Whom Should the Devils Attempt to Acquire?

Sharifijanov2099

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We'll have to overpay though. Like, really overpay. Not saying I'd be against it necessarily, just stating the reality of the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With our payroll, we can stand to overpay a guy or three in order to get some talent here. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

We'll have to overpay though. Like, really overpay. Not saying I'd be against it necessarily, just stating the reality of the situation.

It would probably be worth it as he'd immediately become our best defender.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

It would probably be worth it as he'd immediately become our best defender.

Made me wonder which of our defense we were already overpaying. Numbers are without bonuses, courtesy of CapFriendly:

Lovejoy $2,500,000 (wow, what a turd we paid 3 years/$8 million for!!)

Moore $1,750,000 

Auvitu - $792,000

Helgeson $600,000

Greene $5 million

Severson $600,000

Merrill $1,275,000

Quincey $1,250,000

Santini $925,000

I say we are already overpaying for what we are getting from 4 of those guys, and a fifth if you count Andy Greene starting to break down and losing a step. Greene still has another 3 years at $5 million per, I am not sure you are getting that kind of value from him at this point. 

Looking at those numbers, there's definitely room to pay Shattenkirk, especially if in a perfect world Vegas claims Lovejoy.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Made me wonder which of our defense we were already overpaying. Numbers are without bonuses, courtesy of CapFriendly:

Moore $1,750,000 

Auvitu - $792,000

Helgeson $600,000

Greene $5 million

Severson $600,000

Merrill $1,275,000

Quincey $1,250,000

Santini $925,000

I say we are already overpaying for what we are getting from 4 of those guys, and a fifth if you count Andy Greene starting to break down and losing a step. Greene still has another 3 years at $5 million per, I am not sure you are getting that kind of value from him at this point. 

Looking at those numbers, there's definitely room to pay Shattenkirk, especially if in a perfect world Vegas claims Lovejoy.

Looking at that list I'd gladly overpay Shattenkirk. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

With our payroll, we can stand to overpay a guy or three in order to get some talent here. 

NJ would not just have to overpay $ to keep high caliber players in NJ right now, but also overpay on the trade block. Like some have mentioned, the team doesn't have a lot of NHL level talent right now and a lot of it is mediocre. Trading away one of our few more proven top young players, like Severson+, at this point would be crippling... there is simply no one to fill the gaps. Then, you have to hope you can keep the guy when his contract is up. It is a damn good thing Schneider is locked up, it's going to take Shero years to put something competitive in front of him and god knows the guy wants to get a shot at winning something.

Edited by NJDevils1214

6 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

I prefer Cam Fowler over Shattenkirk.

I do in principal, except that Fowler would require a trade to add him for next season, you can just sign Shattenkirk. Of course, maybe it's easier to trade and add a guy to our trash heap rather than trying to convince a free agent it's a good idea. 

This is from Lebrun

The New Jersey Devils are an intriguing team ahead of the March 1 trade deadline and beyond. They're one of the very few teams in the league with lots of salary cap space plus they've got 18 draft picks at their disposal over the next two years, including four second-rounders and four third-rounders. Between the cap space and the picks, I believe the Devils plan to use that as assets to try and pry a good player or two from teams that are cap-strung and may be having issues re-signing some guys. I'm not saying there's another Taylor Hall out there for the Devils but certainly, GM Ray Shero has some assets at his disposal whether it's before March 1 or in the off-season to try and upgrade his team.

Doesn't seem to be based on any inside information, just speculation.  I have admittedly not been following the rest of the league this season as its too depressing to pay attention too long to teams that are relevant.  So I'm not sure what teams are looking to unload contracts during the season.  I guess there's Shattenkirk, but that deal would be dependent on an extension being worked out beforehand, plus I think the Blues are going to go for it this year and just deal with losing Shattenkirk for nothing.

The Devils don't have 4 third-round picks over the next 2 years, but other than that, yeah.  I feel like Shero talks to journalists way more than Lou did, but the Devils definitely have plenty of room to take on a contract.   The question is whether they should be aiming to take on a team's bad deal and get a reward for that or whether they should want to try to take on a decent one but have to pay a price for it.  I doubt very much they will be doing anything substantial before the trade deadline.

8 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The Devils don't have 4 third-round picks over the next 2 years, but other than that, yeah.  I feel like Shero talks to journalists way more than Lou did, but the Devils definitely have plenty of room to take on a contract.   The question is whether they should be aiming to take on a team's bad deal and get a reward for that or whether they should want to try to take on a decent one but have to pay a price for it.  I doubt very much they will be doing anything substantial before the trade deadline.

