) that you'd be ok w/ on the PK. none of the other guys are PK guys or great defensively.

Ahh good catch, I forgot Trouba is a RHD. Shattenkirk is certainly appealing, I'd have to imagine we're in the running to an extent since the rumors are that he would prefer to be close to home, but competing with the rangers and bruins doesn't help. Trouba being only 22 and having the better defensive capabilities is certainly attractive in its own right. 

I think the biggest areas of concern should obviously be defense and then also some legitimate middle 6 forwards. We have our top line guy in Hall and some good supporting players around him, but we really get throttled when we roll out our third line with guys like DSP and we just can't match the depth of other teams. I'd really like to see us look into seeing if Arizona would be willing to move Toby Rieder, love what he brings and think he could bring some good skill and offensive punch to a 3rd line.

I think our strongest need is top 4 D man like Shattenkirk. (or similar) We struggle getting out of our o-zone cleanly & can't handle good forecheck.  Severson/Merrill still not totally reliable.  was hoping Helgeson would show us something.  I feel good about Santini, but he needs more seasoning. 

9 hours ago, Joonas #6 said:

We should start looking at the Penguins roster. We'll probably get someone from their organization. 

Just as Lou used to salivate at the idea of signing washed up ex-Devils, Shero seems to enjoy the same game with his former club. Only saving grace I suppose is he doesn't throw crazy money at them. But still...it's annoying.

• Like 1