What terrible contracts are left that teams are looking to get rid of that weren't already unloaded?  I guess there's Columbus that would love to get rid of Clarkson or Hartnell.  I know Anaheim is always having cap issues, but I think Fowler is overrated.  

One crazy idea is trying to deal for Seabrook.  I think he's still a good, but overpaid defenseman on a deal that Chicago can't really afford.  I figure he's got a no move clause though.  

I predict a very boring trade deadline for the entire league. This offseason should be exciting though.

TSN is reporting that the Flyers are a team looking to a dump a player because of the cap. The name that has been tossed around is Mark Streit. He is on the last year of his deal. I wouldn't mind the Devils getting him and a draft pick. Might as well get more draft picks

Seabrook is a disaster, the Devils would need at least two 1st round picks from Chicago to take that on.  That saiid, there are still plenty of bad contracts around the league, even beyond Columbus, and there will be more if the players vote down the cap inflator.  There just aren't the obvious targets anymore - Pronger, Savard, and Datsyuk's contracts all end this year.  (Although I suppose Arizona could toll Datsyuk's contract, I don't see a compelling reason for them to do so)

• Like 1

Bump this thread - what about Cam Fowler?  Seems to have a ton of upside and might be on his way out because of the Duck's cap situation.

And I know it's not exactly trading from a position of strength anymore, but if Colorado sends Duchene our way for Severson I do it in a heart beat and worry about the defense afterwards.

Edited by Devilsfan118

On 1/11/2017 at 2:15 PM, mfitz804 said:

Moore $1,750,000 

Auvitu - $792,000

Helgeson $600,000

Greene $5 million

Severson $600,000

Merrill $1,275,000

Quincey $1,250,000

Santini $925,000

You and I seem to normally agree on a lot of things, but how can you look at that list and say anyone is overpaid, except for maybe Greene?  You have ONE defenseman outside of your very best guy who's making more than two million.  That's insane.  Moore might be a little high priced given the fact that he's been hurt a little this year, but I still think he makes fewer mistakes than the others and is fairly reliable, and he does contribute offensively here and there, so at 1.75 I won't say he's overpaid.  All the others... they're making what has to be at or near league-minimum.  $600k for Severson?  I get that it's still probably his entry level contract I'm assuming, but still, that's a bargain at the moment considering he's our number two defenseman.  Auvitu, Helgeson, Santini, all on similar contracts, but all sub 1M, so nothing about those are overpaid.  The only real question then is probably Quincey, but again...I don't think you can say 1.25M is overpaid, even if the guy is playing like dogsh!t.  That kind of price tag is nothing in today's NHL.  Granted defensemen don't get paid the way forwards do, but still... 1.25M is chump change.  

I didn't really mean they were overpaid, I added the caveat "for what we are getting". I.e. paying Lovejoy $2,500,000 to lay a giant turd at center ice every night is not a very good use of $2,500,000. 

I don't think any of them are overpaid if you compare to what other guys are getting. I'm just annoyed that our defense is so awful night in and night out. 

I'd be shocked if Lovejoy plays out his contract. He's garbage in year 1; how will he look in year 3? The Devils don't have any horrific contracts a la Parise, Toews, Giroux, etc...they are in a great position to fleece someone. I don't mind taking a dump that's useful like Maatta. He fits the age Shero is looking for, has upside, but is overpaid for what he has shown. If the Devils are going to spend a first (likely 5-10), they sure as hell be getting a top line forward or top 4 dman with upside

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn't really mean they were overpaid, I added the caveat "for what we are getting". I.e. paying Lovejoy $2,500,000 to lay a giant turd at center ice every night is not a very good use of $2,500,000. 

I don't think any of them are overpaid if you compare to what other guys are getting. I'm just annoyed that our defense is so awful night in and night out. 

True.  I can't disagree with any of that...they're definitely not performing to what I would consider acceptable standards.  I just think even at those prices, it's really hard to get much lower than that.  Most of our guys are at or around league minimum already, and the ones that aren't really aren't much higher lol.  Granted we don't have any Doughty's or Shattenkirk's of the world (yet), but if/when we have another D-man of that caliber, we're going to have to be prepared to pay him a LOT more than what any of our current guys are making, aside from Greene of course.

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True.  I can't disagree with any of that...they're definitely not performing to what I would consider acceptable standards.  I just think even at those prices, it's really hard to get much lower than that.  Most of our guys are at or around league minimum already, and the ones that aren't really aren't much higher lol.  Granted we don't have any Doughty's or Shattenkirk's of the world (yet), but if/when we have another D-man of that caliber, we're going to have to be prepared to pay him a LOT more than what any of our current guys are making, aside from Greene of course.

If you are asking me, I am well beyond prepared for them to do that.